United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Unread 28-09-2022, 12:46 PM
windy waffles

Default How much/often do you drink?

I used to obviously drink when I go out or meet people down the pub (as you do) but, during covid, like a lot of us, we all drank more. One thing I got really into was wine. Probably had half a bottle per night but, now that covid has ended, I am still well into that habit. Couple of large glasses per night - pretty much half a bottle. Doesn't matter if its a Monday night or a Wednesday - once the kids are down, a glass is poured...

Anyone else have a similar 'routine'.

I've done 'alcoholic tests' online as it does make you wonder but I don't think I'm there yet. I never drink during the day, rarely before 7pm so, in my head, that makes it OK or does it make me a functioning alcoholic? Never wake up with a hangover, feel regret, have blackouts - it's only two glasses but still...

Who knows. Probably been similar threads before but it's definitely something I've noticed over the past year or so.

Unread 28-09-2022, 12:50 PM
Baron

A frankly heroic amount.

Unread 28-09-2022, 12:51 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
A frankly heroic amount.
Daily?

Unread 28-09-2022, 12:54 PM
Bunker Buster

5 or 6 nights out of 10....

But quantity is low...

Unread 28-09-2022, 12:56 PM
Drexl

Go months and months and months without, then go on a beano for a week

Sacked the spirits and wine and stepped down to weaker ales. Proper into Boddies which is only 3.6%

I'm shocked how quickly I put the weight back on that took me 2 months to lose. I'm talking like in a few days

#pigout reds

Patty_b

Practically never now. Went from Friday and Saturday mayhem in my twenties, to a few cans at the weekend watching the footy/chilling out in the evening until a few years ago where I just started feeling down whenever I had a drink so just stopped.

Only time I will now is a social event, or if the suns blazing and we're having a BBQ or something.

Still have my own personal recreational crutch though.

Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles View Post
I used to obviously drink when I go out or meet people down the pub (as you do) but, during covid, like a lot of us, we all drank more. One thing I got really into was wine. Probably had half a bottle per night but, now that covid has ended, I am still well into that habit. Couple of large glasses per night - pretty much half a bottle. Doesn't matter if its a Monday night or a Wednesday - once the kids are down, a glass is poured...

I've done 'alcoholic tests' online as it does make you wonder but I don't think I'm there yet. I never drink during the day, rarely before 7pm so, in my head, that makes it OK or does it make me a functioning alcoholic? Never wake up with a hangover, feel regret, have blackouts - it's only two glasses but still...

Who knows. Probably been similar threads before but it's definitely something I've noticed over the past year or so.

Read 'drink?' by Prof. David Nutt (lol)

You'll soon either cut down or stop.

I think a lot of people got into the habit over lockdown as there was frankly little else to do, and people had more disposable income. Probably broke up the daily monotony for many.

It's just a mindset thing for me now. I enjoy going out on a friday or saturday and having a few, but drinking during the week bores the f*** out of me. A drain on my wallet, my energy and my mood. Shite. Also impacts your gAiNz if you're a boring gym bastard, or just your health & weight in general regardless.

Chorlton74

have about 2 pints of Guinness a week. can't really be arsed with alcohol anymore.

Unread 28-09-2022, 12:58 PM
Baron

Quote:
Daily?
Yep, we'll easily tan 2 bottles of wine an evening. Weekends everything is based around events / dinners / party / travel etc with booze involved.

Socially, it's impossible to not drink. Add in any party favours if out on the weekends for something special like a birthday, wedding or whatever (it's Saturday, f*** it?) and I'm probably on a fast-track to keeling over.

Been way worse this year for sure. Am actually bordering on glad I'll have the house to myself for around 7 weeks of the next 10 so I can moderate myself again & get back to some kind of exercise routine & eating better. We're complete enablers to each other when home.

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:00 PM
red red robbo

Quote:

Could you go a week without drinking? If not then you have a drink problem IMHO.

Couple of pints on a Friday or Saturday tops for me, probably not both. became a proper lightweight after having kids

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:02 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:

Half a bottle is nothing, its when you have to empty the second bottle its a problem Nothing wrong with a couple of glasses of wine, just keep an eye on the 'habit' if it extends and is daily, it will become a problem.

All the advice is to have days offs, pick your nights and be disciplined.

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:19 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane View Post
Half a bottle is nothing, its when you have to empty the second bottle its a problem Nothing wrong with a couple of glasses of wine, just keep an eye on the 'habit' if it extends and is daily, it will become a problem.

All the advice is to have days offs, pick your nights and be disciplined.
All the advice is to not drink, at all. There is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

As Mike says, that book is a real eye opener. I gave up for a while after I read it, although that didnít last long. I veer between binges, or drinking every night, or going a few weeks dry. Itís an awful habit imho, and I genuinely envy people who can do without it.

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:19 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Yep, we'll easily tan 2 bottles of wine an evening. Weekends everything is based around events / dinners / party / travel etc with booze involved.

Socially, it's impossible to not drink. Add in any party favours if out on the weekends for something special like a birthday, wedding or whatever (it's Saturday, f*** it?) and I'm probably on a fast-track to keeling over.

Been way worse this year for sure. Am actually bordering on glad I'll have the house to myself for around 7 weeks of the next 10 so I can moderate myself again & get back to some kind of exercise routine & eating better. We're complete enablers to each other when home.
Careful bro, went down the same road and it led to nowhere good

Still do the odd binge, but it just leaves me feeling totally depressed and pissed off with what I have spent, what I haven't done, who I've let down etc and it takes about a week to recover

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:20 PM
Fat Al

Used to be a couple of bottles of wine a night, Fri, Sat & Sun.

Then it was 2 a night pretty much every night.

Not a good path to go down. So haven't touched a drop for the past 10 days.

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:22 PM
Mr_Ed

Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Thursday is usually to excess, Friday is a few and just a couple on Saturday. Turning to gin now as Iím
becoming intolerant to Cider / Lager at volume and canít spend my Fridays and Saturdays shitting.

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:22 PM
dunk

Tend to go weeks without and then smash it which is probably the worst way to do it tbh. Need to knock it on the head forever, really..

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:24 PM
AK14

Very rarely

Maybe a pint at the rugby every once in a while bits thatís about it.

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:24 PM
pc6090

As an alcoholic I used to smash it every night. 4/5 beers. Bottle of wine. Half bottle of spirits

As a recovering alcoholic Iíve not had a drink in something like 2 months and feel great

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:25 PM
shenwen

Barely. I'd have to think hard about the last time. Don't drink at home, ever. Maybe had a beer when having dinner outside a couple of weeks ago. Before that, summer hols in Europe. Anniversary this weekend so I'm sure there'll be a couple of bottles of wine at dinner.

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:26 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090 View Post
As an alcoholic I used to smash it every night. 4/5 beers. Bottle of wine. Half bottle of spirits

As a recovering alcoholic Iíve not had a drink in something like 2 months and feel great
Well done pal.