United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Fountz

Cool Remember when we used to sing YNWA ?

May surprise some of the younger Fredlings, but we did.

United Road and the Scoreboard Paddock never seemed convinced, however the Stretford certainly went for it.. right up until the late 70s, even early 80s IIRC

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Ginners

is that true?

i think we should take it back off them

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:42 PM
PaulParkers

Too young myself but my old man tells me the same and its quite well documented that we sang it first - glad we £#%&!ed it off though. Other than Graeme Le Soux's willy and bum it's the gayest thing in football.

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:43 PM
bored

Thumbs up

Quote:
Jane, 61, was a teenage opera singer when many of her footballing heroes were killed in the tragic Munich air crash in 1958. And as her own special tribute to the Busby Babes, heartbroken Jane convinced her friends from New Mills Operatic Society in Derbyshire to join her in a rousing rendition of the song at one of the games following the tragedy. The tune was written for the 1945 musical Carousel, which Jane and her friends were rehearsing at the time. The pals started the singing but soon You'll Never Walk Alone was being belted out by thousands of fans at Old Trafford. However, during the 1960s the song was adopted by Liverpool fans.
Read more at: http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...ne_is_our_song

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Sam the Sanitary Man

Yes clearly sang it in late 70s & into early 80s. When we stopped them doing the treble in 77 we chanted "Liverpool" when they ran round the pitch at the end

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:45 PM
suedeshoes

loads of clubs sung it. I read that Liverpool really adopted it when Shankly died as it was his favourite tune and was played at his funeral.

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:47 PM
stax

Too right we used to sing YNWA.

Last time I heard it was when some Liverpool fans did a collection for Hillsborough before (I think) the Coventry game in '89. I was in K but the Stretford End definitely sang it.

Honest

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:54 PM
chrispycod

remember it well and sang along also the rangers celtic chant was well odd looking back

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:55 PM
borsuk

it was a normal terrace song before the dippers cooped it, it was never specially united though

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Cream

I'm more concerned with what they've done with Banks Of The River Irwell.

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

it's a great song tbf.

Unread 29-02-2012, 03:59 PM
dragflick

Being 25, this is before my time and makes me turn the tele over/feel a bit sick whenever I hear the shit tbh

Unread 29-02-2012, 04:00 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
loads of clubs sung it. I read that Liverpool really adopted it when Shankly died as it was his favourite tune and was played at his funeral.
Hmmm, pretty sure I remember hearing it at Anfield on TV in the 1970s. Take the point it used to be sung by others, though.

Unread 29-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
it's a great song tbf.
It is to be fair. My dad, in his 70s and a former match-goer of the 40s and 50s sings it all the time. Used to piss me off until I realised United used to sing it too.

However, it's tainted. A bit like Jennifer Ellison is because you know she is scouse, or any fit girl who has been drilled by someone you really really don't like.

Unread 29-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
Too right we used to sing YNWA.

Last time I heard it was when some Liverpool fans did a collection for Hillsborough before (I think) the Coventry game in '89. I was in K but the Stretford End definitely sang it.

Honest
Can't remember who it was against myself but the Stretford End definitely did. In a staccato style:

"You'll ne ver walk a lone" etc.

Always remember one Liverpool fan with tears streaming down his face as he sang along and punched the air in time with it.

Unread 29-02-2012, 04:02 PM
stax

Late 70's the Scoreboard Paddock went through a phase of singing '£#%&!in Hell, £#%&!ing hell, £#%&!ing hell throughout the game.

Bored, would have loved it

Unread 29-02-2012, 04:38 PM
class of 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
Can't remember who it was against myself but the Stretford End definitely did. In a staccato style:

"You'll ne ver walk a lone" etc.

Always remember one Liverpool fan with tears streaming down his face as he sang along and punched the air in time with it.
correct this was done with hand claps in between every few words,
the majority of the times that we sang YNWA ,
we sang ''£#%&! off with hope in your arse''

as previously mentioned many teams sang it, and as far back as the '60's it was known as a Liverpool song, so I don't know where this, ''it was ours first comes from''. (maybe the two old dears in a crowd of 50,000 sang it after Munich, but it wasn't a terrace anthem as it became years later)

The Kop sang it when the song was in the charts, if I recall correctly the scousers used to play the top ten records from the charts just before KO. The week Gerry and the Pacemakers were number one, was probably when they really adopted as their anthem. Again, IIRC, they were on MOTD, when Kenneth Wolstenholme introduced the program from the side the pitch at anfield with the Kop singing YNWA.

as a side note, we also sang I'm forever blowing bubbles, but changed the words to ''like west ham they fade an die''

Unread 29-02-2012, 04:43 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Sanitary Man
Yes clearly sang it in late 70s & into early 80s. When we stopped them doing the treble in 77 we chanted "Liverpool" when they ran round the pitch at the end
We sang Everton in 85 after the cup final as they did the losers lap of honour

Unread 29-02-2012, 04:44 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Sanitary Man
wembley 77 ?

we werent singing that, we were offering tommy smith out for a fight*

*from behind a line of policemen

Unread 29-02-2012, 04:49 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem
I'm more concerned with what they've done with Banks Of The River Irwell.

Why, what have they done with it?
Closed Thread