United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:48 PM
NedKelly

There’s nothing bad about the performance - nothing particularly good about it, but I’ll take it. At least we are starting to look like a team, instead of a group of individuals.

Dr Stranger

You can tell there’s a lot at stake as it’s getting very scrappy. This was never going to be easy and WH are really hard to break down. Moved the ball ok and we seem be playing with a little more confidence, but as ever, still need to move the ball quicker and with more purpose.

I’ll take a scrappy 1-0 all day long here.

Think we’re looking a little more solid and tougher to get behind

waynes ear's

enjoyed that

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:49 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
There’s nothing bad about the performance - nothing particularly good about it, but I’ll take it. At least we are starting to look like a team, instead of a group of individuals.
The pressure has been OK. We still look clueless in the final third tho.

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:49 PM
Dasilvatwins

Plus we are controlling the game. Midfield can’t thread a 15 yard pass. Too many times Fred gets the ball and has to play it 5 yards because he doesn’t want to thread a ball forward. Slows the whole game down . Also think the wingers need to hug the touch line a bit. Let elanga and greenwood get wide

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:51 PM
dunk

Hope they take Lingard with them back to London.

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:51 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Plus we are controlling the game. Midfield can’t thread a 15 yard pass. Too many times Fred gets the ball and has to play it 5 yards because he doesn’t want to thread a ball forward. Slows the whole game down . Also think the wingers need to hug the touch line a bit. Let elanga and greenwood get wide
Yeah the midfielders have no confidence that they can break the lines with their passing. They sometimes can, but they’re not consistent enough on the ball. Especially Fred. The Scottish Player would rather try and sprint past players than play round them.

This is why I’d still like to see Beek in one of those positions, but that’s clearly not going to happen.

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Game for Beek?

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:53 PM
waynes ear's

surprise appearance from sunbed

Dr Stranger

And dare I say… Maguire has looked a bit better.

Dasilvatwins

Don’t know if West Ham are just defending well but the full backs aren’t getting far enough forward.

If the CM had one more passer it will make the difference . It’s important to switch sides with this formation but bar Bruno non of them can hit a 40 yard pass to the other side with accuracy.

Even then the couple of times he has tried it he has #@&%!ed it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Game for Beek?
Maybe , but Fred is doing a lot of running and closing down. VDB has to match it because if one of the CMs doesn’t cover ground the team will be very open .

As much as I like Ronaldo I wish he would stop playing like everything has to come through him. He needs to alter is running patterns, drag a defender wide , let elanga or greenwood come in.

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:55 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
The pressure has been OK. We still look clueless in the final third tho.
Baby steps. Think Rangnick’s prioritised getting us looking a bit more solid. Hopefully our attacking game improves as time goes on.

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:56 PM
dunk

Covering getting hit on the break, nqat, it was Brentford’s main source of joy and our Achilles heel for the longest. Lack of passing quality from the middle 3 is murder.

Maguire solid where necessary, shit on the ball.

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:56 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
enjoyed that
Me too. First half hour probably the best we've played since Busby's first reign.

Unread 22-01-2022, 03:57 PM
dunk

Quote:
Don’t know if West Ham are just defending well but the full backs aren’t getting far enough forward.

If the CM had one more passer it will make the difference . It’s important to switch sides with this formation but bar Bruno non of them can hit a 40 yard pass to the other side with accuracy.

Even then the couple of times he has tried it he has #@&%!ed it up.

Maybe , but Fred is doing a lot of running and closing down. VDB has to match it because if one of the CMs doesn’t cover ground the team will be very open .

As much as I like Ronaldo I wish he would stop playing like everything has to come through him. He needs to alter is running patterns, drag a defender wide , let elanga or greenwood come in.
Switch it. Forward for Beek, extra brain picking from deep, allow the full backs more license to bomb on and make more of a 2 up top?

Unread 22-01-2022, 04:01 PM
Dasilvatwins

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Switch it. Forward for Beek, extra brain picking from deep, allow the full backs more license to bomb on and make more of a 2 up top?
Or maybe VDB for elanga and have him sort of play an inside forward . Let telles run down the wing

The game is crying out for someone who can pass . That said think the control of the game has been great just lacking that final third creativity

Unread 22-01-2022, 04:02 PM
dunk

Dangerously close to how we shoehorn Pogba in that

Unread 22-01-2022, 04:03 PM
AK14

Should it have been a penalty for the Zouma foul on Ron?

From what I’ve read (not watching… ) it should have been.

Unread 22-01-2022, 04:03 PM
dunk

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Should it have been a penalty for the Zouma foul on Ron?

From what I’ve read (not watching… ) it should have been.
Nah. Soft as shite.

Unread 22-01-2022, 04:05 PM
tatty

I’m ok with a run of solid but dull performances.

We need to walk before we can run.