United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-04-2008, 12:46 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Vio, you say something about others saying someone has played bad yet continue to go on about Park.

Park was far better than Nani last night.

Nani is a talented player but like all young players he is frustrating. He's gonna be a great player in a few years if he keeps his head down, sometimes he gives off the impression he's 'made it' imo, trying to be to clever as if he is a big player already. He just needs to realise he is young and will be developed, if he does this he'll be immense.
he was one of our outlets. our main link up player between midfield and attack and the player that will be most instrumental in our counter attacks.

off course he will lose the ball. he played what 75 minutes, nearly scored and actually did try to run with the ball. off course he will be the one most likely to lose it as he is the one taking the risks.

to call him "shit" while praising someone whose primary job was to be a "disturbance" is hilarious.

Unread 30-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
he was one of our outlets. our main link up player between midfield and attack and the player that will be most instrumental in our counter attacks.

off course he will lose the ball. he played what 75 minutes, nearly scored and actually did try to run with the ball. off course he will be the one most likely to lose it as he is the one taking the risks.

to call him "shit" while praising someone whose primary job was to be a "disturbance" is hilarious.
you're a telly fan

you have no idea of how good parks movement is and the intelligence and frequency of his runs that create space for others

he was also far better than nani on the ball last night. I like nani but his decision making and losing the ball cheaply heaped pressure on us when we needed some calmness

we are talking about a single game here, and in that game nani was poor, park was good

Unread 30-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I thought he showed good intent at times and always seemed to be an outlet if need be. He's still a bit raw (a la Ronaldo when he came) and very frustrating at times. However, I honestly think he'll be £#%&!ing brilliant in a few seasons.

I didn't think that early doors but over the season he's changed my mind.

Still think another winger would be useful though. Giggs brief cameo was bloody awful. Age really looks to have caught up with him this season.
Agree with most of that. I don't see him being £#%&!ing brilliant (which is how I'd describe Ronaldo now) in a few years' time, but I do see him being plenty good enough. He is indeed raw, but that's his youth. The flick that MNIK referred to was the only thing that got me annoyed all night, but I suppose you have to put that down to inexperience, he will learn. I'd still say none of us thought he, or Anderson, would have advanced the way they have over the course of this season, so we're still winning on that front.

As for Giggs, it was shocking how far off the pace he was, but the same could be said of every substitute that appeared, including Onreeeeeee. That said, he did literally nothing right following his introduction.

Whilst discussing it with a few neutrals this morning, I realised just how entertaining a game it was, last night I was too busy gnawing at my fingernails and wringing my hands to realise.

Unread 30-04-2008, 12:55 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

He had a bad game. Me saying that is just like you moaning about Park.

Park played very well last night, I was surprised he started such a big game at home when we had to attack, but he proved me wrong. You need players like Park if you're going to play Nani who is going to give the ball away quite 'cos he'll be attacking etc, as you said.

It's a balance and it has to be right.

Park's cross to Nani was £#%&!ing brilliant.

Unread 30-04-2008, 12:56 PM
redrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
and yes he's only 19, ..
I think you'll find he's 21/22.

Lots of potential, but has been poor last 2 games. Still, offers much more threat than Giggsy right now.

Unread 30-04-2008, 12:58 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
you're a telly fan

you have no idea of how good parks movement is and the intelligence and frequency of his runs that create space for others
I'd agree with this. A lot of people who don't go don't like to hear it but at the game you notice far more with the players.

I haven't been all season due to giving my ST up and I'd definitely agree.

Unread 30-04-2008, 12:58 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
you're a telly fan

dont try that one billy honestly.
you dont know any more than me about football.
i never said park has a bad game did i? so dont look to score cheap points based on an assumption.

Quote:
he was also far better than nani on the ball last night. I like nani but his decision making and losing the ball cheaply heaped pressure on us when we needed some calmness

we are talking about a single game here, and in that game nani was poor, park was good
my point is why single out our youngest player who was asked to do something very difficult last night?
and tbh they played very different roles yesterday. nani did his job and park did his.
it was a good team performance and not a performance in which you start nit picking who played "shit" when to my knowledge no one played "shit"

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Whalefish

Talking

I think I'm no longer in a position to grade or comment on a a player's performance. I've seen some shit performances in my time and tbh they were miles worse than Nani's shift yesterday. I'd have summed it up as frustrating, some bright moments, but with plenty of potential. I couldn't say it was shit, far from it.

I need the Player Rating Guidance for the 07/08 season. I'm a bit out of touch I think.

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Fountz

Quote:
but then again i think its wrong calling a young player , playing in his first game of such magnitude ,shit,
Not if it's in response to a paper stating he was excellent..

Yeah, sure good team performance.. we're through, but using other players' performances as a benchmark Nani was indeed shit... yep, you can soften it up with young player, first game of such magnitude etc etc.. Tevez isn't that much older and as far as I'm aware, he hasn't played in a European Cup Semi before, but he put in an awesome performance.. tenacious, never gave the ball away, always looked for and usually found another red shirt to pass to..

This is not a final verdict on Nani.. I expect good things from him, but just a final judgement on his performance last night..

He was infuriatingly Shite.

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:03 PM
MUFC One Love

The thing with Nani is, he isn't the same type of player as Ronaldo, people need to realise this. He's far more direct and already has quite a lot of assists. His corners are fantastic, too. You always feel as though we might score from one especially if Vidic is playing. Since Beckham left we haven't been a threat from set pieces until the past 2 seasons really, especially this season with Nani's delivery.

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Whalefish

They struggled with his corners yesterday. Really should have capitalised on that. A few half chances, nothing more.

That said we should have had a penalty when Milito cynically took Ronaldo out from an early corner in the second half. Dirty shite @#%&!.

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:06 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
They struggled with his corners yesterday. Really should have capitalised on that. A few half chances, nothing more.

That said we should have had a penalty when Milito cynically took Ronaldo out from an early corner in the second half. Dirty shite @#%&!.
Yep. Also hacked him down outside the box out wide, didn't he?

Regarding corners, I agree about last night but without Vidic we never seem to get an attacking head on it except Ronaldo.

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:07 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Not if it's in response to a paper stating he was excellent..

Yeah, sure good team performance.. we're through, but using other players' performances as a benchmark Nani was indeed shit... yep, you can soften it up with young player, first game of such magnitude etc etc.. Tevez isn't that much older and as far as I'm aware, he hasn't played in a European Cup Semi before, but he put in an awesome performance.. tenacious, never gave the ball away, always looked for and usually found another red shirt to pass to..

This is not a final verdict on Nani.. I expect good things from him, but just a final judgement on his performance last night..

He was infuriatingly Shite.
yep tevez is only five years older , has only won..

2005 – Campeonato Brasileiro Série A (Corinthians)
2004 – Olympic gold medal (Argentina)
2004 – Pre-Olympics (Argentina)
2004 – Copa Sudamericana (Boca Juniors)
2003 – Intercontinental Cup (Boca Juniors)
2003 – Argentine Apertura (Boca Juniors)
2003 – Copa Libertadores (Boca Juniors)
2003 – South American under-20 Championship (Argentina)

and has these personal awards

2005 – Campeonato Brasileiro's Best Player by CBF (Brazilian Soccer Confederation)
2005 – Campeonato Brasileiro's Best Player (Brazilian Placar magazine)
2004 – Olimpia de Oro award for Argentine most important Sportperson of the year (Shared with Basketball player Manu Ginobili) (Clarín newspaper)
2004 – Olympic Golden Boot (8 goals in 6 matches)
2003, 2004 and 2005 – South American Player of the Year (Uruguayan newspaper El País)

Quote:
Yeah, sure good team performance.. we're through, but using other players' performances as a benchmark Nani was indeed shit...
if i said the same about scholes in for example the games the team carried him through when he was coming back from injury...wouldnt i be called a @#%&!?

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
dont try that one billy honestly.
you dont know any more than me about football.
i never said park has a bad game did i? so dont look to score cheap points based on an assumption.

my point is why single out our youngest player who was asked to do something very difficult last night?
and tbh they played very different roles yesterday. nani did his job and park did his.
it was a good team performance and not a performance in which you start nit picking who played "shit" when to my knowledge no one played "shit"
you only watched the second half

the ground gave a collective sigh of relief when he went off

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:09 PM
S/Side.Red

He did some good things. He worked reasonably hard and got into some good goalscoring positions in the box. The run towards the end was great until the final finish. Overall he looks short on confidence but he occupies defenders, which as already stated was crucial.

He looks like a player somewhat out of form but overall I think his first season has been encouraging. I was never as confident about his chances going into the season as I was about Anderson's, but I think Nani has done enough to suggest he'll be a great acquisition, long-term.

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:10 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
you only watched the second half

the ground gave a collective sigh of relief when he went off
the same crowd that would have picked giggs to start.

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:10 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He did some good things. He worked reasonably hard and got into some good goalscoring positions in the box. The run towards the end was great until the final finish. Overall he looks short on confidence but he occupies defenders, which as already stated was crucial.

nope he was shit.

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Crumps

Quote:
yep tevez is only five years older , has only won.
Carlos Tevez - February 5, 1984 (1984-02-05) (age 24)
Nani - November 17, 1986 (1986-11-17) (age 21)

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:11 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

He looks like a player somewhat out of form but overall I think his first season has been encouraging. I was never as confident about his chances going into the season as I was about Anderson's, but I think Nani has done enough to suggest he'll be a great acquisition, long-term.
Definitely. It's proven by the way Giggs' off form hasn't effected us and how Giggs has struggled to get in the team. And people calling for Nani to start over Giggs. You could say the same about Anderson, I don't think anyone expected them to come in and challenge for starting line up positions so early.

Unread 30-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Zorg

Nani looked like what he is, a very talented young player gaining in experience.
Closed Thread