United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:18 PM
les vagas

Angry Gill £#%&!s up again

Gill comfortable with tribute

David Gill has defended the decision to include AIG’s logo on the East Stand tribute to the Munich air disaster.

The image depicts the Busby Babes' final line-up in Belgrade before the tragedy and the lyrics to the Manchester United Calypso – as well as the name of the Reds' main sponsors.

This has angered some fans, but Gill pointed out that the tribute was AIG’s own idea and insisted it was a fitting way for them to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the disaster.

United’s chief executive told MUTV: “It is important to remember that in coming up with the appropriate remembrance on both 6 and 10 February, we spoke to many people.

“We spoke to our partners, the Busby family, Sir Bobby Charlton and other people and we felt this was an appropriate recognition by AIG of the tragedy in 1958.

We’re very comfortable with it. They are a main partner of ours, we work very closely with them and we think it’s a fantastic memorial for the players.”

A statement issued by the club at the weekend echoed Gill’s comments: “It is entirely appropriate that a partner as closely involved with the club as AIG would want to remember that extraordinary team, cut down in its prime.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pa...&newsid=525930
this @#%&! has no shame!!

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:26 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Why just stop at AIG? Audi, Jaffa Cakes, Budweiser, Pepsi are all spnsors of United, they should all have their names on it.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:28 PM
antonin jablonsky

They really have misjudged this one haven't they. Corporate branding of a tragedy, sickening.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Ed Sullivan

Thumbs down

Disgusting.

Worst thing is, I'm hardly shocked.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:30 PM
MUFC One Love

I despise Gill and the club. A £#%&!ing disgusting thing to do.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:31 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
Disgusting.

Worst thing is, I'm hardly shocked.
To be honest I am. Whatever your views on Gills actions concerning the Glazers, he has in general been professional and competent in his job since. this is being so badly handled it's untrue.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Bunker Buster

Its sickening, but just like the Ice rink opening early to accomadate George Best Mourners.

Nothing surprises me now with a once gracious and proper club.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by les vagas
Gill comfortable with tribute

David Gill has defended the decision to include AIG’s logo on the East Stand tribute to the Munich air disaster.

The image depicts the Busby Babes' final line-up in Belgrade before the tragedy and the lyrics to the Manchester United Calypso – as well as the name of the Reds' main sponsors.

This has angered some fans, but Gill pointed out that the tribute was AIG’s own idea and insisted it was a fitting way for them to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the disaster.

United’s chief executive told MUTV: “It is important to remember that in coming up with the appropriate remembrance on both 6 and 10 February, we spoke to many people.

“We spoke to our partners, the Busby family, Sir Bobby Charlton and other people and we felt this was an appropriate recognition by AIG of the tragedy in 1958.

We’re very comfortable with it. They are a main partner of ours, we work very closely with them and we think it’s a fantastic memorial for the players.”

A statement issued by the club at the weekend echoed Gill’s comments: “It is entirely appropriate that a partner as closely involved with the club as AIG would want to remember that extraordinary team, cut down in its prime.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pa...&newsid=525930
this @#%&! has no shame!!
What a £#%&!ing @#%&!.

And Charlton too.

"this was an appropriate recognition by AIG of the tragedy"

Why do AIG have to recognise the tragedy? Why can't they just keep the £#%&! away from it?

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
To be honest I am. Whatever your views on Gills actions concerning the Glazers, he has in general been professional and competent in his job since. this is being so badly handled it's untrue.
What has he ever done to put faith in the relationship between support and club? I suppose no chief exec/chairman has ever done anything.

It doesn't just stop at the Glazers though does it? The man has no priorities other than the shareholders. I don't care if some of you think 'well that's his job' etc. It won't change my views on him.

Disgusting, grovelling, snide £#%&!ing @#%&!.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
[SIZE="5"]
Disgusting, grovelling, snide £#%&!ing @#%&!
Your not £#%&!ing wrong.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Ed Sullivan

There's no point complaining though is there?

The usual apologists will come on here and argue that all of this is a strong part of capatalism or that these are the things that bring "superstars" like Ronaldo in to the club.

But it's just so £#%&!ing empty to me when shit like this happens. It's why I gave up my LMTB way before the Glazers were even mentioned. So in a way I don't even have a voice.

But this is isn't to take away the great work Dennis the King has done re: the kits and we should try and focus on the true meaning of the day (however cliched that sounds) even if the @#%&!s who work at Disneyland can't.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:40 PM
poppy

If Sir Bobby Charlton's ok with it should we not be ok with it, too?*

* that's a genuine question and not a statement or opinion of any sort.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Why Don?

Shareholders?

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
If Sir Bobby Charlton's ok with it should we not be ok with it, too?*

* that's a genuine question and not a statement or opinion of any sort.
Err, no. If all the families of those who died are, then maybe.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Don?
Shareholders?
As in the Glazers, and shareholders before them.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:43 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Don?
Shareholders?
I don't know?

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Zorg

It doesn't matter if Charlton thinks its ok, the Busby family thinks its ok or even the victims' families think its ok.
It's still offensive, disgusting, corporate branding of a tragedy.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
I don't know?
Owners would've been better.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:46 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
It doesn't matter if Charlton thinks its ok, the Busby family thinks its ok or even the victims' families think its ok.
It's still offensive, disgusting, corporate branding of a tragedy.
Actually you are right.

Unread 23-01-2008, 04:47 PM
poppy

Quote:
Err, no. If all the families of those who died are, then maybe.
Oh sorry, I wasn't aware they'd complained.

My apologies.
Closed Thread