United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-11-2008, 03:42 AM
History

Default Does anyone truly understand how good Rafael is or will be?

I think we all know that a defenders Prime is about 27/33 ?

So for Rafael who is 18 fighting (maybe winning) for a starting position in Defence for the League and European champions is truly amazing when he has another 10 years until his prime.

He must be something special he has to be. No way would Fergie trust an 18 year old in Defence at Celtic Park in the champions league or throw him on the last 20 to try and change something when we are losing at Arsenal.

I'm just so excited and at the same time feeling sorry for Neville sat there thinking his time is up which is a part of life, but as 1 great right back starts to disappear another one makes himself known.

I for one will not be worried if he starts at City, but will be given more confidence.

Rafael Da Silva

Unread 30-11-2008, 03:46 AM
toseeunited

as said on another thread, i think he might get the nod tomorrow cos of his pace to look after robinho

Unread 30-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Spiffy

Remember how good Phil Neville was at the same age? You can't tell anything about him yet. Let's see how he fares when the Premier League are familiar with him. I hope he does really well but it's way too early to tell.

Unread 30-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Jez Quigley

Football apropos of nothing

remember John Curtis being skinned alive (literally) by Marc Overmars until Phil Neville saved the day

Unread 30-11-2008, 09:41 AM
waynes ear's

we need a Michaelangelo, Donatello and a Leonardo to compliment Rafael at the back

only then will we see the true awesomeness

Unread 30-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
we need a michaelangelo, donatello and a leonardo to compliment rafael at the back

only then will we see the true awesomeness

[size="6"]cowabunga

Unread 30-11-2008, 10:21 AM
CockOfTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by History

So for Rafael who is 18 fighting (maybe winning) for a starting position in Defence for the League and European champions is truly amazing when he has another 10 years until his prime.

He must be something special he has to be. No way would Fergie trust an 18 year old in Defence at Celtic Park in the champions league or throw him on the last 20 to try and change something when we are losing at Arsenal.

I'm just so excited and at the same time feeling sorry for Neville sat there thinking his time is up which is a part of life, but as 1 great right back starts to disappear another one makes himself known.

I for one will not be worried if he starts at City, but will be given more confidence.

Rafael Da Silva
Haven't been this excited by a defender in my entire life, I hope he plays today

Unread 30-11-2008, 11:56 AM
IsaacHunt

Quote:
Horseshit. Full blown steaming horseshit with flies on. I'll elaborate a little for the hard of thinking:

Q: How many top full backs in the premier league today are over 30?
A: Almost none. Few are past 28. Those that are play for the likes of Bolton, Middlesboghorroh, Newcastle....

Q: Of these, how many have playing for the best part of a decade already?
A: That would be pretty much all of them. I mention the devil incarnate himself, Ashley Cole as prime example.

Q: How much grief does the 33 year old Neville get (who is according to you still in his prime)?Loads.

Full backs come into the first team earlier than any other position. The United 'full-back factory' of the last 15 years has produced over a dozen players... I'll let you name them.

The only thing that a full back will acquire beyond the age of 22/23 is injuries.

I rest my case.

Unread 30-11-2008, 11:58 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockOfTheNorth
Haven't been this excited by a defender in my entire life, I hope he plays today
The only defender I am more excited is Fabio Did you see that goal for the reserves earlier in the seaon

PS: Mr OfTheNorth...I hope I can count on your vote in this weeks MF QF's

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101412

Unread 30-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Tumescent Throb

Rafael's positioning is shocking, he hasn't got a clue

I read it on here

Unread 30-11-2008, 12:29 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Rafael's positioning is shocking, he hasn't got a clue

I read it on here
so did him and fergie, they went apeshit but then saw the real girls thread

Unread 30-11-2008, 01:27 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacHunt
Horseshit. Full blown steaming horseshit with flies on. I'll elaborate a little for the hard of thinking:

A: Almost none. Few are past 28. Those that are play for the likes of Bolton, Middlesboghorroh, Newcastle....

A: That would be pretty much all of them. I mention the devil incarnate himself, Ashley Cole as prime example.

Q: How much grief does the 33 year old Neville get (who is according to you still in his prime)?Loads.

Full backs come into the first team earlier than any other position. The United 'full-back factory' of the last 15 years has produced over a dozen players... I'll let you name them.

The only thing that a full back will acquire beyond the age of 22/23 is injuries.

I rest my case.
i would, because you're digging yourself deeper and deeper. what's with the aggression anyway? 'hard of thinking' ffs.

27/33 is about right for centre backs, not for full backs, but there are few full backs who are no 1 choices for the very best sides at rafael's age. who are the best full backs in the premiership? evra, without a doubt, cole, possibly bridge, bosingwa. outside of the premiership there's dani alves (let's call him a full back for argument's sake), abidal, lahm and sergio ramos. only one of these is under 25 (ramos). plenty of full backs play on into their 30 very effectively - cafu, zanetti, lizarazu, roberto carlos, neville and maldini, for example.

to say that full backs have learnt everything they have to learn by 22/23 is simply nonsense. shouting it aggressively doesn't change that.

Unread 30-11-2008, 01:30 PM
ScarFace

Think he'd be better as a winger, why on earth did he choose to be right back?

Unread 30-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i would, because you're digging yourself deeper and deeper. what's with the aggression anyway? 'hard of thinking' ffs.

to say that full backs have learnt everything they have to learn by 22/23 is simply nonsense. shouting it aggressively doesn't change that.
Borsuk - excellent work

Unread 30-11-2008, 01:44 PM
DinGbAt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacHunt

I rest my case.
I think that's the worst post i've ever read on here.

Terrible, terrible post.

Unread 30-11-2008, 01:45 PM
History

Just Come back to this thread to say he's starting and have just read that

Not even gonna reply to it.

Unread 30-11-2008, 02:52 PM
wonky no

i need no telling of how good he is or his brother. as for being a winger, i'm not sure. he seems to enjoy running from deep with momentum rather than receiving the ball standing half way down.

Unread 30-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
i need no telling of how good he is or his brother. as for being a winger, i'm not sure. he seems to enjoy running from deep with momentum rather than receiving the ball standing half way down.
I think it's too early to say how well he'd do as a winger. Until we've seen how he can stand with his hands on his hips none of us can know for sure.

Unread 30-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Tiberian

He has shown in his appearances a tendency towards a rash tackle. It will be a test for him up against a tricky player like Robinho and on a yellow card to control himself. Would not be surprised if he comes off if we get a second, despite the excellence of his performance.

Unread 30-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by History

Rafael Da Silva

Can't wait for O'Shea to reach his peak
Closed Thread