United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 21-03-2024, 03:49 PM
Kent Brockman

Is he even in the top 5 Premier League managers? Certainly behind Fergie, Wenger and Mourinho. You'd have to put Guardiola above him even if he's got an asterisk next to his achievements. Ranieri arguably accomplished more at Leicester pound for pound.

Unread 21-03-2024, 03:51 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger View Post
Lovely stuff

Liverpool fans love to talk about points accumulated, the finals they’ve made - they seem to equate nearly doing something with actually doing something.
They've always been like that. Remember how they would go all misty-eyed about their famous 2009 team, which won absolutely £#%&! all?

Unread 21-03-2024, 03:57 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Brockman View Post
Is he even in the top 5 Premier League managers? Certainly behind Fergie, Wenger and Mourinho. You'd have to put Guardiola above him even if he's got an asterisk next to his achievements. Ranieri arguably accomplished more at Leicester pound for pound.
Fergie is clear no 1 and Pep clear No 2 IMO. Wenger and Jose interchangeable. Then Klopp.

Unread 21-03-2024, 04:01 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
So does everyone think Pep is a far superior manager to Klopp? That having unlimited resources isn’t a slight advantage?

Not sure I’d put them too far apart and in many ways, I’d say Klopp manages to get more out of bang average players than Pep could ever do. Pep has had Silva and De Bruyne at their peaks - players that every other uk club would have lost if it wasn’t for the 2nd salaries.

I’d prefer to give more credit to Klopp than I ever would do those cheating @#%&!s.
pep for me is in any list of top 10 managers of all time. he has had a profound impact on how the game is played.

klopp probably would be in the top 50.

Unread 21-03-2024, 04:04 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
They've always been like that. Remember how they would go all misty-eyed about their famous 2009 team, which won absolutely £#%&! all?
Saw some montage on Twitter of their 2018/19 season, asking “is this the best side the league ever saw” - they didn’t even win the league that season 😂

Unread 21-03-2024, 04:06 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Fergie is clear no 1 and Pep clear No 2 IMO. Wenger and Jose interchangeable. Then Klopp.
I’d have Wenger above Guardiola. No doubting that he turns teams into utter machines, but he’s basically been allowed to buy literally any and every player he desires, no matter the cost.

Jose was similar at Chelsea, but he still operated in a more competitive league (imo) and at least he won the CL with Porto, which is an astonishing achievement no matter which way you look at it. Guardiola only managed to win the CL prior to last year with a Barcelona team that had Messi, Puyol, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, among others.

PL era top managers -
1) Sir Alex
2) Wenger
3) Big Sam
4) Jose
5) Guardiola

Unread 21-03-2024, 04:07 PM
Hyman_Roth

I guess. Thinking about it, lance armstrong was still an excellent cyclist at the end of the day. People should be able to see past all the cheating when assessing Pep’s managerial achievements.

Unread 21-03-2024, 04:08 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
I guess. Thinking about it, lance armstrong was an excellent cyclist at the end of the day. People should be able to see past all the cheating when assessing Pep’s managerial achievements.

Unread 21-03-2024, 04:44 PM
jem

wenger inherited graham's defence and wasn't even responsible for buying bergkamp. var would have taken their titles and the invincible tag.

mourinho can £#%&! off. even with two first teams, the cheating, shit football and histionics rule him out. he's just a toxic version of pep with no football philosophy.

fergie, van gaal, pep.... in that order.

Unread 21-03-2024, 05:05 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Tbf Mourinho won 2 champions leagues, Wenger won nowt in Europe.
Also Wenger inherited the best back four in the country at the time and probably one of the best ever in England. Struggled once they'd all retired.

Unread 21-03-2024, 08:54 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
I’d have Wenger above Guardiola. No doubting that he turns teams into utter machines, but he’s basically been allowed to buy literally any and every player he desires, no matter the cost.

Jose was similar at Chelsea, but he still operated in a more competitive league (imo) and at least he won the CL with Porto, which is an astonishing achievement no matter which way you look at it. Guardiola only managed to win the CL prior to last year with a Barcelona team that had Messi, Puyol, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, among others.

PL era top managers -
1) Sir Alex
2) Wenger
3) Big Sam
4) Jose
5) Guardiola
Wenger’s numbers are similar to Klopp in that he didn’t clean up in the way that Fergie did and that Pep is doing (*) and he had a better team ahead of him most of the time. Contrary to most, I actually really like Wenger. He was ahead of his time, but 3 titles in, what, nearly 20 years? No champions league.

City only other team apart from us to dominate an era in the last 30 years (*)

Unread 21-03-2024, 08:58 PM
Ethers

People are just being a bit daft now.

Wenger won 7 FA Cups :Bellers:
20 consecutive top four finishes
3 league titles, and would have been more if he didn’t come up against the best football manager of all time in his prime.

Unread 21-03-2024, 09:18 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers View Post

3 league titles, and would have been more if he didn’t come up against the best football manager of all time in his prime.
Wenger was a brilliant manager. Created a couple of brilliant teams, and at a time when the club was rebuilding their stadium, so didn’t have as much money to spend as he might. In terms of dynasty and club building too, he’s only second to fergie.

Mourinho won trophies at numerous clubs, fergie, Klopp and pep too. That’s maybe the only box Wenger doesn’t tick, but it’s a harsh mark against him for his loyalty.

Unread 21-03-2024, 09:26 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
he won the CL with Porto, which is an astonishing achievement no matter which way you look at it.
scholes was being played on by the entire porto team, ever looked at it that way?
also this
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...on-803451.html
but that's just a coincidence

Unread 21-03-2024, 10:09 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers View Post

That’s why I said he’s similar to Klopp in the sense that he’s always mostly been behind a better team and manager and his numbers reflect that.

If City win four leagues on the bounce and their 6th (is it?) under Pep, it’s hard to make a case for anyone else being 2nd IMO

I suppose it comes down to how you consider greatness. I think Wenger brought a whole new standard in terms of what he did and the level he made Fergie go to. That doesn’t really reflect in the numbers.

Edit: I didn’t realise he’d won 7 FA Cups

Unread 21-03-2024, 10:12 PM
Zorg

One thing that always winds up Arsenal fans if you say it, but I think is true, is that Wenger winning two Doubles was a greater achievement than the 'invincibles'.

Unread 21-03-2024, 10:24 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
One thing that always winds up Arsenal fans if you say it, but I think is true, is that Wenger winning two Doubles was a greater achievement than the 'invincibles'.
tell them we lost less games in the treble season than arsenal did in their invincible season
not necessarily to wind them up but because its true

Unread 21-03-2024, 10:32 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
tell them we lost less games in the treble season than arsenal did in their invincible season
not necessarily to wind them up but because its true
can we say “fewer” please? stops them responding with an obvious one.

Unread 21-03-2024, 10:36 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
can we say “fewer” please? stops them responding with an obvious one.
can we not be a grammar nob head

Unread 21-03-2024, 10:37 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
can we not be a grammar nob head
It’s #@&%!