United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-03-2020, 11:16 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Brockman
That would be the best outcome, giving them a trophy but not the actual premier league trophy.

I'm convinced that they've been put on earth solely for our amusement
“Best Effort Award”

Unread 14-03-2020, 12:15 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger

Tbh, it’s done them a favour. They’d just started on a run which would have saw the biggest collapse in football history. The evidence is there. The Scouse can’t deny it. They got lucky.
Dont know about that. They only needed 6 points from 30, and that's only if City won every game. They were having a spell but they'd have got over the line eventually.

Anything other than actually playing the games and winning those 6 points is a victory for everybody who hates them imho. Obviously would prefer a voided season but just handing them the title will always leave the asterisk. From where we were a week ago I'd call that a win.

Unread 14-03-2020, 12:49 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Dont know about that. They only needed 6 points from 30, and that's only if City won every game. They were having a spell but they'd have got over the line eventually.

Anything other than actually playing the games and winning those 6 points is a victory for everybody who hates them imho. Obviously would prefer a voided season but just handing them the title will always leave the asterisk. From where we were a week ago I'd call that a win.
The Tainted Title (which of course, could only go to one specific club).

Unread 14-03-2020, 12:55 PM
Dr Stranger

They were going to win it in record time. They were also looking good in Europe.

To have them win 'just' the league from where they were, with the best case scenario being us picking it back up weeks later is still pretty damn hilarious.

Tainted now, no matter what. Given our recent form too, these last few weeks have been pretty damn good tbf

Unread 14-03-2020, 12:56 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
They were going to win it in record time. They were also looking good in Europe.

To have them win 'just' the league from where they were, with the best case scenario being us picking it back up weeks later is still pretty damn hilarious.

Tainted now, no matter what. Given our recent form too, these last few weeks have been pretty damn good tbf
Good point. Theyve probably already got "won it in March" shirts printed

Unread 14-03-2020, 01:08 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Good point. Theyve probably already got "won it in March" shirts printed
Had one of them trying to convince me that he 'wouldn't be arsed' if it was behind closed doors because the atmosphere would still be great in the pub

Imagine if you'd told them in January that they'll win it easily, but it will, at best, be in front of an empty stadium. They'd be devastated. Now, they're trying to pretend that a win is a win no matter what.

It really isn't

Unread 14-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
The revenue hit to United may be enough to prompt the Glazers' to sell up
Or just spend £#%&! all in the summer.

Unread 14-03-2020, 02:44 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Or just spend £#%&! all in the summer.
Yeah, maybe.

I don't know if retail interests still make up a sizeable chunk of their wealth but I can't imagine Covid would be helping them.

Unread 14-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Doesn’t matter. We’ll never know. It was a possibility. They can’t prove for certain they’d have won. As such, they can’t be declared champions. Likely champions yes, but Devon loch was the likely grand national winner, Van de velde was the likely British open winner.

Loads of examples in golf of even the greatest players throwing away huge leads. 7 shot leads with 9 to play. 2 or 3 shot leads with one to play. The very very best players in history. Snead, Palmer etc. It happens. There’s also recent precedent for city winning every game to win the league. As such, no winner can be declared before the end if victory is not 100% certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Yeah, maybe.

I don't know if retail interests still make up a sizeable chunk of their wealth but I can't imagine Covid would be helping them.
If every club is struggling with a fall in revenue they will want to spend less, there will be a fall in players’ transfer values, which may make clubs reluctant to sell the in demand players until values recover. Or they may feel financial pressure to sell.

So United may be reluctant to spend as much as they otherwise would have, but transfer fees may fall reflecting that if that adjustment is across the game, or clubs hang onto players we’d want as a result of that fall in value unless they are under subsequent financial pressure. Hard to tell how it affects the game. I don’t think it’s helpful to ole doing what he wants.

Unread 14-03-2020, 04:22 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
“You’re ill. So what?”
“My mate had that. He died.”

Unread 14-03-2020, 05:12 PM
barca99

£#%&!ing hell im bord.

Hungover to £#%&! with naff all to bet on or watch

Unread 14-03-2020, 05:35 PM
Pop

Final score on bbc has been replaced by a cookery programme hosted by this freak...

Good times.

Unread 14-03-2020, 05:42 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Final score on bbc has been replaced by a cookery programme hosted by this freak...

Good times.
Match of the Day replaced by Mrs Brown’s Boys.

Unread 14-03-2020, 05:44 PM
Switching Off

Gone the pub. Life is marginally more bearable.

Unread 14-03-2020, 06:07 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
“You’re ill. So what?”
Hi there, Dom.

Unread 14-03-2020, 06:18 PM
AK14

Unread 14-03-2020, 06:27 PM
red in cumbria

Ah yes, Karren Brady.

What a lovely person

Unread 14-03-2020, 11:38 PM
utd99

Neville’s in full combat wind up gear lately.

Unread 15-03-2020, 08:53 AM
believe

If someone could post that “weatherspoons in the summer” tweet it would be much appreciated

Unread 15-03-2020, 09:16 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
“My mate had that. He died.”
Closed Thread