United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:33 AM
HarkNowHear

Default 1968 and then what

Champions of Europe.

The team finished mid table the following season. The Kings injury started to restrict his appearances.

Charlton retires, the complete back four gone. George losing interest, our new attacking signing manages 40 games or so before injury finishes career.

The new kids in town with a sprinkling of the old guard struggle and we end up in division two losing ten games 1-0

It probably did the club the world of good to be honest and that season in division two was fantastic on many fronts.

I am in no way suggesting relegation but is there a rocky road in the not too distant future ? Still in 4 competitions I know but realistically how many will we still be after come Easter ?

Crazy injury list that would fell any club.

I am fearing a return to mediocrity after the magnificence of the last 15 years unless the squad is strengthened sooner rather than later.

O level in the obvious I'm afraid but history does have a habit of repeating itself.

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:35 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default Re: 1968 and then what

Well, you win the prize.

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:36 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Well, you win the prize.
I didnt enter a competition

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:39 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
I didnt enter a competition
Oh you did, you entered it and won, whether you knew or not. Well done.

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:41 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Oh you did, you entered it and won, whether you knew or not. Well done.

Oooh a secret one. What is the prize and will it arrive before Friday ?

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:42 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Oooh a secret one. What is the prize and will it arrive before Friday ?
They prize is a long dark tunnel with no end for you to wander down. Enjoy.

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:44 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
They prize is a long dark tunnel with no end for you to wander down. Enjoy.

Shit prize, give it to charity.

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:44 AM
dunk

£#%&!ing hell Hark.

There are stark differences between the make up of the club/squad/management team back in '68 and now, if you can't see them, I'm not £#%&!ing explaining it.

Jeez.

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:48 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
£#%&!ing hell Hark.

There are stark differences between the make up of the club/squad/management team back in '68 and now, if you can't see them, I'm not £#%&!ing explaining it.

Jeez.

Im aware of that dunk. It is a very different game too. We were at the forefront back then and have been for the last decade or so. We let our guard down 40 years ago. I hope we dont this time. The financial situation and none spending alongside the injury list is a worry.

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:55 AM
no fun

I have to spring to Harks defence here

the last time he was at Old Trafford he witnessed that old bloke in the bowler hat with the jesus banner having an arguement with a young lad selling football pinks (half time scores, racing results), then once he got in the ground and purchased a bovril and a wagon wheel from one of the lads who walked round the edge of the pitch he settled down in his usual spot ( stretford end paddock, near the players tunnel on the half way line.)

the game was a huge let down - a 4-1 defeat to southampton, with Ian Ure and Tommy Oniell failing to defend corners, jim macalliog having a nightmare in midfield and ted macdougall isolated up front.

Poor old Hark had to get on 3 buses to get home, and he missed the generation game on telly

give the old goat some slack, if he saw OT as it is now and actually saw some of the players in real life, he would have a more positive outlook

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:55 AM
dunk

Yeah, but the non-spending, or perceived non-spending, is alongside a first team squad of 30+ players, most of whom are in the formative years in their careers.

Everyone fit, we could put out 2 teams that would finish top 6 in the PL without adding anyone.

Don't panic.

Unread 21-12-2009, 12:04 PM
HarkNowHear

We were very fortunate when the last lot of kids came through and turned out to be very special. I am a touch wary that not many of this lot will make the United grade. That alongside the spine of the team (sidelined) plus the loss of the lad to Madrid has made us weaker than we have been for some time. As stated elsewhere it is a remarkable achievement that we are where we are. I am not usually a doom monger as I have seen us when we were proper £#%&!. I'd just prefer the jigsaw pieces to be falling into place a little quicker than they actually are.

Unread 21-12-2009, 01:19 PM
hopkins

well said hark, peaks and troughs

too many have been spoilt by recent success and too much arse is being seen

Unread 21-12-2009, 01:24 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins
well said hark, peaks and troughs

too many have been spoilt by recent success and too much arse is being seen
Eh? Like Hark predicting some kind of Biblical armageddon at the club after a coupla bad results during an injuy crisis.

Unread 21-12-2009, 01:58 PM
no fun

its all his fault if we lose to wigan and hull

Unread 21-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

found myself drifting back to 1974 yesterday while i was driving

4-2-4, the Doc, save all your kisses for me, 3 wembleys in 4 years, hill, coppell - daly to £#%&!ing derby - that big ponce mcqueen...

snapped out of it when i realised i was actually welling up. those were the days.

Unread 21-12-2009, 03:48 PM
red in cumbria

£#%&!ing hell Hark, just when I was starting to cheer up too

But you are wrong, of course

Unread 21-12-2009, 04:45 PM
M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
I have to spring to Harks defence here

the last time he was at Old Trafford he witnessed that old bloke in the bowler hat with the jesus banner having an arguement with a young lad selling football pinks (half time scores, racing results), then once he got in the ground and purchased a bovril and a wagon wheel from one of the lads who walked round the edge of the pitch he settled down in his usual spot ( stretford end paddock, near the players tunnel on the half way line.)

the game was a huge let down - a 4-1 defeat to southampton, with Ian Ure and Tommy Oniell failing to defend corners, jim macalliog having a nightmare in midfield and ted macdougall isolated up front.

Poor old Hark had to get on 3 buses to get home, and he missed the generation game on telly

give the old goat some slack, if he saw OT as it is now and actually saw some of the players in real life, he would have a more positive outlook
Wee Man in the area ?

Unread 21-12-2009, 04:47 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13
Wee Man in the area ?
no, this bloke loved all christians

Unread 21-12-2009, 04:57 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote: