United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Unread 10-10-2010, 10:18 AM
History

Default anyone ever suffered from depression?

tbh ive not had the best year of my life, and my moods have been getting worse throughout the year i cant be arsed going out or doing anything, i try to cover it up in front of my family, but its been getting worse. Then to top it off yesterday i lost my dad to cancer in the morning.

now im confused, as i don't know if it is depression or am i just mourning?

Unread 10-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Switching Off

Default Re: anyone ever suffered from depression?

Sorry about your Dad History

Unread 10-10-2010, 10:30 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
tbh ive not had the best year of my life, and my moods have been getting worse throughout the year i cant be arsed going out or doing anything, i try to cover it up in front of my family, but its been getting worse. Then to top it off yesterday i lost my dad to cancer in the morning.

sorry to hear that mate, things like this always seem to kick a man when he's already at a low ebb. lost my dad to cancer near 15 years ago now, it does get easier with time, the pain will ease but the memories will stay.

there's no reason it can't be both (mourning and depression). don't be ashamed to see a doctor and get referred, an illness is an illness whether it's in the head or anywhere else.

Unread 10-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Poop

I'd imagine you've been understandably on a downer during the duration of your dad's illness. Obviously you need to mourn but as much as you may not feel like it you really should try and make yourself get out of the house. Even something like bringing the dog for a walk can be surprisingly therapeutic. Being cooped up indoors during a traumatic time can be seriously unhealthy.

wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
sorry to hear that mate, things like this always seem to kick a man when he's already at a low ebb. lost my dad to cancer near 15 years ago now, it does get easier with time, the pain will ease but the memories will stay.

there's no reason it can't be both (mourning and depression). don't be ashamed to see a doctor and get referred, an illness is an illness whether it's in the head or anywhere else.
good words these.

Very sorry to hear of you lost mate. God bless.

Mr_Ed

Yes I was back in 2002... My dad died and marriage went tits up... Counselling is far better than staying on drugs in the long term.

Sorry to hear it tho... Keep your chin up fella.

Unread 10-10-2010, 10:49 AM
History

thanks, was seriously considering Counselling anyway. Thinks it's a must now

Unread 10-10-2010, 10:52 AM
thatsfuctit

Sorry to hear that mate - I went through some strange emotions and moods when I lost my Dad, but i felt as though I just had to 'get on with it', I don't mean that in a bravado sort of way, but if I am not working I'm not earning and also there was the whole looking after my mum thing.

I probably did too much - but I think keeping busy and doing stuff you like is much better than isolating yourself and not going out as IMO all that time will, if you aren't careful, allow you to dwell and sink deeper into the moods you are feeling.

I've seen it up close with other people. I'd agree with going and talking to your doctor first and discussing what's what, a close friend went on drugs to help, and as they said it might, things got worse for a few days before they got better, and I believe they became a prop.

Talk to someone and take care fella

Unread 10-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Ginners

sorry to hear that mate, get some ftfc in your life

Unread 10-10-2010, 11:26 AM
stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by History

I haven't suffered myself thankfully, but it is incredibly common. I know several people who suffer quite badly (including two family members) and definitely benefit from getting help and not bottling it up.

All the best.