United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-12-2020, 02:36 PM
utd99

Default Gary Neville

I’m liking this guy less and less as time goes by. He’s always been a “busy @#%&!” to quote Stam, but he was our busy @#%&! so it was fine. When he started out in punditry I quite liked him as he was a bit more thoughtful than the typical talking heads, but with as his confidence has grown he seems to be evolving into an arrogant, condescending @#%&! who doesn’t really offer a humble opinion (his job tbf) so much as bloviate on every aspect of society in a ‘just listen to me’ manner.

In a purely football sense his arrogance is starting to make him look a fool.

I hate to admit it, but Carragher is right. Neville is confusing projected authority with veracity and arguing two disparate points at once. The bigger point he’s missing while trying to be johnny big %@#$&!s is that it’s now clear VAR cannot possibly achieve its raison d’être. It’s utterly impossible and ruining the game in the attempt.

Unread 01-12-2020, 02:51 PM
Chris Quayd

Seems fairly reasonable on that clip other than going around the houses on offside. Will be running for office in 5 years nq.

Unread 01-12-2020, 02:52 PM
silv

proper dick head aint he

Unread 01-12-2020, 02:59 PM
ScarFace

Have you seen his twitter?

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:02 PM
Fat Al

The way he talks irritates me. Stopping. And pausing. Instead of finishing. His sentence.

Plus he's a try hard @#%&!.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:05 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Seems fairly reasonable on that clip other than going around the houses on offside. Will be running for office in 5 years nq.
I’ve long suspected he had his eye on Gordon Taylor’s job.

With regards the clip, he talks about inches without having any idea of where the inches should be and how there would still be arguments no matter where you set the bar or how fine the margins are. Technology is never going to convert a subjective decision into an objective one so the ref going to the monitor might give him a closer look but it won’t stop the arguments afterwards; we’ll just be arguing about smaller and smaller margins.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Pop

Prefer his #@&%!ed brother tbhahahahaha.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:08 PM
Whip Hubley

thought he'd died tbh when i saw the thread title

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:11 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99

With regards the clip, he talks about inches without having any idea of where the inches should be and how there would still be arguments no matter where you set the bar or how fine the margins are. Technology is never going to convert a subjective decision into an objective one so the ref going to the monitor might give him a closer look but it won’t stop the arguments afterwards; we’ll just be arguing about smaller and smaller margins.
Could see that.

He's obviously condescending but other than taking 3 minutes to explain that he'd make the feet not the arm the line on which to draw offside he made reasonable points about the screen and handball. You'll never please everyone, especially if marginal calls go against you even after review but avoiding blunders ie clear and obvious, like they do in cricket should be the benchmark as it allows for greater subjectivity. Freeze-framing potential penalties to see the slightest contact is creating as many bad decisions as good and is another step towards no contact.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Bunker Buster

The VAR conversation is boring, as is Gary / punditry....

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:13 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
thought he'd died tbh when i saw the thread title

Sorry mate.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:16 PM
tatty

I like him as a pundit; not afraid to be controversial and generally talks about football like a normal person would.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:24 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I like him as a pundit; not afraid to be controversial and generally talks about football like a normal person would.
Me too - think has has a good insight and isn't afraid to speak his mind, much better than the bland MotD mob who just state the obvious.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:25 PM
Baron

He's good at his job, I like the majority of his content but as with anyone in football, you're going to get a load of shit spouted at any minute.

Game of opinions & all that.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99

What do they call it, ‘concept creep’? The arguments will remain, the parameters just change. So, instead of just complaining about the ref, we can now complain about the ref, the tech, the official on VAR and the application of it.

There’s two very basic reasons I have never liked VAR and want it gone. Firstly, it isn’t reducing the numbers of errors or controversy. Very few decisions in football are matter of fact and their attempts to objective the subjective are causing more problems than solving. We’re more disheartened by officiating than we’ve ever been. It’s failing in the spirit of what it’s meant to do.

Secondly, it’s £#%&!ing boring!

Football is meant to be imperfect. We’ve been watching it for 100+ years with all its flaws. You can get screwed out of titles and moments of glory by a decision. That’s always been a factor and we’ve all come back for more. Since the money has gone batshit mental, there seems to be a bigger emphasis on ‘they must get these decisions right because it costs money’. No.

I really really HATE the fact that you can’t celebrate a goal because it might be disallowed. That Cavani winner had 5% chipped off it because I was worried he was offside.

If it’s between getting occasionally £#%&!ed by a decision or the death of any kind of spontaneous joy, I’ll take the former every single day of the week.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Switching Off

Top red.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Patty_b

Don't really like him as a pundit or as a commentator. But that goes for the vast majority of pundits I suppose. I think they're all try hard #@&%!s.

All pundits get muted, unless Keano is about. Then I listen.

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
True, been watching a lot of Bein lately and Keys and Gray are horrific.
They look so dated now. You look back on their commentary in the 90s and it seems so basic. Back then, they felt fresh and new from the likes of Motson and Gerald Sindstadt

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:56 PM
silv

tbh thinking about most pundits are horrifically dull.

Murphy, Shearer, Neville, Carragher...

Anyone with any charm has been sacked for being a sex pest

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:57 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
tbh thinking about most pundits are horrifically dull.

Murphy, Shearer, Neville, Carragher...

Anyone with any charm has been sacked for being a sex pest
And most of them are thick as £#%&!. Can’t hold a proper conversation.
Closed Thread