Closed Thread

Unread 05-11-2013, 09:57 AM
no fun

Default the disappeared, bbc 4 10pm tonight

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...55980276,d.d2k

looks like a good documentary

Unread 05-11-2013, 11:47 AM
rogieop

Watched it last night here in oirland one of the best documentary's I've ever seen. Felt so sorry for some of the families. That gerry Adams is some can't!

Unread 05-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Scabs

Thanks No Fun, will record it. Looks a bit harrowing, mind.

Unread 05-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Fountz

You're right, looks really interesting.

Saw the woman talking to Susanna Reid this morning. Poor lass. Similar, I suppose, to Keith Bennett's Mum Winnie.. condemned to a life of purgatory without closure.

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:03 PM
forzagarza

Let's face facts you might not agree with the IRAs aim but who wouldn't do what they did. I f***ing would in their position. Absolutely nothing wrong with anything in that article. I'd go so far as to say they were a bit f***ing soft as well. Should have put peoples heads in a massive jelly and then donated it to their kids school or something

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Let's face facts you might not agree with the IRAs aim but who wouldn't do what they did. I f***ing would in their position. Absolutely nothing wrong with anything in that article. I'd go so far as to say they were a bit f***ing soft as well. Should have put peoples heads in a massive jelly and then donated it to their kids school or something
if people were "touts" then I can understand why they were killed, but in the case of jean mcconville it appeared her only "crime" was fraternising with british soldiers, which usually meant a tar and feathering at worse

unless theres a bit more to it than that

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:08 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
if people were "touts" then I can understand why they were killed, but in the case of jean mcconville it appeared her only "crime" was fraternising with british soldiers, which usually meant a tar and feathering at worse

unless theres a bit more to it than that
well you've got to crack a few eggs to make a lemon meringue pie unless you buy it all out of packets and then put ready made meringues on top.

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:09 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
well you've got to crack a few eggs to make a lemon meringue pie unless you buy it all out of packets and then put ready made meringues on top.
soda bread would have been a better analogy

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:11 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

You have to question why the subject of the 'disappeared' gets so much prominence, especially as there were so few of them, measured against say the victims of state sponsored murder gangs and death squads, not that there should be a hierarchy of victims.

I reckon it has a lot to do with a concerted attempt by the state and particularly the irish state to stymied the continued electoral advance of Sinn Féin, especially in the south, noting that this is a joint BBC/RTE production.

The none stop campaign against Adams in the south over the Jean McConville case stinks of an orchestrated effort by the Irish, with the assistance of their British allies, to cut him off at the pass. When when the last time a 'major' co production was aired more or less simultaneously in both countries......

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:33 PM
bobbledinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
You have to question why the subject of the 'disappeared' gets so much prominence, especially as there were so few of them, measured against say the victims of state sponsored murder gangs and death squads, not that there should be a hierarchy of victims.

I reckon it has a lot to do with a concerted attempt by the state and particularly the irish state to stymied the continued electoral advance of Sinn Féin, especially in the south, noting that this is a joint BBC/RTE production.

The none stop campaign against Adams in the south over the Jean McConville case stinks of an orchestrated effort by the Irish, with the assistance of their British allies, to cut him off at the pass. When when the last time a 'major' co production was aired more or less simultaneously in both countries......
New evidence came to light when the Boston tape was released, they can hardly ignore that. It's a similar campaign to Winnie Bennett's in that, it's known they're dead but remains have yet to be recovered. It's a human interest story more than anything although the common belief that Adams had a hand in it makes it irresistible for a journalist especially when new evidence emerges.

He's a high profile politician so there's a bounty on his head from a journalistic point of view. They see it as a matter of time before he gets caught out.

FWIW I don't ever see him being found out properly. Too much hassle, for both governments, too much to lose. They're all in it together.

As for joint funding, it happens often enough.

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:34 PM
no fun

Quote:

big fat gypsy wedding

Unread 05-11-2013, 03:34 PM
no fun

just watched it on catch up - didnt realise it was on bbc 1 storyville last night

very upsetting in parts

adams clearly knew more than he was letting on

Unread 05-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Throw

Quote:
just watched it on catch up - didnt realise it was on bbc 1 storyville last night

very upsetting in parts

You do know its on tonight as well?

Unread 05-11-2013, 03:37 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
You do know its on tonight as well?
yea

might watch it again

Unread 05-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Throw

Quote:
yea

might watch it again
Good.

Unread 05-11-2013, 03:41 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
Good.

dont forget declan night bbc4 9pm this friday

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:17 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:

very upsetting in parts

No doubt.

Tune in next week to see how Margaret Thatcher personally authorised the extra judicial killing of british citizens by the security forces tbpinochet

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
no fun

Quote:
[/b]

No doubt.

Tune in next week to see how Margaret Thatcher personally authorised the extra judicial killing of british citizens by the security forces tbpinochet
already investigated by john stalker, and I believe every word of it

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
already investigated by john stalker, and I believe every word of it
I wonder if there will be a simultaneously aired emotionally manipulative documentary featuring orphans and loved ones crying and poor old stalker selling double glazing...........

They are doing everything they can in the south to stop Adam & Co achieving a major breakthrough at the next election and that programme was part of it.

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Throw

Quote:
dont forget declan night bbc4 9pm this friday
I'll need a thread about it.
Closed Thread