United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Semantic Lisp

Default Bayern v Porto and the other CL game

Been looking forward to this all day

Then I find out ITV have got the other £#%&!ing tie on, the one that's as good as over. The dumb @#%&!s.

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:30 PM
S/Side.Red

Fancy Bayern to turn it around.

This suspension for yellows rule pisses me off. Porto without both full-backs tonight, who are hugely important for them.

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:33 PM
angrydimaria

porto to knock bayern on away goals rule

barcelona to smash PSG again.

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp
Been looking forward to this all day

Then I find out ITV have got the other £#%&!ing tie on, the one that's as good as over. The dumb @#%&!s.
Not got Sky, pal? Lol.

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:34 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

This suspension for yellows rule pisses me off. Porto without both full-backs tonight, who are hugely important for them.
I think its about right tbf. 1 game suspension for what could be 2 cynical fouls across games...

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydimaria
I think its about right tbf. 1 game suspension for what could be 2 cynical fouls across games...
Or two nothing fouls across games.

Semantic Lisp

Quote:

i dunno tbh, don't see what else you can do to punish repeat offenders than make them miss a game though.

a lot of yellows are down to one of the biggest improvements in the game these days, which is referees booking the professional foul - pulling players back to stop the breakaway in particular. some players abuse it (herrera at united for example) but in the main it works. don't see what else you can do to punish repeat offenders than make them miss a game though.

ZiggyStardust

Bayern's entire season on the line tonight

Go out tonight and their season has been a complete failure despite probably going on to do a league and cup double

Very unhealthy situation for Bayern and obviously German football to be in

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Vedder

Come on Porto

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
i dunno tbh, don't see what else you can do to punish repeat offenders than make them miss a game though.

a lot of yellows are down to one of the biggest improvements in the game these days, which is referees booking the professional foul - pulling players back to stop the breakaway in particular. some players abuse it (herrera at united for example) but in the main it works. don't see what else you can do to punish repeat offenders than make them miss a game though.
Yellow cards are part of the game and unavoidable, especially in positions like full-back and midfield. Making players miss games for collecting a couple across several games is %@#$&!s, imo. It doesn't make the game better; it only deprives us of a better contest.

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Bayern's entire season on the line tonight

Go out tonight and their season has been a complete failure despite probably going on to do a league and cup double

Very unhealthy situation for Bayern and obviously German football to be in
yep, the league that was being held up as a beacon for leagues across europe on so many issues is basically a £#%&!ing farce atm

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:40 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Or two nothing fouls across games.
but that's the problem with yellow card rule itself and not this suspension rule.

Quote:
Yellow cards are part of the game and unavoidable, especially in positions like full-back and midfield. Making players miss games for collecting a couple across several games is balls, imo. It doesn't make the game better; it only deprives us of a better contest.
several games? Does it restart after knock out games? In which case porto's fullbacks have collected the 2 cards over 3 games. Suspension is fair enough in this case.

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Yellow cards are part of the game and unavoidable, especially in positions like full-back and midfield. Making players miss games for collecting a couple across several games is balls, imo. It doesn't make the game better; it only deprives us of a better contest.
so? how about be much harsher in each game and don't carry them over rather than be lenient and allow this drip drip of yellows over time leading to suspensions. but you'd then be legitimising desperation fouling late in games, surely?

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydimaria
but that's the problem with yellow card rule itself and not this suspension rule.

several games? Does it restart after knock out games? In which case porto's fullbacks have collected the 2 cards over 3 games. Suspension is fair enough in this case.
Can be several games in the group phase. But even three yellows in two games. Is that really a huge problem? Yellow card is supposed to be a device within a game for the referee to control the match, that's where it should end, imo. Not unbalancing future matches.

Quote:
so? how about be much harsher in each game and don't carry them over rather than be lenient and allow this drip drip of yellows over time leading to suspensions. but you'd then be legitimising desperation fouling late in games, surely?
It's only a yellow card. I don't see why there needs to be further punishment. Especially as it detracts from the spectacle.

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
It's only a yellow card. I don't see why there needs to be further punishment. Especially as it detracts from the spectacle.
players on yellows often don't get sent off despite a second bookable though, so a yellow with no immediate consequences and no cumulative consequences is no punishment at all.

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:49 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Can be several games in the group phase. But even three yellows in two games. Is that really a huge problem? Yellow card is supposed to be a device within a game for the referee to control the match, that's where it should end, imo. Not unbalancing future matches.

for me it should. for ex : in the 90th min of a knock out tie, a player commits a cynical foul which only gets him a yellow. That noway affects the player in that match but ideally it should. Only way to avoid it is to penalize the player for the next match.

Ideally the suspension should be retrospective than automatic so that way we could avoid a suspension for 2 nothing yellow cards rather than 2 cynical fouls. But the current system is not that bad when the players up front know the rules and avoid yellow cards.

Unread 21-04-2015, 06:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
players on yellows often don't get sent off despite a second bookable though, so a yellow with no immediate consequences and no cumulative consequences is no punishment at all.
Which is fine, imo. It's a warning within a game. I don't see why it has to go any further than that.

The threat of future suspensions doesn't dissuade players from getting yellows in games. All it does is damage the spectacle.

Unread 21-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Which is fine, imo. It's a warning within a game. I don't see why it has to go any further than that.

The threat of future suspensions doesn't dissuade players from getting yellows in games. All it does is damage the spectacle.
yeah it does

they often spend the game scared to make a challenge, or get hooked to stop them getting a yellow - or even held in abeyance by the manager

maybe the sin bin for a yellow is the answer then, but there still needs to be a mechanism to stop desperation foul play in the closing stages as well, otherwise it's a free hit.

players damage the spectacle, not the punishments they get for it

Unread 21-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Pop

Reckon Bayern will score at least five goals tonight

Unread 21-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Reckon Bayern will score at least five goals tonight
without ribery and robben?
Closed Thread