United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Mr_Ed

Default Re: Brian Clough interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgarianSpectator
Hated Leeds?... but not to being with. In fact, he £#%&!ing loved them. He was sooo jealous of Revie and his team at Derby.

Then he was ignored by Revie, started a public slanging match with them, and then somehow ended up managing them for a few weeks.

Then he hated them.
You reckon... So his outburst in their first meeting was a team he loved? If I was offered a top job I'd take it and I think he was the same.

Just goes to show how much Peter Taylor had in their relationship though... something that I never knew till I read his autobiog.

Unread 28-03-2010, 10:56 PM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Indeed... shame how be boasted in his Autobiog that Fergie had only won it once (at the time)...
i remember in his later years he used to harp on about the european cup, once fergie had won a few titles

i think one quote was "he'll never have two of what i've got, and i don't mean %@#$&!s"

Unread 28-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Zorg

Never seemed to like Fergie much did he? Mind you he was never a fan of foreigners.

Unread 28-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Arnold Muhren

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFF
Got there in the end then, Read somewere that the dippers were the only club in the country not to have a minute's silence for him?
The chicken grievers were upset over something he said about Hillsborough apparently.

Unread 28-03-2010, 11:11 PM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
The chicken grievers were upset over something he said about Hillsborough apparently.
think he laid the blame at the scousers' door, saying they were all pissed and brought it on themselves. he did apologise a few years down the line, but as we know resentment is set in stone over there.

Unread 28-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Never seemed to like Fergie much did he? Mind you he was never a fan of foreigners.
Remember when Fergie wanted to sign Keane and he'd never answer the phone as I recall.. or read somewhere.

Unread 28-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Remember when Fergie wanted to sign Keane and he'd never answer the phone as I recall.. or read somewhere.
Ha, yes I remember that.

Much as I loved Cloughie - those kind of maverick mentalist geniuses are always appealing - the fact that he took Forest down is always glossed over a bit.

Unread 28-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Ha, yes I remember that.

Much as I loved Cloughie - those kind of maverick mentalist geniuses are always appealing - the fact that he took Forest down is always glossed over a bit.
TBF I had some menkul image of Fergie doing that in 2005-2006... Luckily the old bugger turned it round again.

I think it's widely acknowledged the only line up Cloughie knew about during his last season was probably the bottles in the cabinet (allegedly!)...

Unread 28-03-2010, 11:30 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
the fact that he took Forest down is always glossed over a bit
Hmm, dunno about that - more that it is "explained" by his being a hopeless alcoholic by then - but yes, it was sad

If even *his* career ended in failure, it just shows still more SAF's greatness in staying at the top to the end

Unread 29-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Grimson

The having a go at Motty was pretty meaningless, and he contradicted himself a couple of times ("There's too much football on TV" "You should show more football").

What was remarkable to me was how frankly he criticised one of his own players, Trevor Francis. Talked about needing to curtail his off-pitch activities, basically said he has achieved nothing in his career and was in danger of pissing it all away.

Unread 29-03-2010, 04:17 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgarianSpectator
He was sooo jealous
Closed Thread