United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
He's a very good player, playing with a lot of character in an absolutely dogshit side. Constantly wants the ball in every situation, provides lots of opportunities & has bagged a few, the goal he scored against us was sublime. The fact he transitions their side from defence to attack with either a pass or running with it past multiple players so often will tell you he'd be able to play in most sides in this league. The problem is where would we play him? He's predominantly played out on the left for Villa & everyone in our squad wants to play there. He'd be good an option, but he's far too good to be sat on the bench & would cost a fortune. Considering he was available for £45m a year or two ago when Spurs pulled out for the sake a few million it's looking like a poor decision from them. Shame.
That's the problem. He's a good player but he'd only add to an area where we're already pretty strong. He'd have been a great Fergie signing to come into an already strong team and push players for their place. But in this team it would be a criminal waste of funds when we're probably going to need a right winger, squad striker to replace Ighalo, defensive midfielder and potentially a goalkeeper.

Unread 03-07-2020, 12:43 PM
shenwen

Quote:
He's a very good player, playing with a lot of character in an absolutely dogshit side. Constantly wants the ball in every situation, provides lots of opportunities & has bagged a few, the goal he scored against us was sublime. The fact he transitions their side from defence to attack with either a pass or running with it past multiple players so often will tell you he'd be able to play in most sides in this league. The problem is where would we play him? He's predominantly played out on the left for Villa & everyone in our squad wants to play there. He'd be good an option, but he's far too good to be sat on the bench & would cost a fortune. Considering he was available for £45m a year or two ago when Spurs pulled out for the sake a few million it's looking like a poor decision from them. Shame.
Got to say, was watching villa a lot before the break and I rarely saw him do any of this. The odd good touch, good pass and fall to the ground , but kit sure he’s that transformational. One thing I would agree with is that he has character and never hides.

I’d like though to see how he fares in a better side and would take him as a squad player. 40m max though. None of these pre covid figures thanks

Unread 03-07-2020, 01:16 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
That's the problem. He's a good player but he'd only add to an area where we're already pretty strong. He'd have been a great Fergie signing to come into an already strong team and push players for their place. But in this team it would be a criminal waste of funds when we're probably going to need a right winger, squad striker to replace Ighalo, defensive midfielder and potentially a goalkeeper.
Exactly, we need to spend all of what we have on Sancho or Havertz for the right side of attack & then whatever we recoup from getting rid of our deadwood on a defensive midfielder who can distribute the ball forward positively. I'd love Saul Niguez, or if he's able to adapt to the English game, Sandro Tonali. The kid is tagged as the next Pirlo, that kind of deep lying playmaker who reads the game & has metronome levels of passing has been missing since Carrick left us. Would be a big risk though & something like €50m outlay.

Unread 03-07-2020, 05:37 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
Exactly, we need to spend all of what we have on Sancho or Havertz for the right side of attack & then whatever we recoup from getting rid of our deadwood on a defensive midfielder who can distribute the ball forward positively. I'd love Saul Niguez, or if he's able to adapt to the English game, Sandro Tonali. The kid is tagged as the next Pirlo, that kind of deep lying playmaker who reads the game & has metronome levels of passing has been missing since Carrick left us. Would be a big risk though & something like €50m outlay.
This and a right-winger would put us back in contention for the top trophies, IMO.

Unread 03-07-2020, 05:43 PM
armchair

Bandy legs. Does he have rickets?

Unread 03-07-2020, 06:05 PM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
This and a right-winger would put us back in contention for the top trophies, IMO.
We're still a way off from City and Liverpool, IMO.

Out current front three has extremely exciting potential, but they don't have the experience or consistency to win a title yet. Martial has one great game in 5, Rashford plays really well in patches of a season, and Greenwood is a teenager.

The midfield is starting to take shape now, but I'd like to see how the Pogba/Bruno axis can work against a really top side. Matic has also looked good during the recent slower-paced, closed-door games, but do we need a long-term replacement in that role.

We are unquestionably moving in the right direction, but I think we need another 3-4 signings that will go straight into the first XI, like how Bruno, Maguire and AWB have done, whilst taking another year for the players to build up some solid experience as a team. If we can win the FA or Europa this season, it would be the perfect platform to build a winners culture in the dressing room, which Ole has said is vital for the club.

Unread 13-11-2020, 12:41 AM
Sparky***

Get rid of pogba and get him signed.

Unread 13-11-2020, 12:55 AM
tatty

Thought he was a bit of a nothing player that wouldn't offer us anything meaningful.

Wrong.

Unread 13-11-2020, 01:11 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Would it make you happy?

Unread 13-11-2020, 01:19 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Just the first four words would do.......

Unread 13-11-2020, 01:32 AM
Cream

He’s starting to look the part. Gutted for Armers.

Unread 13-11-2020, 04:26 AM
naes_sean

Quote:
This

Unread 13-11-2020, 05:28 AM
rubbernecker

Had a dream that someone made the byline and crossed from the right and then someone attacked and got on the end of a cross

Just what we need . Another @#%&! drifting in from the left .

Unread 13-11-2020, 08:09 AM
My Name is Heath

He has immense character. Something our team is crying out for.

A midfield 3 of him, The Scottish Player and Fernandes would have been mint.

Unread 13-11-2020, 08:49 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Got to say, was watching villa a lot before the break and I rarely saw him do any of this. The odd good touch, good pass and fall to the ground , but kit sure he’s that transformational. One thing I would agree with is that he has character and never hides.

I’d like though to see how he fares in a better side and would take him as a squad player. 40m max though. None of these pre covid figures thanks
Seen him do any of it now?

Unread 13-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Dr Stranger

Never been a fan, but must confess he’s looking better and better all the time.

Still a no due to hair though.

Unread 13-11-2020, 09:48 AM
Hyman_Roth

Swap deal with Pogs? Would take it in a flash.

Unread 13-11-2020, 09:49 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Seen him do any of it now?
Not watched a villa game this season, but looks good in the highlights. How good though I don't know. Bruno/transformational level of good? Maybe not.

What's with the roll eyes anyway? I said we should sign him, but not at mad figures.

Unread 13-11-2020, 10:19 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Not watched a villa game this season, but looks good in the highlights. How good though I don't know. Bruno/transformational level of good? Maybe not.

What's with the roll eyes anyway? I said we should sign him, but not at mad figures.
Apology accepted pal

Unread 13-11-2020, 11:15 AM
Cream

Quote:
Apology accepted pal

Shenners perhaps didn’t catch MOTD when Villa beat Arsenal. He’s built up a decent partnership with Barkley, so you can only imagine how he’d get along with Rashers and co.
Closed Thread