United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Unread 04-07-2022, 08:38 PM
Tommy M

Default Gluten Free

Does anyone follow a Gluten free diet?
If so, has it made any positive impact ?

I have read that it can help your general well being, also that it can
alleviate anxiety and depression.

Unread 04-07-2022, 08:58 PM
Drexl

I do!

Absolutely a definite improvement in my life. 100%

I've no idea about anxiety and depression, my problem was wheat making a section of my intestines spasm which - and there is no delicate way to put this - it was russian roulette whether I would go poo poo in my trousers. Every. Single. Day.

That and painful rashes/skin cracking.

Sidenote: The gluten-free substitutes (bread and cakes etc) are full of worse crap than the stuff they are replacing in most cases in my experience

Unread 04-07-2022, 08:59 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
I do!

Absolutely definite improvement in my life. 100%

I've no idea about anxiety and depression, my problem was wheat making a section of my intestines spasm which - and there is no delicate way to put this - it was russian roulette whether I would go poo poo in my trousers. Every. Single. Day.

Sidenote: The gluten-free substitutes (bread and cakes etc) are full of worse crap than the stuff they are replacing in most cases in my expereince
I know someone like that. Apparently, pitta bread is gluten free without any nonsense.

Unread 04-07-2022, 09:01 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I know someone like that. Apparently, pitta bread is gluten free without any nonsense.
Really!

This could be an absolute game changer.

I'm okay with durum wheat, which I think is chickpeas(?), but I've never even thought to look at pittas

Unread 04-07-2022, 09:02 PM
armchair

You'd have to check but apparently so.

Unread 04-07-2022, 09:02 PM
Bunker Buster

File alongside hayfever....

A dietary requirements for poorly little bellies ..

Imagine giving up chips ! Normal beers, life ...

My SiL is gluten free but eats and drinks it all when it's a celebration, belly goes massive....wah wah wah....it's a millennium disease.

Heard it clears up your skin.....does it yeah, tell cavemen, natural hunters, our forefathers...

Got a visiting friend a half loaf from the Asda 4.80...

bread like f***ing flip flops ..

Chick pea alternatives... Himalayan salt feet...

Gluten free, almond milk, whey protein, vegan nerds...

Unread 04-07-2022, 09:09 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

My SiL is gluten free but eats and drinks it all when it's a celebration, belly goes massive....wah wah wah....it's a millennium disease.

Heard it clears up your skin.....does it yeah, tell cavemen, natural hunters, our forefathers...

He's done me here tbf

Unread 04-07-2022, 09:15 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
He's done me here tbf

Drex, my guy ..

Unread 04-07-2022, 09:21 PM
Tommy M

Quote:
I do!

Absolutely a definite improvement in my life. 100%

Sidenote: The gluten-free substitutes (bread and cakes etc) are full of worse crap than the stuff they are replacing in most cases in my experience
Cheers

Yeah , i have tried the bread and cakes, not nice , falls to pieces.
Obviously the Gluten is binding. The pasta i tried was okay.

I will stick with it, did it for a couple of weeks, felt much better.
However i started to eat Pasta and bread again , felt shit again
maybe it`s all in my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Ha .. hay fever is real

Unread 04-07-2022, 09:41 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy M

Ha .. hay fever is real
Ant from Antihistamines is in...

Unread 04-07-2022, 10:07 PM
Big Norm

Older bird who worked in my old office was diagnosed coeliac couple of years ago. Gluten free products were her only topic of conversation every day since and insisted she got her own toaster, chopping board and shelf in the kitchen area.

About a month later somebody nicked her toaster.

Never f***ing heard of being allergic to gluten till about 10 years ago. Reckon it's a wum by Marks and Spencers tbh.

Unread 04-07-2022, 10:57 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
. Reckon it's a wum by Marks and Spencers tbh.

Unread 05-07-2022, 07:39 AM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Older bird who worked in my old office was diagnosed coeliac couple of years ago. Gluten free products were her only topic of conversation every day since and insisted she got her own toaster, chopping board and shelf in the kitchen area.

About a month later somebody nicked her toaster.

Never f***ing heard of being allergic to gluten till about 10 years ago. Reckon it's a wum by Marks and Spencers tbh.

Food has changed: the way it is grown, worldwide foreign pollens, GM crops, manufacturing processes, using cheaper and cheaper ingredients to pump up the bottom line, high-fructose corn syrup, rapeseed oil... what we eat today did not exist in this form when our parents were kids. It's going to make a section of the population ill. Like Bunks said: its a millennial disease

TBF I wouldn't believe it was real if I it didn't make me go to the toilet 15 times a day and make my head feel like it was stuffed with cotton wool and make my skin crack and my bum-cheeks turn purple

Just have sympathy if your child displays symptoms is all I ask (non of the above is directed at anyone in particular)

Unread 05-07-2022, 07:42 AM
Stickman

If he's free get him in I say.

Unread 05-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Zorg

Pretty sure you only need a gluten-free diet if you have coeliac disease don't you? Otherwise it's unnecessary.