United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Money

Unread 04-01-2019, 06:46 PM
Sapien

Post Should you give money to beggars?

Was on the tube with the wife yesterday and a disheveled man came through asking for money ‘for a bed for the night’. I gave him some but afterwards got into a heated debate with the wife you felt that I shouldn’t have because it exacerbates the problem and beggars on trains can be very intimidating for women who are on their own.

I can see both sides of it really but most of the advice seems to be to not give directly to beggars but to give to a shelter or similar instead.

Eg https://www.wlm.org.uk/who-we-are/ar...people-begging
Thoughts?

Unread 04-01-2019, 06:49 PM
My Name is Heath

If they declare this income to the tax man, that’s OK.

Unread 04-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Lok

Tough one.

Many charities are wasteful and only a fraction of the money will go to where it needs to. On the other hand there's a good chance he's a professional beggar or is going to spend it on booze/drugs.

Probably best to just spend it on booze/drugs yourself.

Unread 04-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Sparky***

There's a guy who sits outside my local tesco who i give money to. He's got a lovely dog called trigger, i see him most days and chat to him, give him what spare change i have.

It's not much but acknowledging homeless people is a big thing, don't make them feel like they're invisible. the world is cruel and hard, it's important to do something kind every day.

Unread 04-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Just give them a quid and move on. Exacerbates the problem, ffs.

Unread 04-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Knockers

My old man has worked for the city council’s homelessness team for years. If I gave money to a paraffin he’d go bananas.
His work heads are dead against Burnham’s solemn pledge to guarantee a bed to everyone on the streets. Apparently it’s caused mayhem. ‘Some people actually want to be homeless’.

Sounds like nonsense to me but he’s on the frontline...

Unread 04-01-2019, 08:33 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
My old man has worked for the city council’s homelessness team for years. If I gave money to a paraffin he’d go bananas.
His work heads are dead against Burnham’s solemn pledge to guarantee a bed to everyone on the streets. Apparently it’s caused mayhem. ‘Some people actually want to be homeless’.

It is pretty much nonsense, if it wasn't street homelessness wouldn't have fallen to near zero under the last Labour government.

Unread 04-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Cream

Some people do want to be homeless and are not salvageable.
Diogenes syndrome and all that.

There are gangs putting 'beggars' out on the street, who are scooped up at the end of their shifts. Romany types. What the f*** are they even doing in the UK?

There are lads pretending to be homeless, have a roof over their heads and in receipt of benefits. (I used to know one). Nice living.

There are people living in shitholes who are f***ing skint and deserve a few quid until they get their lives back together. They don't require a bed for the night.

Complex problem.

Unread 04-01-2019, 08:58 PM
Hands of Scone

Homelessness is real problem and there but for the grace of god go I.

Well, the grace of god, a personality disorder, alcoholism, crack, and a lifetime of alienating anyone who might have been willing to help. Still, humanity and all that.

Most recieve benefits. A good few are trying it on. Others have just hit the skids. Others have spurned all the help available and can’t help but head for the gutter. Many of them are mentals who just need a nice comfy asylum and people to take care of them. Most are druggies who’d rather have some gear than a bed.

It’s tough enough without all the c***s that prey on them too. The begging racket is violent. Scallies rob them. Drunks batter them all the time.

Never really understood the old “Ooh dont give them money they’ll just spend it on booze”. I can spare a quid for someone who is desperate for a drink or some drugs. It’s just one of their expenses. f***ers have still got to eat.

Could do without all the human faeces in car parks though.

Death squads may be the long term solution.

Unread 04-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

I gave to the people sleeping rough with a paper cup out.

Don't want to give to junkies.

Never give to gypsies.

Unread 04-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
I gave to the people sleeping rough with a paper cup out.

Don't want to give to junkies.

Never give to gypsies.
Racist

Unread 04-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop
I just cross the street.
Cream does that. Then he follows them until they give him something

Unread 04-01-2019, 09:15 PM
est.1878

Distant family member died on streets of MCR full blown alcie. How many hits of extreme bad luck and or decisions could put you into the shit..? Give few bits of food not £ perhaps..

When its proper cold ie from now onwards could we not setup tents in a heated gmex and close it all down in march? Be worse behavior at an average Leeds fest. Could also do some Intel to snare the pusher

Unread 04-01-2019, 09:19 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex

Never give to gypsies.
Don’t have a choice it’s a joint account

Unread 04-01-2019, 09:57 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers

As crazy as it sounds, I do believe some want to live on the streets. There was a programme on bbc wales a while ago and many people they spoke to said they wouldn’t be able to function if not on the streets, a few even got housing but found themselves back on the streets and admired they preceded it?!

Unread 04-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
Racist
Nothing race related. But I saw some roma gypsies in Dublin hand over their taking to their gang boss. Said boss was well dressed and the street urchins were visibly afraid of the c***.
Also knew of a roma family living in an abandoned gaf who would treat begging as a shift job. It's not as if giving to them is helping them get off their feet.

Felt bad for them. They are essentially slaves.

Unread 04-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Bunker Buster

In town I'll offer food/drink or cigs.....found one the other day that actually didn't smoke, fair play....

Locally I'll offer food if I know them, they usually claim a BnB is all they are after, although I seen one in Christmas Eve 6am and he didn't revonigse me he was that gone..

Tough situation with many levels....

Getting drastically worse if anything.

Unread 04-01-2019, 10:24 PM
Albert Tatlock

Loads over here.

Many on my walk from the station to work in the mornings. Used to give a few Euros each time until I forgot to take my "beggar coins" with me the one day... they chased me down the street shouting obscenities and the what not. There was one dwarf that looked like peter dinklage. He tried to give me a crack for forgetting "his" money. Carried a blackthorn knob stick* every day since then and threaten to whack them if they try that shit again

Unread 04-01-2019, 10:28 PM
nick henry

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
There's a guy who sits outside my local tesco who i give money to. He's got a lovely dog called trigger, i see him most days and chat to him, give him what spare change i have.

It's not much but acknowledging homeless people is a big thing, don't make them feel like they're invisible. the world is cruel and hard, it's important to do something kind every day.
Well said pal.

Unread 04-01-2019, 10:28 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Loads over here.

Many on my walk from the station to work in the mornings. Used to give a few Euros each time until I forgot to take my "beggar coins" with me the one day... they chased me down the street shouting obscenities and the what not. There was one dwarf that looked like peter dinklage. He tried to give me a crack for forgetting "his" money. Carried a blackthorn knob stick* every day since then and threaten to whack them if they try that shit again

Tell them you've got no cash & they'll offer to 'walk' you to the nearest cashpoint.