United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer
Closed Thread
 
Unread 23-01-2010, 10:27 PM
borsuk
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
The full text from today's programme:-

"One for all, and all for one... its a terrible cliche, but nevertheless it does sum up one of the essentials for success in team sport.

The family of Manchester United is under pressure as a result of all the issues and controversies surrounding the ownership and financial situation of the club that have been stirred up in the media.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to express disapproval if the don't like what they see around them. Just as it has always been the right of the fans to let it be known if they are not happy with the way their team are playing.

I'm not slow to express disapproval myself if something I don't agree with - even in the boardroom with the directors. But once I walk out of the meeting I get on with my job as manager of the team.


Some of our fans are clearly unhappy with the financial position, but we mustn't allow the situation to become divisive. The danger, as I see it, is that we could be presented as being split, which would be harmful and inaccurate because I believe the vast majority of United fans are behind us and appreciate the importance of standing together in support of the team.

I could see our opponents rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of watching us fall out among ourselves if we don't all think carefully about what we are doing.

We must not lose our focus - which, from where I stand, is about building a strong football team that will win trophies. That's what we are about, or at least should be.

We must remain loyal to the cause of Manchester United. The staff and players should be quite one-eyed about that, and stay true to the history of the club and all the work done by Sir Matt Busby and the other managers who have contributed to creating the great club we have at Old Trafford today.

This is not about stifling criticism; it's simply a plea to stand together rather than take action that will damage ourselves more than anyone else.

Manchester United is bigger than me, the players, the directors, officials and the fans. And particularly at this critical stage of our season, we need to pull in the same direction.

It would be a shame to lose our concentration now because I can really see light at the end of the tunnel as we ready ourselves to push for the championship."
this has been trailed in the media as 'fergie tells the fans to shut it' but if you read what he says it's something much more nuanced imo.

it would be very easy for fergie to say concentrate on the play, support the team, don't worry about the rest'. but he doesn't. in fact, he explicitly says fans have a right to protest about off-field issues as much as on-field performance.

the reference to busby etc is interesting as well. appealing to united's history, and saying the club is bigger than any individuals, could be read two ways - as a play on emotions to stop 'disruption', or as a reference to the greatness of united, to the 'cause' of manchester united, not the club's policy, owners or directors but the values of the club.


there's more than one way to read this, you know. read it again and think about it. to my eyes, fergie is effectively defending the right of the fans to protest, express opinions and disapproval - of financial issues just as much as performance on the field, while reminding supporters to support the team when they take the field. in other words, you have a duty to support the shirts but a right to criticise and protest. or, in other words again, love united, hate glazer.
 
Unread 23-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Ethers
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

I think what hes saying is spot on.
 
Unread 23-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Billy Bigbollox
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
this has been trailed in the media as 'fergie tells the fans to shut it' but if you read what he says it's something much more nuanced imo.

it would be very easy for fergie to say concentrate on the play, support the team, don't worry about the rest'. but he doesn't. in fact, he explicitly says fans have a right to protest about off-field issues as much as on-field performance.

the reference to busby etc is interesting as well. appealing to united's history, and saying the club is bigger than any individuals, could be read two ways - as a play on emotions to stop 'disruption', or as a reference to the greatness of united, to the 'cause' of manchester united, not the club's policy, owners or directors but the values of the club.


there's more than one way to read this, you know. read it again and think about it. to my eyes, fergie is effectively defending the right of the fans to protest, express opinions and disapproval - of financial issues just as much as performance on the field, while reminding supporters to support the team when they take the field. in other words, you have a duty to support the shirts but a right to criticise and protest. or, in other words again, love united, hate glazer.
That's a pretty fair point tbh. This is quoted on the MEN website

Quote:
Pleas for unity from Ferguson in his programme notes went unheeded with noisy and regular anti-Glazer chants of varying degrees of vulgarity echoed around the ground.

"There was no dissent against the players," said the United boss. "It did not have any effect at all."
I read that as the fans can protest all they want against the Glazers but not against the team/club etc
 
Unread 23-01-2010, 10:36 PM
ScarFace
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

There is nothing he or you can do, wearing green and gold does nothing, nor does protesting.

Unless you have a billion, you're powerless.
 
Unread 24-01-2010, 12:15 AM
stax
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
this has been trailed in the media as 'fergie tells the fans to shut it' but if you read what he says it's something much more nuanced imo.

it would be very easy for fergie to say concentrate on the play, support the team, don't worry about the rest'. but he doesn't. in fact, he explicitly says fans have a right to protest about off-field issues as much as on-field performance.

the reference to busby etc is interesting as well. appealing to united's history, and saying the club is bigger than any individuals, could be read two ways - as a play on emotions to stop 'disruption', or as a reference to the greatness of united, to the 'cause' of manchester united, not the club's policy, owners or directors but the values of the club.


there's more than one way to read this, you know. read it again and think about it. to my eyes, fergie is effectively defending the right of the fans to protest, express opinions and disapproval - of financial issues just as much as performance on the field, while reminding supporters to support the team when they take the field. in other words, you have a duty to support the shirts but a right to criticise and protest. or, in other words again, love united, hate glazer.
At what point in this saga is being nuanced not enough. Given Fergies background, surely he must be incredibly uncomfortable about the whole Glazer model of doing business, but he doesn't speak out about it. Surely at some point, the day to day business of keeping Utd competitive and supporting the team on the pitch is over ridden with the long-term good of the club we all love.
 
Unread 24-01-2010, 09:31 AM
LaPaz
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
At what point in this saga is being nuanced not enough. Given Fergies background, surely he must be incredibly uncomfortable about the whole Glazer model of doing business, but he doesn't speak out about it. Surely at some point, the day to day business of keeping Utd competitive and supporting the team on the pitch is over ridden with the long-term good of the club we all love.
The Xm a year he's paid buys the Glazers a lot comfort as far as Fergie is concerned.

In reality you can't expect anyone in Fergusons position to do anything but tow the party line, same goes for Gill, they will look after themselves first, second & third while still pontificatinmg about the 'Manchester United family'
 
Unread 24-01-2010, 10:00 AM
stax
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
The Xm a year he's paid buys the Glazers a lot comfort as far as Fergie is concerned.

In reality you can't expect anyone in Fergusons position to do anything but tow the party line, same goes for Gill, they will look after themselves first, second & third while still pontificatinmg about the 'Manchester United family'
Sadly, that's probably correct. I dare say him and Gill have something in their contracts about keeping quiet as well.
 
Unread 24-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Zorg
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
in fact, he explicitly says fans have a right to protest about off-field issues as much as on-field performance.
So what made him change his mind? How did he go from 'organisations such as IMUSA can only be good for the game', to 'they carried on to the extent that they thought they should actually have a say in the running of the club', to 'if you don't like it, go and support Chelsea', to this?

Sorry borsuk, but it's pretty clear to me he knows he backed himself into a corner praising the cunts and telling the fans to stop moaning. Now we're shown to have been right all along, he's stuck, so he resorts to pathetic nonsense about Matt Busby to make everyone feel bad.
 
Unread 24-01-2010, 11:07 AM
elephantstone
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

Money changes everything
 
Unread 24-01-2010, 11:33 AM
wonky no
 
Default Re: Today's Fergie programme notes

in short:

turn a blind eye and i'll get you a trophy.


its like allowing your mrs to get butt fucked every night by random blokes in your local as long as she gives you a nosh on your birthday.
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Copyright 2006 - 2018 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.