United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 22-01-2023, 09:26 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Thought he did fine today.

Do think the fact he hasn’t got that burst of pace was evident at times today. It’s not a requirement to be a good player in that position, but I’d say that if you haven’t got it, you need to make up for it in other areas like your decision making, final ball, weight of pass etc. Got a bit of work to do there.
Needs to get a bit more strength/power to his play to make up for the pace. He's quick, but he seems conscious that he's not leave opponent for dead quick and overdoes it trying to go quicker, usually leading to miscontrol or something. He's smart, he'll come to terms with it and find ways to assert himself.

Unread 22-01-2023, 09:29 PM
Lok

The best that can be said for him is that he puts a shift in.

He needs to improve in almost every metric and by some distance. It's still early but I think it's fair to expect more than this from an £80m player.

Unread 22-01-2023, 09:31 PM
Coracao

He doesn't make things happen enough for me. Needs to massively improve on a lot of aspects of his game to be a long-term fixture of this side.

The defensive side of his game is decent and he is good with the ball at his feet when pressured, but that is nowhere near enough. Hopefully he improves. Could easily see him being displaced by Amad if he continues on his current trajectory.

Unread 22-01-2023, 09:34 PM
Bunker Buster

Get rid.

Enough is enough

Unread 22-01-2023, 09:59 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Not great again.

But Erik had him for two years at Ajax so there’s clearly a reason he keeps picking him. Given he’s nailed almost every decision so far, I’m willing to trust Ten Hag on this one.

Unread 22-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Vedder

He casually megged about 3 players today, that was quite amusing

Unread 22-01-2023, 10:22 PM
ZiggyStardust

He’s not terrible or anything
Nice on the ball and helps our ball retention but he hasn’t created one big chance in the league since he joined
Not good enough

Of course we’ll give him time but there’s a limit on that
Sancho is back soon (hopefully in a lot better shape physically and mentally) and Amad will be back next season ready to make an impact

We need what Saka gives Arsenal down that side if we’re to compete for league titles

Unread 22-01-2023, 10:28 PM
My Name is Heath

He’s ok.

There. I’ve said it.

He’s got a long way to go and has potential but we have had loads of potential over the recent years that let us down.

Antony and Sancho

Unread 22-01-2023, 10:29 PM
Weekend Hussler

Thought he was good today.

Work rate is outstanding and relieves pressure.

Has a job to do in ETH's plans, and does it well.

Past two games, we've looked worse when he's gone off.

Unread 22-01-2023, 10:50 PM
pedr0

His defensive work is underrated. Does a better job helping out the RB than when Bruno moves out there.

Obviously he needs to improve his output, but he's not a passenger at least.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:01 AM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
If you’re denying that you actively seem to hope that some of our players don’t perform so that you can post that they’re “shit” then that makes you a liar, son. Jadon, Donny, Antony… you take joy in them not delivering and it’s quite sad to see, tbh. Some red you are

He had a very good first half, held the ball well under pressure, drove at them and showed off his pace a couple of times. Didn’t do great in the second half and got hooked. He was by no means “gash”, as you put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
His defensive work is underrated. Does a better job helping out the RB than when Bruno moves out there.

Obviously he needs to improve his output, but he's not a passenger at least.
Tbf everyone can see that. Well apart from the developmentally stunted gnome who wants new signings to fail.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:07 AM
Stickman

When I read what he’s been doing well it’s as if we’re talking about James Milner ffs

I’m sure he will get better but he’s a little concerning as an attacking threat.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:28 AM
History

I can only assume he's in for his work rate currently, I would think he probably fits a team more that keeps the ball a lot better. He's more of a wide midfielder than say a winger, which with the right midfield and full back behind him, will work well.

Can knock his work rate and he keeps starting. He's obviously carrying out some form of instruction that Ten Hag likes. He's crossing has been absolutely shite so far and he slows down counter attacks, but I think that will come. Needs to be given more time, it's hard for a wide player to come into a new league and set it a light straight away.

Quite exposed on the wing, not like a midfielder when through balls are cut out or misplace pass is forgotten about in 3 seconds. An over hit cross for some reason seems to really linger with a massive groan. Doesn't matter whos done it, so to me feels very more noticeable when a winger is off it

Unread 23-01-2023, 01:08 AM
marlo

he isn’t very good let’s not lie

when the ball he given to him he seems to run forwards but as far away from the goal as possible while doing so.

He plays football like he doesn’t want to score or assist!

Unread 23-01-2023, 01:26 AM
armchair

One thing I love about him is he always wants the ball. It is endearing seeing him constantly shocked and disappointed that he isn't getting it every time.

He's like "wtf guys?! I'm free! Did you not see me?"

Unread 23-01-2023, 03:31 AM
shenwen

No problem with him last night but he needs to start being more effective. Nutmegging two players is fine but following it up with a pas back to AWB isn't the best.

Unread 23-01-2023, 09:35 AM
Dasilvatwins

He needs to be taken out the spotlight for a few games. Just give him some time to focus on training, build his confidence.

Lack of depth is our biggest downfall. Sancho needs to come back.

ETH knows him. My only concern is his poor crossing

Unread 23-01-2023, 10:15 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
‘He just doesn’t beat anyone and I’m sitting there thinking, “Was that always the way?”' Ferdinand said.

‘I’ve seen clips of him when he was at Ajax and he was somebody who used to beat people.

‘I saw Thomas Partey, who I wouldn’t put down as a sprinter, absolutely burst past him, and I’m thinking, “Woah, he (Antony) hasn’t got much power in them legs!”

‘He’s a tricky winger, but with tricky wingers you want them to still be able to beat the defender.'
Interesting from a world class defender and club legend...

But I'm talking shit apparently...?

Unread 23-01-2023, 10:22 AM
believe

Remember the good old days when we bought players who already had confidence because they were professional footballers.

Unread 23-01-2023, 10:28 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Interesting from a world class defender and club legend...

But I'm talking shit apparently...?
Fastest player ever recorded at ajax.