United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Zorg

Part of the reason why van Basten's is so lauded - apart from it being technically brilliant - is because it looks so beautiful. The way the ball arcs one way and then he arcs it perfectly back another. It just looks fantastic.

Unread 17-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Crumps

Always loved this goal.
[YOUTUBE]Fo2ob9N6rPM[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 20-09-2007, 03:51 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Always loved this goal.
[YOUTUBE]Fo2ob9N6rPM[/YOUTUBE]
Another great strike here but from the slightly more exotic fixture of Northwich v Droylsden this season.

http://www.northwichvics.co.uk/match...roylsde n.wmv

Unread 20-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Crumps

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Another great strike here but from the slightly more exotic fixture of Northwich v Droylsden this season.

Belter.

Unread 20-09-2007, 03:58 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy

I posted another of his goals last week... scorchio!

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...62&postcount=9

Unread 20-09-2007, 04:27 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
watching giggs run with the ball was like watching a trickle of water running down a window.

no better sight in the last 20 years.

£#%&!ing hell, that @#%&! neville p did his best to £#%&! it up for us, though. :0)
£#%&! off. that one on one ole had should have settled the game and we would have finished the season much fresher. nearly cost us the treble the #@&%!.

Unread 20-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I completely understand your points. But I think there is more than one way to look at this.

You say "It's harder to perform on the higher stage." To which I make two points that I would just like you to consider:

1) Is it not equally hard for the opponent? Doesn't that therefore somewhat mitigate how hard it is for the, in this case, protagonist? How can the 'stage' affect only one team, or one player?

2) I agree that some players can't handle the bigger stage, playing for United, in a World Cup, etc. But that is IN GENERAL and over a longer period of time, not in the split second that it takes to strike a volley or make a brilliant save. Example: Seba Veron did not, in general, perform well for United - but did he not have moments of brilliance? Could not the same be said for Tim Howard, or Bosnich, or almost any 'failed' United player?

A split-second moment of inspiration is not really 'performing,' it's reacting. And in those split seconds, nobody is thinking about the occasion. There isn't time.

Thats why I drew a distinction between Van Basten's volley, and someone having to take a penalty in the same game. Van Basten's is the better goal of course, because penalties are not technically demanding. But the penalty taker WOULD feel the weight of the occasion - he'd have the time to think of it, would know that he was expected to score, and would know the consequences of missing. The same could be said of a keeper going to claim a cross, or a defender dealing with a tricky winger on a long run. But not an instantaneous volley from a difficult angle. Where's the pressure in that? Nobody would have given it a second thought if it hadn't come off. Dasayev would have taken his goalkick, and it would be forgotten forever. If there are no consequences, there's no real pressure.

Don't get me wrong, Van Basten's IS a brilliant goal. I just think Mullery's is better. It's certainly far rarer, as I've never seen another one like it, whereas there are similar goals to Van Basten's scored all over the world. There's got to be a reason for that.
van Basten in a major final with the Dutch team's record? They'd have been shitting themselves from the second they won their semi final until the ref blew for the end of the tournament. Pressure is all they'd have felt. Mullery in a league game is distinctly £#%&! all in comparison, as magnificent a strike as it is of course.

Unread 20-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Qwertyuiop

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
[youtube]ltEaUSTiIZQ[/youtube]
I wouldnt say ever but its not bad.http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007210760,00.html
[youtube]gn2dd7Cmod4[/youtube]

Unread 20-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Crumps

Is it a cross is it a shot?
[YOUTUBE]KNs4w2k6qNo[/YOUTUBE]
He scored that when I was still at school.

I feel old.

Unread 20-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Fatboy Shrek

[YOUTUBE]VeWMHFpvI68[/YOUTUBE]

One of my favourite goals ever. The technique is absurd. Check the last replay.

Unread 20-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek

Quality.

Unread 20-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
van Basten in a major final with the Dutch team's record? They'd have been shitting themselves from the second they won their semi final until the ref blew for the end of the tournament. Pressure is all they'd have felt. Mullery in a league game is distinctly £#%&! all in comparison, as magnificent a strike as it is of course.
I disagree. It doesn't matter the occassion, players don't go through games shitting themselves every second. I'd wager anything that as that cross came over, Van Basten's eyes got huge and he thought, "I'm having this. I'm £#%&!ing good, and I'll crack it." Of course there was general pressure overall, but at that split-second moment, I doubt it.

Further to that van Basten goal, I was just on FootyTube.com and watched all sorts of goals compilations. Volleys like that just aren't that rare. I still have never seen another volley like the Mullery one, anywhere, anytime.

Unread 20-09-2007, 05:49 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
I think this is the best single touch goal I've ever seen

[YOUTUBE]-9hK8b1BsKQ[/YOUTUBE]

Wow

Simply has to be.

Unread 20-09-2007, 05:58 PM
MrBishi

I still think Matt Taylor's goal against Everton is one of the very finest one touch goals I've ever seen. It was up in the air aswell. I can't believe some people called it a fluke... obviously don't remember the one he scored at Sunderland, aswell.

Unread 20-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Chorlton74

i enjoyed it anyway

Unread 20-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

considering the state of the pitch and the type of ball used in 1972 this is the best goal ever motsons voice hasn't changed much either

the celebration is class

[YOUTUBE]sFV-bnqB9HY[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 20-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst_ Bucholst
considering the state of the pitch and the type of ball used in 1972 this is the best goal ever motsons voice hasn't changed much either

the celebration is class

[YOUTUBE]sFV-bnqB9HY[/YOUTUBE]
I love the sea of parker jackets that storm the pitch.

Unread 20-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek

Nice, I love the obscene bicycle kicks - this one from Djorkaeff is different class as well, the height & hit is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I disagree. It doesn't matter the occassion, players don't go through games shitting themselves every second. I'd wager anything that as that cross came over, Van Basten's eyes got huge and he thought, "I'm having this. I'm £#%&!ing good, and I'll crack it." Of course there was general pressure overall, but at that split-second moment, I doubt it.
Not every second, but the build up, the pressure is there & when the split second comes when you've waited your entire life to score that goal for your country in a major final & to pull it off means it's clearly examined van Bastens technique at the pinnacle of the game.

You can't compare that to a league game where a player is basically allowed to go out there & play his own game & take the opportunity when it comes along.

Well, not in my opinion.

Unread 21-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Nice, I love the obscene bicycle kicks - this one from Djorkaeff is different class as well, the height & hit is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Mjf9UNcdE
[YOUTUBE]C_jznc8uMhA[/YOUTUBE]

Closed Thread