United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 06-11-2021, 05:50 AM
Patty_b

Default Manchester United vs Man City: Official Matchday Thread - 06/11/21 @ 12.30pm

A playlist of 14 classic derby games (home and away). Thanks to no fun for providing suggestions for some of the more historic fixtures.

1: Starting the playlist from the most recent derby to remember, defeating City 2-0 in front of the last full Old Trafford crowd for a long while as the whole world went into lockdown shortly after.
2: Needing a win to secure the title at the Etihad, City went into half time leading 2-0 and practically celebrating the title. Lol.
3: Under the stewardship of Louis Van Gaal, we hosted a strong City team at Old Trafford in April 2015. Despite conceding an early goal, we went out and thoroughly battered them.
4: Thank goodness he chose Red over Blue.
5: It defies description.
6: The highs we have experienced wouldn’t be the same without the lows. And this one is one of the lowest lows ever.
7: Bunk can skip this one. Everyone else bask in the glory of broken blue hearts.
8: While in the process of overturning Newcastles lead at the top of the League, we met City at Main Road. After City equalised to make it 2-2, defender Kit Symons claims: “When we equalised for the second time, you could see the fear in United’s eyes”. Sure you could Kit, but you probably should’ve been keeping your eyes on Giggs instead mate.
9: 2-0 down to City at Maine Road. Enter two of the greatest players we have ever had.
10: We got @#%&!ted by a newly promoted City side 5-1 at Maine Road. Shite.
11: no fun - They had just got promoted back to division 1 and were overconfident...we leathered them 3 nil at Maine rd
12: Law, backheel, relegation etc etc
13: no fun - Another game in the 70s at Maine rd....can’t recall the score but George best broke glyn pardoes leg....if we lost the game a clip of the leg break will do - We did lose, but full highlights anyway. Best’s challenge is 25 seconds in, 50-50 at worst.
14: More of a bonus clip as I couldn’t find the full highlights. Roy Keane taking some revenge.

[SIZE="4"]Team News:
Man United:
Varane out, Pogba will serve the second of his three match ban. Lindelof a possibility to be fit and has been named in Swedens squad for the upcoming internationals.

Man City:
Torres sidelined, Kyle Walker may possibly miss out after picking up a knock midweek and Laporte suspended after being sent off last week.

[SIZE="4"]Previous Meeting:
The two Manchester sides last met at what was an empty Old Trafford on the 12th December 2020. Nothing really happened. Mahrez probably should have put City in front in the first half, and we had a penalty overturned in the second half after Rashford has strayed a fraction offside in the buildup. That's about it.

[SIZE="4"]Match Tit Bits
We’re unbeaten in our last four league games against Manchester City, winning three and drawing our last meeting at Old Trafford last season. That’s as many wins as in our previous 16 games against them. It’s also our longest unbeaten run against City since a run of six games unbeaten between 2008 and 2011.

As well as winning three of the last four against City in the League, we’ve also kept three consecutive clean sheets in the league against them. That’s as many clean sheets as we managed in our previous 18 games against the same opposition.

Despite the impressive clean sheet run we are on against City, we have also conceded at least once in each of our last 13 home games in all competitions. Only twice in our history have we gone longer without a clean sheet at home. (21 games between April 1958 - March 1959, and 14 games between September 1954 - February 1955).

Man City have won seven league away games against Man United in the Premier League era, the joint most of any team. The other team that have managed to secure 7 Premier League wins at Old Trafford against us is Liverpool.

We’ve lost seven home matches in all competitions during 2021 so far, the most since 2001 when we also lost 7 games in total. We haven’t lost eight in a single year since 1989.

[SIZE="4"]Match Prediction:
I think if we go into the game trying to get another clean sheet against them, we’re going to lose 1-4. If we just throw caution to the wind and try to outscore them I think we’ll win 3-1.

Unread 06-11-2021, 06:23 AM
My Name is Heath

Didn't realise Varane was out

Pray Lindelof is fit then - Bailly Maguire is a high risk pairing.

No way is he bringing in de Beek or Sancho so expect the usual team.

Cavani out too isn't he? Rashford it's then.

Will we go for a back 3 if no Varane and Lindelof?

Big,big game

Unread 06-11-2021, 07:17 AM
waynes ear's

If Sterling plays, throw the mortgage at United winning

Unread 06-11-2021, 09:14 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
If Sterling plays, throw the mortgage at United winning
I don’t think he will.

Likely Grealish, Foden, Jesus/Mahrez.

I don’t think we’ll get thumped, but without Varane, I can’t see us keeping them out.

1-2.

Unread 06-11-2021, 10:32 AM
jem

I actually like wan b on grealish. how's city's defence looking?

wall of boos like the 85 final for every tactical foul.

feeling good. should last til 11:30ish and fred.

Unread 06-11-2021, 10:34 AM
est.1878

4.50am, patty is hyped

Unread 06-11-2021, 10:44 AM
Jack Duckworth

i'm going to be honest here, jeff, i think it will be a tough game for united.

Unread 06-11-2021, 10:45 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

0-2

Unread 06-11-2021, 10:46 AM
Mr_Ed

City by 3 goals and a defensive shit show.

Unread 06-11-2021, 10:49 AM
75Red

Given recent results in the PL derbies,I think we're due to get battered by them. In addition we're crap. Berts at work have been more obnoxious than ever this week, as if the Palace game hadn't happened.
A very heavy loss would not surprise me. Yet another poor performance will infuriate me.

I'm not going, excuse being a family thing I'm going to this afternoon.

0-5

Unread 06-11-2021, 10:55 AM
NedKelly

Starting to think Patty is a party animal with the times he clocks in at with these threads. Been out on the piss all night and still makes sure he makes us the thread before he passes out. Top red.

I think we might lose.

Unread 06-11-2021, 11:00 AM
no fun

I do hope ole pays as much detail to his tactics board as patty has done to this thread

Unread 06-11-2021, 11:02 AM
believe

Thumbs up

Ronaldo/Rashy mater class. 3-2 in a tense but open affair.

Unread 06-11-2021, 11:21 AM
Drexl

Been busy all morning and had momentarily forgot this was on.

Looking forward to now*

*I never learn

Unread 06-11-2021, 11:25 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Starting to think Patty is a party animal with the times he clocks in at with these threads. Been out on the piss all night and still makes sure he makes us the thread before he passes out. Top red.

I think we might lose.
Don't think he sleeps for three days before a big one... No strong coffee or similar, just pure hype. Definiteky three or four drafts of this one. Foty pedigree

Unread 06-11-2021, 11:33 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Don't think he sleeps for three days before a big one... No strong coffee or similar, just pure hype. Definiteky three or four drafts of this one. Foty pedigree
I’d be down for midweek trailers too

“Patty’s Previews”

Unread 06-11-2021, 11:47 AM
marlo

forget all the trivial flaws in oles management..

United are 3.5 years into his project, 400m spent and no real injuries yet we are 7/2 to win at home against city.

that is ridiculous.

Gypsum Fantastic

United to score first!

Then lose 1-3

Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Ronaldo/Rashy mater class. 3-2 in a tense but open affair.
I wonder if lindelof will play. Either way he should use the same approach as he played vs Spurs and like you said stick rashford in for cavani.

The other option is is 4231. The big flaw with us is that we just half press high up the pitch. Don’t think the tactic would matter too much wrt the gaps if they just play compact . Even a team of

AWB Bailey maguire shaw
The Scottish Player. Fred
Sancho. Bruno. Rashford
Ronaldo

Would work , just don’t press high and stay compact .

Unread 06-11-2021, 11:54 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
forget all the trivial flaws in oles management..

United are 3.5 years into his project, 400m spent and no real injuries yet we are 7/2 to win at home against city.

that is ridiculous.
3-5 years. Really £#%&!ing odd as he didn’t become caretaker till mid December 2018 and full time in March 2019. So at least get the sums right to fit your agenda ffs.

3-1. Scott Harry Ronnie