United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-02-2008, 04:59 PM
The Watcher

Talking So, will Sky dare to put Souness and Redknapp on the same panel tonight?

It was great fun ealier this season watching Souness make poor little Jamie look the know nothing @#%&!s he is. Even better when Ruud Guillet was on to back him up

They haven't been on together for a while now, which is a shame

Probably be stuck with clowns like Andy Gray and Charlie Nicholas

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Sloppy

Souness' sly but obvious digs are piss funny.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Souness' sly but obvious digs are piss funny.
Souness/Redknapp is a funny one, I cant stand Redknapp either but consider the following:

Souness would surely have brought Redknapp into things at Liverpool? As in im sure he would have been the manager that broke him into the first team squad.

Now could you imagine Ferguson being like that towards Keith Gillespie on national tv or say David Healy?

Conclusion - Redknapp must be a total @#%&! - either that or Souness is....

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Mr_Ed

Usually Redknapp is the only one on the panel who hasn't actually won the trophy.

Souness often says "and when you have played at the top, top level" and clearly he's not meaning James Redknapp...

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:26 PM
ScarFace

It was Kenny #@&%! who bought Jamie, i remember Handsome Harry speaking about how Kenny #@&%! rang him up to sign him.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
It was Kenny #@&%! who bought Jamie, i remember Handsome Harry speaking about how Kenny #@&%! rang him up to sign him.
ah ok so there's no tie in between the two then...

I thought Redknapp came through youth setup so Souness would have to have known him through that.

Where did they buy him from?

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:29 PM
khmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
It was great fun ealier this season watching Souness make poor little Jamie look the know nothing @#%&!s he is. Even better when Ruud Guillet was on to back him up

They haven't been on together for a while now, which is a shame

Probably be stuck with clowns like Andy Gray and Charlie Nicholas
i £#%&!ing hate that #@&%!.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:29 PM
</forzagarza>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

Where did they buy him from?
Bournemouth I think. edit: now I know as I've looked it up

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Conclusion - Redknapp must be a total @#%&! - either that or Souness is....
Bingo. He may be a half decent pundit (no more, imo) but it's always been patently clear that he's a quite detestable bloke.

He’s another who knows £#%&! all about the European game. He’s got the nerve to sit there sniping about the Portuguese when he tried to turn Benfica into a £#%&!ing pub team.

I'm guessing we'll get Ray Wilkins tonight. Seems a very nice fella but absolutely nothing interesting going on in his head.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:33 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Souness often says "and when you have played at the top, top level" and clearly he's not meaning James Redknapp...
It's brilliant

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:42 PM
S/Side.Red

The only time they seem to evoke on Redknapp's past experience is when they're talking about injuries. It's quite embarrassing.

Sky's coverage of the Champions League is great other than that. Can you imagine how much better it'd be if they actually had some continental journalists on the panel who could actually tell you something outside the blindingly obvious.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Sparky***

Ruud Gullit is the only one on that panel who i'd give the time of day to. the man is spot on.

If they could get slaven bilic on it, it would be great. Mind you, keys wouldn't want him back on after he dismissed his stupid questions when he was last on sky.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:47 PM
puressence

souness is by far and away the best tv pundit on tv ...

souness should be our next manager ..fact

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:47 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Sky's coverage of the Champions League is great other than that. Can you imagine how much better it'd be if they actually had some continental journalists on the panel who could actually tell you something outside the blindingly obvious.
Do you watch Extra Time on (of all things!) Real Madrid TV. It's very, very good - cover Madrid, La Liga and the Champions League. Usually have a bunch of writers from the main European sporting press (including our own Sid Lowe). It's very good - easily the best football show of its type.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:50 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899
If they could get slaven bilic on it, it would be great. Mind you, keys wouldn't want him back on after he dismissed his stupid questions when he was last on sky.
"You're blaming the umbrella?"

Agreed, Gullit is excellent. He and Souness always mention playing the "United Way" in games involving us. Espcially when we were serving up shit in Europe, both (especially Ruud) would say that it's not the way Manchester United should play. A nice touch.

Gullit also praised Anderson for making Gerrard look a @#%&! at Anfield - something the rest of the @#%&!s just wouldn't accept

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899
Ruud Gullit is the only one on that panel who i'd give the time of day to. the man is spot on.
But again the problem is they think that because he's foreign he's some kind of oracle for everything about continental football. I remember earlier on in the season Keys said "So Ruud, tell us just what is going on at Valencia?" Gullit responded "Er, I don't know" Gullit never played in Spain; he never managed in Spain; he's never really been associated with Spanish football. But in Sky's head 'continentals' are all one in the same.

For tomorrow's game, they should have a French journalist like that Xavier Rivoire to look at things from a Lyon/French perspective, then a couple of interesting players/journalists with good knowledge of the European game. Instead it'll be Wilkins, Hoddle and Redknapp talking utter shite for the best part of an hour.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Do you watch Extra Time on (of all things!) Real Madrid TV. It's very, very good - cover Madrid, La Liga and the Champions League. Usually have a bunch of writers from the main European sporting press (including our own Sid Lowe). It's very good - easily the best football show of its type.
Yeah, seen it once or twice. Sid Lowe is actually very good; very un-English for a pundit. Again, would I be right in thinking it's mainly made up of journos, rather than ex-players. It's almost always a better formula for a good debate show.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:56 PM
ScarFace

Yeah Bournmouth.

I was'nt being bitchy by the way saying that, just reminded me of an interview i saw with Appy Arry telling the story of how Kenny offerd him a price over the phone.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:57 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yeah, seen it once or twice. Sid Lowe is actually very good; very un-English for a pundit. Again, would I be right in thinking it's mainly made up of journos, rather than ex-players. It's almost always a better formula for a good debate show.
Yea, all foreign journalist based in Spain, like Sid himself. He writes a good weekly La Liga piece for the Guardian too - one of the few things worth reading on that £#%&!ing rag.

Unread 19-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
souness is by far and away the best tv pundit on tv ...
Who is the best tv pundit not on tv, out of interest?
Closed Thread