United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-07-2009, 09:54 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
And 'without opening old wounds' I thought that was the purpose of FC United?
What?

Quote:
But you people who hate what Glazer has done and don't have anything to do with MUFC anymore still popping at most of MUFCs support all the time.
'You people'

Quote:
Probably the same people who boycotted but when MUFC got back on top with big games suddenly 'freebies' for MUFC games started coming up for them.
Oh yes, them lot.

Quote:
Yes the ground is full of £#%&!wits but it's not just them who only care about the team side of things.

Unread 14-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Withers

Quote:
Where did I say that is all I care about? I said 95% of the fans only care about the team etc, nothing wrong with that imo. I'm sure there is plenty of older reds from the days of not winning much 'red army veterans' etc who still love the team and only really care about whats happening on the pitch. It's like as if it's just 'JCLs' who only care about the team, loads only care about the team, only a few thing they're financial experts all the sudden and go on and on about the finances of the club, we were a global brand and bought, that's life.

And 'without opening old wounds' I thought that was the purpose of FC United? For the fans not happy with the Glazers to have nothing to do with it and to create their own club? But you people who hate what Glazer has done and don't have anything to do with MUFC anymore still popping at most of MUFCs support all the time. Probably the same people who boycotted but when MUFC got back on top with big games suddenly 'freebies' for MUFC games started coming up for them.

Yes the ground is full of £#%&!wits but it's not just them who only care about the team side of things.
1 Where did I say that you said that's all you care about? If it is all you care about I said

2 If you don't see what is happening off the pitch affects what is happening on the pitch then you are stupid. The Glazers have taken approximately £250 million out of the club in the last four years. Don't think we could have benefitted "on the pitch" if we could have spent that money for our benefit rather than theirs? Just because we have done well without it doesn't change the facts that we may have done better with it.

3 £#%&! knows what FC have got to do with this, although it probably explains a lot that you felt the need to mention them.

4 Your right, the ground is full of £#%&!wits. Plenty before Glazer and plenty now.

Unread 14-07-2009, 10:17 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by berba
Although if he had one more yard of pace in him, I would say he would be destined for greatness. He looks like a gerrard without pace now in reserves but with more discipline.
Gerrard's pace came with his strength, as he got more powerful, he got quicker. He's not naturally fast in the way Henry or someone is.

Hopefully Matt James will develop in a similar manner.

Unread 14-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Juice Terry

This from the Guardian - stolen from a link on another thread.

Later Ferguson acknowledged that, if there was a change in the market, specifically Gremio drastically reducing their valuation of Costa, United would be willing to go back into the transfer market. "We have two months before the deadline so it could change. Anything is possible. You never know."

Fergie might be sending a message to other clubs that we won't be held to ransom because the divs and real are splashing the cash.

I reckon one more signing is nailed on before deadline day.

Unread 14-07-2009, 11:12 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Terry
This from the Guardian - stolen from a link on another thread.

Later Ferguson acknowledged that, if there was a change in the market, specifically Gremio drastically reducing their valuation of Costa, United would be willing to go back into the transfer market. "We have two months before the deadline so it could change. Anything is possible. You never know."

Fergie might be sending a message to other clubs that we won't be held to ransom because the divs and real are splashing the cash.

I reckon one more signing is nailed on before deadline day.
You can point it out as often as you like, it makes no odds to most.

And I reckon it will be 2.

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Weekend Hussler

Quote:
Of course it's a worry, but people still love MUFC and will continue to go and watch them.

If United do a Leeds United will still have a big support and we'll be fine, even if we're in League 2. What do you suggest we do? They own our club now, and on the pitch we're as good as we've ever been.
Take your head out of the sand.

If United went down to league two they would not get a crowd of over 35,000 at todays ticket prices.

Add to that the loss of TV revenue and things wouldn't be fine.

You just keep clapping along to the high speed calpyso and ignore what's happening.

The lack of reinvestment of the Ronaldo transfer fee is the first sign of Asset Stripping from the Glazers. My money is on it wont be the last!

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:19 PM
berba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Gerrard's pace came with his strength, as he got more powerful, he got quicker. He's not naturally fast in the way Henry or someone is.

Hopefully Matt James will develop in a similar manner.
come on. Gerrard was one of the paciest midfielders even when he first broke into the liverpool's midfield.

James is much slower than that if you observed in the matches.

Although his discipline in the centre midfield is a real plus. And he can turn faster than a road roller unlike gibson which will be handy.

I hope gibson is released before the start of the season.

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:27 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by berba
come on. Gerrard was one of the paciest midfielders even when he first broke into the liverpool's midfield.

James is much slower than that if you observed in the matches.

Although his discipline in the centre midfield is a real plus. And he can turn faster than a road roller unlike gibson which will be handy.

I hope gibson is released before the start of the season.
I don't think I ever compared James' pace to Gerrard's Gerrard has got quicker as he has got stronger, there is no denying that, I am just hoping James does the same.

As for Gibson, he doesn't want to leave going off the things I have read, maybe Fergie will give him one more year.

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:33 PM
berba

Quote:
I don't think I ever compared James' pace to Gerrard's Gerrard has got quicker as he has got stronger, there is no denying that, I am just hoping James does the same.

As for Gibson, he doesn't want to leave going off the things I have read, maybe Fergie will give him one more year.
I interpreted your previous post as saying gerrard was slower when he was just breaking through into liverpool's team.

anyways, as you said, I am also hoping james quickens up with time. he has all other abilities needed to become a great midfielder. shooting, tackling, strength, stamina, eye for a pass.

There is a video of macheda's hattrick again newcastle ( I think ) in the reserves. See the link up play between macheda and james. mouth watering.

I don't have any hope with gibson. he is just a poorer version of huddlestone.

Unread 14-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Matt James is a cert for the 1st team imo, it's just a case of when, he's a big lad too, so it may be sooner rather than later (I hope).

I've always been very impressed with Cleverley and Drinkwater as well, both can play through the middle or wide. They get a bad press on here for being young lads, but both are very good prospects.
scouted by me

Unread 14-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
The Glazers have taken approximately £250 million out of the club in the last four years. Don't think we could have benefitted "on the pitch" if we could have spent that money for our benefit rather than theirs? Just because we have done well without it doesn't change the facts that we may have done better with it.
couldn't be arsed coming in on the "we're going to do a leeds" line - do people still say that?

but this £250m interests me. let's imagine for a minute that this figure is accurate. and let's imagine that it would've been the same figure if we'd been a plc over the last 4 seasons. where would that money be now? it's not a trick question.

Unread 15-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
but the fact that you have sell Berbatov as your signature means you are a £#%&!wit
Says the man who has been laughed off messageboards for years for his bullshitting and crap ITK tales

Quote:
I completely agree, I was playing devil's advocate. He basically said since the Glazers have taken over we have done shit, results suggest otherwise, you can't make things up, it's there in evidence.
No I didn't. I said nothing of the sort.

I said people are being told to stop complaining that United have spent next to £#%&!all of the ronaldo money on replacments of any proven quality.

Absolutely £#%&!all to do with the irrelevant drivel you have spouted in return.

Unread 15-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Hussler
Take your head out of the sand.

If United went down to league two they would not get a crowd of over 35,000 at todays ticket prices.

Add to that the loss of TV revenue and things wouldn't be fine.

You just keep clapping along to the high speed calpyso and ignore what's happening.

The lack of reinvestment of the Ronaldo transfer fee is the first sign of Asset Stripping from the Glazers. My money is on it wont be the last!
Not winning the league and being relegated are worlds apart. We will never be relegated.

As to the Glazers, well I dont care much for them either and the debt levels do worry me, but the fact is that we are not Leeds and never will be. We are a far more marketable asset and if the worst happens, god fobid, the bankers or whoever is owed the debt will see clearly that selling us as a sucessful club is far more likely to get their money back than asset stripping. There is no reason why they couldn't refloat the club on the stock market. Today that would probably be bad idea, but if a few years time when the economy recovers it might be a good option.

As for the Glazers long term strategy, we can only guess. I think initially they saw us as an english speaking Real Madrid, with a huge market to tap* into and more importantly with the ability to negotiate our own TV rights.** (I think that Real earn a fortune from the TV rights). They were proably thinking that they could refinance the debt and then turn a decent profit from ownership coupled with their 'marketing savvy'. They probably underestimated how much marketing savvy we already had.

Unfortunatly the TV rights thing is dead, so they've had to look at other sources of revenue. That coupled with a recession and a banking crisis means that refinancing is now not possible, so they're looking to hang on for better times, and I would not be surprised if some of the Ronaldo money is diverted to service some of the debt. I don't like it, but I understand why they may be forced to do it.

They may have a plan B, which is to sell United to some rich person or consortium, obviously to do that we have to be an attractive proposition so asset stripping is probably the last thing they'll do.

*Real recouped the spend on Beckham, Figo an Zidane from merchandising these 'stars'. They have probably planned the recoup of the Ronaldo, Kaka and Benzema fees the same way... I wish we could do that.

**Real negotiate their own TV rights and not as part of a package as we do with the PL. Real make much more money that way

Unread 15-07-2009, 07:47 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan

I said people are being told to stop complaining that United have spent next to £#%&!all of the ronaldo money on replacments of any proven quality.
You didn't you said about what the Glazers have done tok the club since they have been here. Also it is the 15th of July. You're talking like the deadline has gone. Do you honestly believe what Fergie said about transfers? You're naive if you think he was telling the truth.

Unread 15-07-2009, 08:08 AM
berba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
and what the £#%&! that has to do with glazers and debt you tit.

Its managers decision. And as seen in his interviews, he is happy enough with the squad and emerging players.

Unless you choose to believe your imagination and media reports than what the manager is actually saying.

Unread 15-07-2009, 08:15 AM
withapacketofsweets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
Not winning the league and being relegated are worlds apart. We will never be relegated.

As to the Glazers, well I dont care much for them either and the debt levels do worry me, but the fact is that we are not Leeds and never will be. We are a far more marketable asset and if the worst happens, god fobid, the bankers or whoever is owed the debt will see clearly that selling us as a sucessful club is far more likely to get their money back than asset stripping. There is no reason why they couldn't refloat the club on the stock market. Today that would probably be bad idea, but if a few years time when the economy recovers it might be a good option.

As for the Glazers long term strategy, we can only guess. I think initially they saw us as an english speaking Real Madrid, with a huge market to tap* into and more importantly with the ability to negotiate our own TV rights.** (I think that Real earn a fortune from the TV rights). They were proably thinking that they could refinance the debt and then turn a decent profit from ownership coupled with their 'marketing savvy'. They probably underestimated how much marketing savvy we already had.

Unfortunatly the TV rights thing is dead, so they've had to look at other sources of revenue. That coupled with a recession and a banking crisis means that refinancing is now not possible, so they're looking to hang on for better times, and I would not be surprised if some of the Ronaldo money is diverted to service some of the debt. I don't like it, but I understand why they may be forced to do it.

They may have a plan B, which is to sell United to some rich person or consortium, obviously to do that we have to be an attractive proposition so asset stripping is probably the last thing they'll do.

*Real recouped the spend on Beckham, Figo an Zidane from merchandising these 'stars'. They have probably planned the recoup of the Ronaldo, Kaka and Benzema fees the same way... I wish we could do that.

**Real negotiate their own TV rights and not as part of a package as we do with the PL. Real make much more money that way
Dont worry, we are getting our own curry house in Mumbai

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8150636.stm

Unread 22-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Sloppy

Sir Alex Ferguson not interested in signing 'mercenaries'

Manchester United may be awash with funds from the £80million sale of Cristiano Ronaldo, but they will not be tempted into buying “mercenary” players to replace him, a representative for the Glazer family, the club’s American owners, has warned.
As Manchester City, United’s neighbours, and Real Madrid, who signed Ronaldo, have spent outrageously in the summer transfer market, United’s most expensive outlay has been on Antonio Valencia, the Ecuador winger, who cost £18million from Wigan Athletic.
Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, has maintained that his close-season recruiting is over and Tehsin Nayani, a Glazer representative on the club’s tour to the Far East, has stressed that such a relatively frugal approach will remain at Old Trafford.
Nayani said: “The delay [in signings] is because the manager has not been able to locate the players that believes fit the Manchester United mindset; ones that are motivated to play for United. You don’t want mercenaries - to pay over the odds for players not willing to give their all for the club.”

United’s finances are healthy despite the credit crunch, Nayani revealed, and Ferguson could spend extravagantly on the right player. “Our operating profits are climbing and we continue to secure significant sponsorship deals,” Nayani said. “On a normal business level, United is in a very strong position and, so far, unaffected by the downturn.
“It would be foolish to say there would be no impact, period, because you never know what’s going to happen down the line. But our season-ticket sales stand up to comparisons in previous years. I’ve been saying that one should expect an impact on our corporate sales, but every club is faced with that. Having said that, the manager has a significant amount of money to invest if he wants to.
“We do have a debt to service and carry a significant amount of debt but our interest payments are around £43.3million a year, while our operating profit was £80million, topped by an extra £25million from transfer profits. So we are talking about a net amount of about £60million.
“That's cash that can be reinvested in the squad, doing up the toilets or new carpets. The point is, there is money coming into United. One thing that is certain, because of globalisation and the growing middle classes in India and the Far East, is that the appeal of football is set to grow. We are part of that story.”
After defeating a Malaysian XI 3-2 and 2-0 in Kuala Lumpur, United have moved on to South Korea for the third leg of their four-match tour. They play Seoul here on Friday night, with Dimitar Berbatov aware that he has to improve on his return of 14 goals from 42 appearances last season with Ronaldo gone.
“I think I can do more,” the Bulgaria striker said. “It's always beneficial to have a good pre-season. I'm here to score goals.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6723678.ece

Unread 23-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Withers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Sir Alex Ferguson not interested in signing 'mercenaries'

Manchester United may be awash with funds from the £80million sale of Cristiano Ronaldo, but they will not be tempted into buying “mercenary” players to replace him, a representative for the Glazer family, the club’s American owners, has warned.
As Manchester City, United’s neighbours, and Real Madrid, who signed Ronaldo, have spent outrageously in the summer transfer market, United’s most expensive outlay has been on Antonio Valencia, the Ecuador winger, who cost £18million from Wigan Athletic.
Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, has maintained that his close-season recruiting is over and Tehsin Nayani, a Glazer representative on the club’s tour to the Far East, has stressed that such a relatively frugal approach will remain at Old Trafford.
Nayani said: “The delay [in signings] is because the manager has not been able to locate the players that believes fit the Manchester United mindset; ones that are motivated to play for United. You don’t want mercenaries - to pay over the odds for players not willing to give their all for the club.”

United’s finances are healthy despite the credit crunch, Nayani revealed, and Ferguson could spend extravagantly on the right player. “Our operating profits are climbing and we continue to secure significant sponsorship deals,” Nayani said. “On a normal business level, United is in a very strong position and, so far, unaffected by the downturn.
“It would be foolish to say there would be no impact, period, because you never know what’s going to happen down the line. But our season-ticket sales stand up to comparisons in previous years. I’ve been saying that one should expect an impact on our corporate sales, but every club is faced with that. Having said that, the manager has a significant amount of money to invest if he wants to.
“We do have a debt to service and carry a significant amount of debt but our interest payments are around £43.3million a year, while our operating profit was £80million, topped by an extra £25million from transfer profits. So we are talking about a net amount of about £60million.
“That's cash that can be reinvested in the squad, doing up the toilets or new carpets. The point is, there is money coming into United. One thing that is certain, because of globalisation and the growing middle classes in India and the Far East, is that the appeal of football is set to grow. We are part of that story.”
After defeating a Malaysian XI 3-2 and 2-0 in Kuala Lumpur, United have moved on to South Korea for the third leg of their four-match tour. They play Seoul here on Friday night, with Dimitar Berbatov aware that he has to improve on his return of 14 goals from 42 appearances last season with Ronaldo gone.
“I think I can do more,” the Bulgaria striker said. “It's always beneficial to have a good pre-season. I'm here to score goals.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6723678.ece

Hmm.

Is this the first spokesman for the Glazers(Nayani) that hasn't been somebody employed by United before the takeover?

Is this the first mention of the negative impact of the debt?

Not sure what to make of this at the moment, really.

Unread 05-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Sloppy

Fergie:United can spend.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists he has not been told he cannot spend heavily in this summer's transfer window.
The Red Devils allowed Cristiano Ronaldo to join Real Madrid for a world-record fee of £80million in July as the Premier League champions finally agreed to sell.
It was thought that the profits generated from that sale would be used to reinvest, but the only significant expenditure has been on Antonio Valencia and Gabriel Obertan.
Rumours have suggested that United's owners, the Glazer family, have prevented Ferguson from investing, but the Scot insists that is not the case.
"Pay no attention to the cynics who have suggested our owners have stopped us spending," he told United Review. "Believe me, it was purely a football decision.
"Maybe it is the Scotsman in me but I believe in value, even when I am spending someone else's money, and the asking price for players we were looking at just wasn't realistic.
"What you must remember is that we are working from a position of strength.
"We don't suddenly have to splash out to try and compete at the top."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...474736,00.html

Unread 05-08-2009, 10:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Fergie:United can spend.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists he has not been told he cannot spend heavily in this summer's transfer window.
The Red Devils allowed Cristiano Ronaldo to join Real Madrid for a world-record fee of £80million in July as the Premier League champions finally agreed to sell.
It was thought that the profits generated from that sale would be used to reinvest, but the only significant expenditure has been on Antonio Valencia and Gabriel Obertan.
Rumours have suggested that United's owners, the Glazer family, have prevented Ferguson from investing, but the Scot insists that is not the case.
"Pay no attention to the cynics who have suggested our owners have stopped us spending," he told United Review. "Believe me, it was purely a football decision.
"Maybe it is the Scotsman in me but I believe in value, even when I am spending someone else's money, and the asking price for players we were looking at just wasn't realistic.
"What you must remember is that we are working from a position of strength.
"We don't suddenly have to splash out to try and compete at the top."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...474736,00.html
Which is a veiled way of saying we won't be spending imo.
Closed Thread