United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-09-2011, 10:40 AM
The Return of JC

Default Re: Who's starting against Chelsea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Exactly, except for the last bit. Wonder how we'll cope if we're dominated in midfield (as per benfica).
I don't expect we will be. We weren't in either game last season at OT against them. Anderson is in great form and Carrick, whatever you think of him generally, played very against them last season. As did Giggs. We have options.

I think there's numerous areas where we know we can hurt them. Tony can get at Cole, Giggs and Carrick bossed them last season, Cheech loves that static defence and I'd fancy Young against RB they decided to put out.

My only concern is the defence. Rio back in, please.

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Yep. stupid comment actually. But we couldn't get the ball to any of the forward players much.
True, our final ball was pretty awful. As I say, getting back to our more settled team should help with this.

Lok

DDG

Jones---Rio---Smalling---Evra

Valencia---Carrick---Anderson---Young

Giggs
Rooney

With the ball Giggs plays up the pitch. Without it he slots into midfield with Carrick dropping deep to protect the back 4.

Unread 16-09-2011, 10:44 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
DDG

Jones---Rio---Smalling---Evra

Valencia---Carrick---Anderson---Young

Giggs
Rooney

With the ball Giggs plays up the pitch. Without it he slots into midfield with Carrick dropping deep to protect the back 4.
Wouldn't be totally unhappy with that either, but I want Cheech's pace in there. Lively as £#%&! against them last year. 3 goals in 2 games against them at home surely seals a place for him, no?

Edit: 2 Goals. Sorry. I was thinking of that header he scored but was offside.

Unread 16-09-2011, 10:45 AM
celtbion

Carrick is useless.

Would prefer Jones alongside Anderson and Smalling at right back.

Unread 16-09-2011, 11:03 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Wouldn't be totally unhappy with that either, but I want Cheech's pace in there. Lively as £#%&! against them last year. 3 goals in 2 games against them at home surely seals a place for him, no?

Edit: 2 Goals. Sorry. I was thinking of that header he scored but was offside.
Definitely, against The Lionheart.

Unread 16-09-2011, 11:44 AM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up Re: Who's starting against Chelsea?

DG

Jones
Rio
Smalling/Evans
Evra

Nani
Anderson
Giggs
Young

Rooney
Pea

Unread 16-09-2011, 11:49 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
DG

Jones
Rio
Smalling/Evans
Evra

Nani
Anderson
Giggs
Young

Rooney
Pea

No comment on having a bad feeling about this one etc, MJ?

Unread 16-09-2011, 11:54 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
No comment on having a bad feeling about this one etc, MJ?
It's too early in the season for any of that...however, I do think Chelsea are a stronger side than many people seem to think.
I also wouldn't put it past that @#%&! Torres to suddenly find his shooting boots on Sunday
So if truth be known, yes I do have a bit of a bad feeling about it.

I'm concerned over Fergie's team selection tbh. I hope he doesn't follow Wednesday night's model & pack the midfield with 'experience'

Unread 16-09-2011, 11:56 AM
silv

Flapjack

BIGGIE
SNOOP
Eminem
HSJ

Young
AnderGod
Carrick
Crybaby

Roonster
Peaster

Unread 16-09-2011, 11:58 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
It's too early in the season for any of that...however, I do think Chelsea are a stronger side than many people seem to think.
I also wouldn't put it past that @#%&! Torres to suddenly find his shooting boots on Sunday

I'm concerned over Fergie's team selection tbh. I hope he doesn't follow Wednesday night's model & pack the midfield with 'experience
'
Can't see why he would.

Unread 16-09-2011, 12:03 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:

I'm concerned over Fergie's team selection tbh. I hope he doesn't follow Wednesday night's model & pack the midfield with 'experience'
Thaaat's the spirit!

Unread 16-09-2011, 12:05 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Can't see why he would.
No. Anderson and Young were surely rested with this in mind. One of Giggs, Carrick and Fletcher to come in for Cleversleyers and either Vallersyers or Naniniers on the right is fine by me.

I don't think there'll be too many surprises.

Unread 16-09-2011, 12:07 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
No. Anderson and Young were surely rested with this in mind. One of Giggs, Carrick and Fletcher to come in for Cleversleyers and either Vallersyers or Naniniers on the right is fine by me.

I don't think there'll be too many surprises.
Be harsh on Nani getting dropped but Fergie does seem to love Tony V. He did destroy Cole last season of course and provides better cover for his fullback.

Unread 16-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Tiberian

Quote:

Because that experience destroyed Chelsea in 3 games over a short time at the pressure end of the season.

I watched the Arsenal game again a few days later after the initial high, and Utd could quite easily have conceded 5/6 goals. Arsenal were naive, overly ambitious and lacked the cynicism required to win those type of games, but the created a lot of chances and early in the second half at 3-1 they had a 10 min spell when the could have pulled it back to 3-3.

Chelsea, if they stay true to type will not be anywhere as easy to break down. They will be dour, hard working and wait for Utd to over commit and hit us on the break. Young players will make those type of mistakes, it is part of the excitement of watching them.

Utd did win the league last year and got to a CL final, some of the sighing over going back to last years team seems ridiculous. A midfield based on Carrick and Giggs was outstanding in the knock out stage of the CL.

Last season was not the most exciting, not helped by injuries and Rooney being abysmal for the first 4 months but it was still a very good side.

Unread 16-09-2011, 12:51 PM
The Return of JC

Thumbs up Re: Who's starting against Chelsea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Because that experience destroyed Chelsea in 3 games over a short time at the pressure end of the season.

I watched the Arsenal game again a few days later after the initial high, and Utd could quite easily have conceded 5/6 goals. Arsenal were naive, overly ambitious and lacked the cynicism required to win those type of games, but the created a lot of chances and early in the second half at 3-1 they had a 10 min spell when the could have pulled it back to 3-3.

Chelsea, if they stay true to type will not be anywhere as easy to break down. They will be dour, hard working and wait for Utd to over commit and hit us on the break. Young players will make those type of mistakes, it is part of the excitement of watching them.

Utd did win the league last year and got to a CL final, some of the sighing over going back to last years team seems ridiculous. A midfield based on Carrick and Giggs was outstanding in the knock out stage of the CL.

Last season was not the most exciting, not helped by injuries and Rooney being abysmal for the first 4 months but it was still a very good side.
The man shits reasoned sense.

Unread 16-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Harri Jaffa

A midfield of Carrick, Giggs and Anderson is surely the way forward?

Unread 16-09-2011, 12:52 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Be harsh on Nani getting dropped but Fergie does seem to love Tony V. He did destroy Cole last season of course and provides better cover for his fullback.
You can 'trust' Tony a little more too, I think (CL Final aside ). I like the idea of Nani off the bench against tired legs too.

Unread 16-09-2011, 12:53 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

Agreed.

We shouldn't have to revert back to sideways passing, negative central midfielders & a lone striker at the first sign of a decent side.

I'll be disappointed if Pea, Rooney, Young & either Nani or Valencia don't start the match.

Unread 16-09-2011, 12:53 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
A midfield of Carrick, Giggs and Anderson is surely the way forward?
So Rooney on his own up top?

As I said earlier, I like the look of that midfield axis, but Hernandez would be the man to miss out and he's been too effective against Chelsea in recent games to be left out, IMO.
Closed Thread