United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He could just go into retirement whenever he felt like, just on the money United and Chelsea paid him to f*** off

I can’t stand the man. Was finished at Madrid imo.
My post was a little 'paging Dunk to the thread' tbf

Maybe he wants to prove he still has it. Who knows. He looks like the fire has gone.

I don't buy into this idea that his style doesn't work anymore. There's always a place for particular types of football. Simeone is still going strong at Madrid.

He just doesn't do that sort of thing well anymore. Have the last two Mourinho teams ever been easier to score against?

Unread 07-07-2020, 02:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

Maybe he wants to prove he still has it. Who knows. He looks like the fire has gone.

I don't buy into this idea that his style doesn't work anymore. There's always a place for particular types of football. Simeone is still going strong at Madrid.

He just doesn't do that sort of thing well anymore. Have the last two Mourinho teams ever been easier to score against?

When he arrived at OT I expected a few things; defence and shape would be solid, we’d be good at set-pieces and the players would ‘run through walls’ for him.. none of that happened, or was even close to happening imo. Same at Spurs thus far. Honestly think Madrid broke him. He wasn’t allowed to do his defensive/percentage football thing and the players all turned on him. It was completely alien to him and he can’t get that aura back.

*I should qualify, he seems like a great bloke in general, away from football and the actual game.

Unread 07-07-2020, 02:07 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

When he arrived at OT I expected a few things; defence and shape would be solid, we’d be good at set-pieces and the players would ‘run through walls’ for him.. none of that happened, or was even close to happening imo. Same at Spurs thus far. Honestly think Madrid broke him. He wasn’t allowed to do his defensive/percentage football thing and the players all turned on him. It was completely alien to him and he can’t get that aura back.
Players are a bit different now too, I suppose. The 'arm round the shoulder' types seem to thrive more in terms of man-management.

The aura around him has certainly gone.

*agreed. Its all an act. I'm sure he'd be fine to have a couple of drinks when.

Unread 07-07-2020, 02:07 PM
Baron

He should head back to Italy where they actually find his schtick interesting.

The bare minimum a side should provide is a bit of entertainment, he's an absolute joy hoover. Delighted we £#%&!ed him off & doubly so that Ole is showing him & the other dinosaur Van Gaal up for how to rebuild the squad.

Unread 07-07-2020, 02:10 PM
utd99

Quote:

Mourinho’s problem is that, once he decides a player’s not for him he has nowhere to go. He simply doesn’t have the strength of personality to turn them around, so he just gives up and starts slating them, making it personal. If he can’t solve his problems in the transfer market, as he did first time round with Chelsea, he has no solutions. That’s when the pettiness ramps up; then it’s all over bar the shouting.

Unread 07-07-2020, 02:13 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Mourinho’s problem is that, once he decides a player’s not for him he has nowhere to go. He simply doesn’t have the strength of personality to turn them around, so he just gives up and starts slating them, making it personal. If he can’t solve his problems in the transfer market, as he did first time round with Chelsea, he has no solutions. That’s when the pettiness ramps up; then it’s all over bar the shouting.
Was this always the case though?

He had that 'run through walls' mentality in his sides early in his career.

Unread 07-07-2020, 02:29 PM
utd99

Quote:
Was this always the case though?

He had that 'run through walls' mentality in his sides early in his career.
Different time, different players, different resources. Back then he inherited a core of good professionals like Lampard and Terry, and players like that run the dressing room, but let’s not forget he had a blank chequebook too. Also he was still in the process of building his CV, and that requires a certain enforced humility; that went out the window when he started to think of himself as bigger than the clubs he worked for.

In short, once he believed his own hype Mr Hyde had free reign.

Unread 07-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Different time, different players, different resources. Back then he inherited a core of good professionals like Lampard and Terry, and players like that run the dressing room, but let’s not forget he had a blank chequebook too. Also he was still in the process of building his CV, and that requires a certain enforced humility; that went out the window when he started to think of himself as bigger than the clubs he worked for.

In short, once he believed his own hype Mr Hyde had free reign.
I guess.

Certainly a shadow of what he was.

Hard to see him ever getting it back
Closed Thread