United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-04-2020, 09:59 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Said it before. Any other team and the league wouldn't think twice.
It's not really about who wins, give 'em the £#%&!ing trophy. I'd like to think that in the same situation United would tell them to poke it but probably not

The thing that makes completing the season a no go for me is the fact that you would be settling relegation and promotion places under completely different circumstances to those that the rest of the season was played in. There is likely a club or two that would escape relegation under normal circumstances that won't if the games are played behind doors and in a compressed time frame.

You either finish this season, or start the next one IMHO, you can't do both.

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:00 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
It's not really about who wins, give 'em the £#%&!ing trophy. I'd hope to think in the same situation United would tell them to poke it but probably not

The thing that makes completing the season a no go for me is the fact that you would be settling relegation and promotion places under completely different circumstances to those that the rest of the season was played in. There is likely a club or two that would escape relegation under normal circumstances that won't if the games are played behind doors and in a compressed time frame.

You either finish this season, or start the next one IMHO, you can't do both.
Points per game could be another solution to that. I don't know what they're on about, but some system to solve this issue.

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:01 AM
NedKelly

Even the scousers I know have gone quiet. I really think the majority of people are more interested in getting through his pandemic than finishing the PL. I’ve heard plenty of people say they miss football sure, but not one has mentioned finishing the season in recent weeks. It’s an irrelevance in the current climate.

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:02 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
I don't buy that

I think the PL and the FA have lost their grip on reality

How can you be in touch with the real world when you're in a business that pays 20-odd year old men 100-200k a week and they live like characters out of Fortnite.

It's in a bubble

They've created a financial chain reaction and they need money
and many of the clubs have serious business flaws with an over reliance on TV money to pay the young men the 100k..If they have to pay money back they are in real trouble.

Quote:
Points per game could be another solution to that.
Yeah but what if remaining fixtures are against lower placed teams? There are all sorts of anomalies - number of points per home/away fixture and multiply up?

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:06 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
and many of the clubs have serious business flaws with an over reliance on TV money to pay the young men the 100k..If they have to pay money back they are in real trouble.

Yeah but what if remaining fixtures are against lower placed teams? There are all sorts of anomalies - number of points per home/away fixture and multiply up?
absolutely no idea

maybe do pools panel verdicts?

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:15 AM
armchair

Give it to liverpool with an asterisk beside the result forever and have no relegation/promotion.

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:17 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Give it to liverpool with an asterisk beside the result forever and have no relegation/promotion.
If you award one you have to be consistent otherwise there would be legal challenges from anyone in the other leagues who are in promotion places.

It's an absolute can of worms.

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:18 AM
elhombre

Quote:
but then some are getting rewarded (Liverpool) but other's efforts throughout the season - i.e. clubs who would have been promoted - would have gone unnoticed.

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:18 AM
doudou

Quote:
Fairest solution that. No way they'll agree to it though, because it doesn't solve stuff like who gets into Europe and prize money for where you finish in the PL

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:20 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Fairest solution that. No way they'll agree to it though, because it doesn't solve stuff like who gets into Europe and prize money for where you finish in the PL
it quite obviously isn't the fairest.

so clubs who have battled it out in the championship all season and are on the brink of the playoffs and promotion would be OK with this?

bearing in mind these clubs will have spent a fortune banking on being successful?

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:22 AM
armchair

Quote:
but then some are getting rewarded (Liverpool) but other's efforts throughout the season - i.e. clubs who would have been promoted - would have gone unnoticed.
it wouldn't be a real win. it would be tainted. wonderful.

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:26 AM
tatty

Quote:
If you award one you have to be consistent otherwise there would be legal challenges from anyone in the other leagues who are in promotion places.

This has always been my view.

If the only question was ‘Should Liverpool be given the title?’ then I’d guess most would either shrug or agree.

The problem comes with the multiple issues that flow from doing that...there will be legal challenges prepared already throughout the leagues.

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Sandman

The only sensible solution is to cancel the rest of the season, any teams already on enough points to qualify for the champions league automatically qualify, any others mathematically in with a shout go into a mini pre-season tournament to decide the other qualifiers. Use the same set up for relegation, and promotion.

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:53 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Points per game could be another solution to that. I don't know what they're on about, but some system to solve this issue.
We beat Sheffield United to 5th by 0.016 of a point in this instance

Quote:

I was thinking you could award a league winner but have no promotion/relegation as the winners title has no impact on the next season, but of course that is only really fair in case like Celtic and the scousers where it's clear who is going to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Split the prize money equally between each team in the league.

Yeah right

Unread 29-04-2020, 10:59 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
This has always been my view.

If the only question was ‘Should Liverpool be given the title?’ then I’d guess most would either shrug or agree.

The problem comes with the multiple issues that flow from doing that...there will be legal challenges prepared already throughout the leagues.
There is also a precedent (Stevenage Borough) and an interesting comment by the original High Court judge about the need for certainty and planning for a new season.

Unread 29-04-2020, 11:21 AM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
I was thinking you could award a league winner but have no promotion/relegation as the winners title has no impact on the next season, but of course that is only really fair in case like Celtic and the scousers where it's clear who is going to win.
The very nature of sport is its unpredictable. So it's impossible to say Celtic and the vermin will definitely win the league, it's just highly likely.

You don't just stop the event when it's a foregone conclusion. As I like to point out to Liverpool fans in particular, it's like saying why did they bother playing the second half of the 2005 Champions League final.

Unread 29-04-2020, 11:24 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
The only sensible solution is to cancel the rest of the season, any teams already on enough points to qualify for the champions league automatically qualify, any others mathematically in with a shout go into a mini pre-season tournament to decide the other qualifiers. Use the same set up for relegation, and promotion.
Just not feasible - look at the top/bottom of the Championship loads of teams in with a possibility of play offs and relegation in fact would probably involve every team in some way

Unread 29-04-2020, 11:32 AM
solidstool

Surely next season is likely to be hit by stoppages. This thing isn't going away that easily.

We are going to end up with two half seasons, both cancelled (which admittedly would be funny if Liverpool lost out twice).

But surely the fairest thing would be to cancel next season, and finish this season off in the new year. Same with Champions league and Europa League.

If there is the opportunity to play more games, we could still have the 20/21 domestic cups, maybe also a slimmed down CL/EL. Just not a full proper season.

Start again properly for the 21/22 season.

Unread 29-04-2020, 11:44 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstool
Surely next season is likely to be hit by stoppages. This thing isn't going away that easily.

We are going to end up with two half seasons, both cancelled (which admittedly would be funny if Liverpool lost out twice).

But surely the fairest thing would be to cancel next season, and finish this season off in the new year. Same with Champions league and Europa League.

If there is the opportunity to play more games, we could still have the 20/21 domestic cups, maybe also a slimmed down CL/EL. Just not a full proper season.

Start again properly for the 21/22 season.
Finish seasons across Europe that only have a few games left and forget about next season?

Silly idea.

Majority of the countries will follow France and Holland and bin off the seasons. The PL will try to force the season to end and will be a monumental PR disaster (even more than it already is) and they will then surrender and cancel it (and cue colossal seethe from the Scoue @#%&!s).

Unread 29-04-2020, 11:50 AM
CyrilSkeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Finish seasons across Europe that only have a few games left and forget about next season?

Silly idea.

Majority of the countries will follow France and Holland and bin off the seasons. The PL will try to force the season to end and will be a monumental PR disaster.
A very silly idea, given the season after is also the farcical world cup year in Qatar with all the shit that's going to cause to the football calendar. Time to bite the bullet, cancel it and end the limbo state football is currently in.
Closed Thread