Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default Re: fergie on the debt, transfers and diouf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Can't agree there.
I think the Brazilian twins have a career at United, but I'm struggling to think who else is likely to make it.
Gibson, Welbeck & co look like coming up short to be honest.
We're not the only ones though, it's getting harder & harder to bring kids through to the first team.
So you think Welbeck looks like he's coming up short? And Evans? And you've already written off the likes of macheda and Petrucci entirely?

Unbelievable tbf flabbergasted.

Unread 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
says more about you imo
Maybe ....but, my general point is - We knew Owen was finished & expected nothing. Essentially we've had nothing, but we've also had a couple of quality moments & an unforgettable goal against City.

Unread 09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
How is this the worst squad we've had in years? We've only lost Ronaldo and Tevez, its a bit mad to say without 2 players, we've suddenly got a shit squad.

We've got some fantastic youngsters coming through, some world class players and even the players we never really rated are now coming through to show their class (Fletcher).

Our poor form this season is understandable. We've lost Ronaldo and Tevez, which is bound to take some getting used to. We've had serious, serious injury problems and we've still got our goalkeeper and 3 centre backs out injured.
I agree to an extent.

Not sure about the fantastic youngsters coming through, there's some promise in the stiffs certainly.

In terms of the underperforming players will they turn it around, can they (Nani or Anderson)? We've got senior players getting older and with the exception of the right back position we're no closer to finding a player good enough to fill Scholes's boots and the same goes for Giggs. Like for like isn't out there, but we need two players with ability and application. Christ knows who but we've not found them yet.

I've been quite critical of Carrick since January of last year and there's not been much improvement since. We've got one central midfielder who has put in a lot of good performances of late and that's been Fletcher, the rest will play well every now and again but are far too inconsistant. I'm close to taking a dump and posting it to Berbatov atm. I hoped he'd be the goalscoring/creative spark that we needed but atm he looks like a very expensive attacking midfielder. I wasn't aware that's what we were buying.

Too many question marks over the current squad. Aware it's a transitional phase, 2/3 years of the same I suspect but I'm very worried about what can be bought and what the scouts are looking at if the papers and/or gossip is correct. For example is a Dzeko type striker what we need? Hardly a pacey player but if reports are correct that's who Fergie has his eye on. A player desperate for a move to AC Milan too. Then there's fat Benz or Di Maria. Is the latter really any better than Nani?

Unread 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
So you think Welbeck looks like he's coming up short? And Evans? And you've already written off the likes of macheda and Petrucci entirely?

Unbelievable tbf flabbergasted.
I wasn't including Evans because I consider him to have already 'made it' I think he's a fine player.

Welbeck needs to 'grow a pair'
Yes he's still only 19, but he's got a bit of experience now...been around the first team for a while. He's had plenty of chances but hasn't yet provided a 'Wow moment' for me. You know when a player does something & you think "Yep, he's gonna be a bit special"
He scored a couple of great goals last season (Stoke & Derby) ..& he scored a very nice goal against Wolves this season, but he goes missing too often...he gets bullied by defenders & doesn't look particularly composed.
I like him a lot & it would be fantastic if he 'made it' ..if he played countless games for the Firts team & scored goals etc.. But I'm not convinced.

Macheda's injured at the minute & I've not seen enough of him this season to really make a case either way.

The other Italian kid, I've not seen much of to be honest.

I thought King looked a player, but I think he's injured too.

Unread 09-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Welbeck looks a player to me. And Evans. And Rafael. Gibson not so much. Fabio has been held back by injury and will be a top player. And there are a fair few others set to challenge over the next year or two. No-one can say they'll make it for sure; anyone can just say they won't. Why waste time doubting them? Just go with it. People moan when they don't get a chance in the first team (eg Rossi), but then when they do they moan that they didn't cost ten million quid and they aren't bryan robson yet.

Unread 09-01-2010, 05:00 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Welbeck needs to 'grow a pair'
Let's be honest, I'm sure he's got quite a pair already.

Unread 09-01-2010, 05:04 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Di Maria. Is the latter really any better than Nani?
he's been superb for benfica at times and hasn't looked out of place for argentina in the last few games. whether he's the right player for us i don't know - could be too lightweight imo - but he's a genuine talent imo. i think nani is lacking too many things - a brain and pace being the two most important.

Unread 09-01-2010, 05:06 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Welbeck looks a player to me. And Evans. And Rafael. Gibson not so much. Fabio has been held back by injury and will be a top player. And there are a fair few others set to challenge over the next year or two. No-one can say they'll make it for sure; anyone can just say they won't. Why waste time doubting them? Just go with it. People moan when they don't get a chance in the first team (eg Rossi), but then when they do they moan that they didn't cost ten million quid and they aren't bryan robson yet.
bang on that. especially about welbeck, he's got something about him imo.

Unread 09-01-2010, 05:12 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Fair enough.

Unread 09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
do you honestly think fergie is lying?
fergie could walk away anytime he likes.
why is he still there then, if he has no money in the pot?
why would he ruin his reputation by trying to polish a turd?

i believe there is plenty of money but no-one worth signing.

seems fair enough to me.

Spot on, I believe SAF has money to spend. The difference between SAF and Benitez is there for all to see, SAF is accountable for his signings and accepts on his head be it if they don't work out, Benitez is happy for the fans to blame the owners for all his mistakes. You'll never see Benitez saying 'we have money to spend but I'm choosing not to spend it.'

Of course if we slip down the table over the next few years, SAF is in danger of losing his "best manager of all time" tag. The easy thing would have been for him to deflect the question, he didn't, I therefore think he's telling the truth.
Closed Thread