United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:32 PM
silv

how we ended up with Michael Owen and Obertan

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:40 PM
dunk

Owen was wiganste’s fault. Fergie never considered it until he posted that £#%&!ing thread on here, I’m convinced of it

Unread 05-06-2023, 04:09 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
how we ended up with Michael Owen and Obertan
Because the interest payments on our enormous debt were so astronomical that unless we sold Ronaldo and got £80m up front (which we did) we’d have never been able to afford them. It’s the same reason we couldn’t afford to keep Tevez in that same summer. Instead we got…

Valencia
Owen
Obertan
Mame Diouf

Tevez went to City who continued to recruit serious players and we entered the ‘no value in the market’ years. The rest is history.

Unread 05-06-2023, 04:35 PM
AK14

Batigol
Davids
Seedorf

#ClubCallReds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Clubcall: Batigol Latest!
This

He’s my favourite non United player ever.

Would loved to have seen him here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Gaitan from Benfica was a popular transfer rumour in the early 2010s. Think he played well against us once in a Champions League group stage game that Giggs scored a nice long distance goal in and from that night onwards was constantly on the verge of joining the club.
The benfica CB at the time too

Garay?

Unread 05-06-2023, 04:56 PM
andyroo

Nicolas Gaitan

Unread 05-06-2023, 04:58 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Nicolas Gaitan
Second time he’s been linked this thread

Unread 05-06-2023, 05:02 PM
dunk

Paolo do Canio
Juninho
Stan Collymore

I feel like Bale was assumed to be nailed on at several points.

Unread 05-06-2023, 08:20 PM
NinoyAquino

David Hirst

Unread 05-06-2023, 08:29 PM
magic_cantona

Remember in the days before the peoper Internet ITKs, we had the word of mouth bullshiters.

An Irish mate of mine was insisting that him and a few of his family knew Damien Duff was coming to OT. Says to me one day "it's all sorted. His family are all United fans. You do know that, don't you?" and giggled as I looked a bit puzzled.

Also had one bloke telling me United had already printed 15, 000 shirts with Shearers name on in the MegohStore "Any day now, it'll be announced".

Unread 05-06-2023, 08:57 PM
HarkNowHear

Were we not linked with Colin Todd?

Unread 05-06-2023, 08:59 PM
dunk

Duff was rumoured for ages.

Arjen Robben
Mammadou Diarra and Michael Essien - seemed nailed on we’d get one or the other, got nowt.

Cuddly Pete’s defection to Chelsea properly £#%&!ed us over.

Unread 05-06-2023, 09:03 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Arjen Robben
Mammadou Diarra and Michael Essien - seemed nailed on we’d get one or the other, got nowt.

Yeah, Diarra and Essien. Gutted we didn't get Essien. Diarra turned out to be shite tbf.

Unread 05-06-2023, 09:04 PM
andyroo

Watching Kenyon lead them up to get their losers' medals was pretty satisfying

Unread 05-06-2023, 09:40 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Arjen Robben

Robben was ours until Kenyon gave him and one of our scouts up to Chelsea, arguably Ronaldinho would have signed if that useless @#%&! hadn’t been our chief exec

Unread 05-06-2023, 09:44 PM
dunk

Bosingwa and Cuadrado were a couple of odd ones.

Thomas Mueller was one that I don’t think anyone actually thought would happen.

Unread 05-06-2023, 10:02 PM
andyroo

Unread 05-06-2023, 10:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Arjen Robben

On Paramount plus there's a series called Fever Pitch: The battle for the premier League. It pretty much talks about Abramovich crashing into English football and changing the landscape. Kenyon is one of the people talking about it and basically alludes to what you're saying there. That he jumped ship with a how-to guide in ruining every single transfer target we had. From Robben, john obi mikel, essien...it went on.

Unread 05-06-2023, 10:14 PM
BarryX

Unread 05-06-2023, 10:37 PM
AK14

Marcos Senna

We were heavily linked with him the summer we signed Carrick. I remember I was gutted we missed out on him and only got carrick that summer

Unread 05-06-2023, 10:38 PM
Lodestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Baggio FFS
Closed Thread