United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Money

Unread 14-01-2020, 01:51 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I have shares in one company only and it went up 30% over the past few days. Question is do I cash in or wait? I bought it two years ago and itís been pretty up and down but right now about 60% up from what I put in. Itís a Chinese tech company so probably not a long term punt. Plus Iím skint and could do with the cash money.
Depends how much you're talking and how much you need now, and how much you're prepared to lose. Not to mention taxes and commission.

Consider whether it's worth taking half out now and banking some profit, then having another bloody look in 6 months.

Unread 14-01-2020, 03:14 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
FX rates and stocks investment threads on a Monday morning, is anyone on here actually working class?
Among the labour luvvies on here? Donít be daft.

Unread 14-01-2020, 03:53 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
Among the labour luvvies on here? Donít be daft.
You're not exactly Benny from Crossroads ffs :-)

Unread 14-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
FX rates and stocks investment threads on a Monday morning, is anyone on here actually working class?
I am. Live in an ex council house and occasionally eat spam on toast.

Also try and put a bit away each month so when the tories raise the pension age to 87 and healthcare isn't free I will at least have a bit to fall back on.

Unread 14-01-2020, 06:08 PM
Cream

Quote:
I have shares in one company only and it went up 30% over the past few days. Question is do I cash in or wait? I bought it two years ago and itís been pretty up and down but right now about 60% up from what I put in. Itís a Chinese tech company so probably not a long term punt. Plus Iím skint and could do with the cash money.
Cash out.

Unread 15-01-2020, 02:44 AM
shenwen

Bought at 270 HKD. Now hovering at 400. Going to put in a sell order at 420, although even that might be reaching. It's a fair amount of cash (for me) and I've not worked for the past 9 months, so I think it's cash-in time.

Unread 15-01-2020, 08:33 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
I am. Live in an ex council house and occasionally eat spam on toast.

Also try and put a bit away each month so when the tories raise the pension age to 87 and healthcare isn't free I will at least have a bit to fall back on.
Eh up, Ted DiBiase has turned up

Unread 15-01-2020, 08:48 AM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Cash out your original stake and let the rest ride you chicken

Unread 15-01-2020, 08:48 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
This.

Do it Shenners ffs.

Unread 15-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Eh up, Ted DiBiase has turned up

Say's the man with his own Virgil

Unread 15-01-2020, 10:25 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off

Say's the man with his own Virgil

FFS

At lunch I'm going to get him to cut his sleeves off.

Unread 15-01-2020, 10:44 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath

FFS

At lunch I'm going to get him to cut his sleeves off.

Any oil related leads?

Unread 15-01-2020, 10:56 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

Any oil related leads?
None at all mate - it's heading into stormy waters.

Oversupply of LNG for the majors

Fluctuations (fluck you Europeans too) in the oil price due to Donald and Iran etc.

Only oil I'd advise investing in now is Oil of Ulay. It's really good for your hands. Can PM a pic if you want?

Unread 15-01-2020, 11:05 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
I didn't think about that Already put the order in online. If it hits 420 over the next four trading days then I'm out. If it doesn't hit that then I'll cash in my original stake and see what happens with what's left.

This is the only stock I've ever owned (except for some trackers for my pension). Six months after I bought it at 270 HKD it was up to 450. I thought I was riding the next Microsoft . Then it collapsed to 260.

I was actually recommended to buy back in 2010 when it was only 40 HKD, but I ignored the (inside) advice. I knew nothing about stocks and genuinely couldn't be arsed trying to work it all out.

Unread 15-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Cream

Quote:
I didn't think about that Already put the order in online. If it hits 420 over the next four trading days then I'm out. If it doesn't hit that then I'll cash in my original stake and see what happens with what's left.

This is the only stock I've ever owned (except for some trackers for my pension). Six months after I bought it at 270 HKD it was up to 450. I thought I was riding the next Microsoft . Then it collapsed to 260.

I was actually recommended to buy back in 2010 when it was only 40 HKD, but I ignored the (inside) advice. I knew nothing about stocks and genuinely couldn't be arsed trying to work it all out.
Pride comes before a fall.

You've hit lucky. Get. Out.

Unread 27-02-2020, 06:35 PM
est.1878

To hold long term : Dart group and IAG. Easyjet perhaps.

Plus short us hotel chains if you're brave

Unread 27-02-2020, 07:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
Think you just answered your own question there mate.

Unread 27-02-2020, 09:57 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Brockman
Pre-tax income into pension will almost always beat post-tax income investments. Especially for those of us who have less time to wait for it than others.
I try to put extra cash into my company pension for this very reason, plus it seems less risky to me. We also have a share scheme at work where the firm will match the money you put in upto £75 a month so they are the only shares I actually own, this comes from pre tax income as well so it's a decent investment I think...I put my dividends back in as well.

Unread 27-02-2020, 10:30 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
I try to put extra cash into my company pension for this very reason, plus it seems less risky to me. We also have a share scheme at work where the firm will match the money you put in upto £75 a month so they are the only shares I actually own, this comes from pre tax income as well so it's a decent investment I think...I put my dividends back in as well.
Would recommend selling out of them annually after the tax benefits have kicked in.

When I had one you had to hold them for 5 years to get all the benefits. So after 6 years, I'd sell the first years worth, and so on, just to diversify your portfolio. I know a lot of people who had 6 figures in Barclays shares which are now worth about £10k.

Unread 27-02-2020, 10:49 PM
Kent Brockman

Yeah, it's risky having all of your fortunes tied up in one company. Sell your shares and stick it into AVCs as soon as you're able. Bank your gains that you got from the pre-tax purchase and the company matching.