United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:12 PM
wiganste

Default United's fall from grace

I don't think I've ever witnessed anything like it in terms of the jubilation it has caused amongst the press and opposing fans (and some 'Utd' fans seem to be revelling in it if we're being honest).

We haven't been a top team for 10 years now. And yet every time you go online, pick up a paper, listen to the media, it's always about United.

I don't ever recall Liverpool going through all this when they were arguably worse than what we are now
It's clear that Fergie ruined a lot of lives, isn't it? City have never been so good yet no one gives a flying £#%&! about them

Hated, adored, never ignored

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:15 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I don't think I've ever witnessed anything like it in terms of the jubilation it has caused amongst the press and opposing fans (and some 'Utd' fans seem to be revelling in it if we're being honest).

We haven't been a top team for 10 years now. And yet every time you go online, pick up a paper, listen to the media, it's always about United.

I don't ever recall Liverpool going through all this when they were arguably worse than what we are now
It's clear that Fergie ruined a lot of lives, isn't it? City have never been so good yet no one gives a flying £#%&! about them

The players couldn’t even muster a new manager bounce after having a good preseason . The moment the games became competitive they shit the bed

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:17 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

united the biggest seller of papers, online ads, tv etc. Still the case and that's what drives it all.

that said, i don't remember the scousers being in such a dire state as united now. they were average and had some seasons at 6th 7th but they weren't getting tonked 4-0 every other week for nearly half a season.

but ultimately, liverpool being shit is only a football story. united being shit/great is a story beyond the back pages.

dunk

Absolutely everything everyone else does is only relevant in comparison to us. Nobody else matters, at all.

It’s why everyone is starting to get twitchy, it’s no fun when we’re shit and getting steamrolled every week, it renders everyone else impotent and costs everyone money. United are the attraction.

If Madrid were bottom of the league nobody would watch Spanish football. Same thing. If Munich weren’t top dogs in Germany nobody would be interested.

Same reason Sky and the PL shit themselves at the prospect of is going to a Superleague. They aren’t overly arsed about the rest. United have to be in their league and in their TV rights package.

The written press is the same. No United, no stories, no sales.

silv

We’re a laughing stock currently and everybody is revelling in it

We’ll be back on top one day

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:19 PM
goonlooca

Wait 'til we get relegated

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:23 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonlooca
Then TV rights and media coverage of the Championship would increase tenfold.

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:29 PM
NedKelly

We will be back. I genuinely believe we are too big a club for this to be permanent but what a horror show it’s been.

The Glazers have leeched off us but long term had they invested in the club properly, surely they’d be making more money off us than what they currently are. I know you’ll have some people say “oh they’ve spent x amount of millions” but the bulk of that money has gone on players who bring money in off the pitch. We are now paying for that lack of foresight. Instead of spending record fees on the likes of Pogba to the detriment of the squad as a whole, we should have been investing in players who actually suit the team and can fulfil our needs.

We’ve neglected key areas of the pitch for over a decade now. I didn’t hate Valencia but there’s no way he should have been our only right back for a few years. We’ve consistently forced ourselves into playing catch up and now look how far behind we’ve fallen.

De Jong shouldn’t have been our only target for the midfield going into this summer. We should have had a list of players ready to go.

It’s disgraceful how they’ve run this club and I hope to god they go soon.

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:35 PM
Fat Al

Quote:

I was reading the HYS comments on the BBC website about the Chelsea v Spurs game.
We'd just seen a proper blood & thunder game, good goals, controversy, 96th min equaliser, managers get arsey with each other & then it all kicking off & both getting red cards.

Yet a good 25% of the comments somehow mentioned United.

Like you say, hated, adored, never ignored.

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:40 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:

At what point do you think the vermin were worse than we are now?

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:45 PM
dunk

It’s all part of the story isn’t it? Much as we think we’d be happy being permanently top of the tree, you need the bad times occasionally to create the fairytale climb back to the top.

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:51 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonlooca
The Championship clubs would be loving it if we went down, they'd be guaranteed at least two live games a season as we'd be on every week.

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:55 PM
suedeshoes

We were having a shit time when I started following, then we were the best, now we're having a shit time again. Been the biggest, most glamorous and talked about all the way through though. Manchester United innit.

I think the majority of us have had 'our time'. 1993 to 2013. Basically 20 years of being the best.

Be a bit easier to handle if now wasn't city's 'time' obv.

We'll be back.

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:57 PM
Mr_Ed

City and the Verm need us… they need a competitive team to hate.

Brentford turned us over the worst United team in 30 odd years and did a lap of honour.

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:58 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Absolutely everything everyone else does is only relevant in comparison to us. Nobody else matters, at all.

Unread 16-08-2022, 01:58 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
City and the Verm need us… they need a competitive team to hate.

Brentford turned us over the worst United team in 30 odd years and did a lap of honour.
Got to be worst in 50 years at this point surely?

Unread 16-08-2022, 02:00 PM
AK14

Dunk nails it.

It’s been funny for a lot of the media the last 10 years but the tide is turning and the penny finally dropping that a really shit United makes the game less interesting for everyone, meaning less money to be made from it. It’s why sky have tried their best to make the City v Liverpool ‘rivalry’ such a big deal, but no one really gives a £#%&! and any unbiased football fan can see that United v Arsenal and United v Chelsea eras shits all over them.

United have definitely ruined childhoods and a lot of blokes (especially Liverpool supporters) I know have acted like like giddy children over the last few years because they’ve had 30 years of growing up watching United dominate and seeing how they are now is rather sad tbh. Grown £#%&!ing men acting like some 12 year old school kid trying to play top trumps on the school yard

United will eventually be back, not like the United I knew growing up but we will back challenging and winning major trophies again.

Unread 16-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Seamus

didnt Arsenal lose their first 3 last season? Its all a circus and emotionally I have seemed to detached myself from it

Unread 16-08-2022, 02:02 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
The Championship clubs would be loving it if we went down, they'd be guaranteed at least two live games a season as we'd be on every week.
Championship with better viewing figures than the ‘EPL’ would be funny tbf

Unread 16-08-2022, 02:06 PM
Boring Dave

A lot of delusion here. We’re becoming a complete irrelevance.
Closed Thread