United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-09-2020, 08:56 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Who? There isn't a top 6 club that would touch him, he'd land at Everton if he was lucky. He wouldn't get £130k a week there either so why are we giving it to him? He's done nothing to justify that sort of wage.
Spurs would take him (when they sack Mou ) He’s miles better than Ben Davies, he’d get a wage in line with a first team player there.

City might be an outside shout. Zinchenko and Mendy? Deffo a better option than those 2.

Liverpool are sorted, Chelsea have spent £50m on Chilwell and Arsenal have Tierney & Maitland Niles (who Shaw is better than) so they wouldn’t be looking.

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:20 PM
puressence

Why would you buy shaw who’s guaranteed half a season watching in the stands every £#%&!ing season

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:34 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Spurs would take him (when they sack Mou ) He’s miles better than Ben Davies, he’d get a wage in line with a first team player there.

City might be an outside shout. Zinchenko and Mendy? Deffo a better option than those 2.

Liverpool are sorted, Chelsea have spent £50m on Chilwell and Arsenal have Tierney & Maitland Niles (who Shaw is better than) so they wouldn’t be looking.
Wouldn’t say Shaw was miles better than Davies tbh...

He’s average at best band we’re paying him double (Probably more) what we should be.

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:35 PM
dunk

Aren’t the wages all boosted by image rights at United? Due to all the advertising the players are used in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Wouldn’t say Shaw was miles better than Davies tbh...

He’s average at best band we’re paying him double (Probably more) what we should be.
I would. Hating Shaw is getting boring tbh.

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:38 PM
AK14

Quote:
Aren’t the wages all boosted by image rights at United? Due to all the advertising the players are used in?

I would. Hating Shaw is getting boring tbh.
Not sure it’s hating him but more that people are just stating a fact that he isn’t that good.

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:41 PM
dunk

Quote:
Not sure it’s hating him but more that people are just stating a fact that he isn’t that good.
We were clearly poorer without him.

Anyway, the point was about why the players are on such stupid wages. Explains why the club are always so reluctant to buy players.

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:43 PM
Dr Stranger

Depends what you mean by 'that good'.

How good?

A good player and the best we have? Yes.

Can we do better? Yes.

He's one of those whose stock goes up more when he isn't there.

As crap as his final ball is, we look a lot more balanced down that side with him there.

Rojo is awful and should be shot.

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:45 PM
AK14

Quote:
We were clearly poorer without him.

Anyway, the point was about why the players are on such stupid wages. Explains why the club are always so reluctant to buy players.
Probably because his replacement was a 19 yr old kid playing in his first full season

Doesn’t mean Shaw is worth the money we’re paying him or that he isn’t average.

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Probably because his replacement was a 19 yr old kid playing in his first full season

Doesn’t mean Shaw is worth the money we’re paying him or that he isn’t average.
A 19 year old who many thought/think is currently better than him.

I think those games showed he wasn't/isn't and that perhaps Shaw is perhaps isn't as bad as people make out?

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:55 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

I think those games showed he wasn't/isn't and that perhaps Shaw is perhaps isn't as bad as people make out?
Don’t confuse him.

Unread 14-09-2020, 09:59 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

A first team starter who isn't as bad as people make out, what a time to be alive.

Unread 14-09-2020, 10:12 PM
utd99

Quote:

Nor should he be expected to be at 19. He will be though if he gets a fair crack. Shaw just isn’t that good.

Unread 14-09-2020, 10:20 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Nor should he be expected to be at 19. He will be though if he gets a fair crack. Shaw just isn’t that good.
The point was more that many (myself included) thought he was better now.

I think his performances showed that Shaw's standard is higher and was (arguably) not as bad as being made out.

Ultimately, I don't think Shaw is good enough for the standard we want to get to, but as is often the case on here, it's often one extreme or the other.

Players can be ok to good, without being shit. I think Shaw is one of those.

Unread 14-09-2020, 10:23 PM
utd99

Quote:

I think his performances showed that Shaw's standard is higher and was (arguably) not as bad as being made out.

Ultimately, I don't think Shaw is good enough for the standard we want to get to, but as is often the case on here, it's often one extreme or the other.

Yeah I agree. It’s a subjective description which doesn’t really need to venture much past ‘not good enough’.

Unread 14-09-2020, 10:25 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Yeah I agree. It’s a subjective description which doesn’t really need to venture much past ‘not good enough’.
Yeah, I suppose.

Can we get back to talking about how utterly £#%&!ing useless Rojo is now?

Unread 14-09-2020, 10:25 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

So he's not good enough, he's injury prone, he's overpaid and he's got a contract that will take him through to a testimonial. Apart from that though it's all good?

Unread 14-09-2020, 10:26 PM
dunk

Well, if the Reguilon news is true, we’re about to find out how good Shaw is or isn’t.

Unread 14-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
So he's not good enough, he's injury prone, he's overpaid and he's got a contract that will take him through to a testimonial. Apart from that though it's all good?
I didnt say most of that stuff, but sure. Whatever you like.

Unread 14-09-2020, 10:29 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
I didnt say most of that stuff, but sure. Whatever you like.
Which bit do you disagree with?

Unread 14-09-2020, 10:34 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Who? There isn't a top 6 club that would touch him, he'd land at Everton if he was lucky. He wouldn't get £130k a week there either so why are we giving it to him? He's done nothing to justify that sort of wage.
It’s also a product of the stupid club strategy of letting players go into the last year of the contract whilst negotiating a new one. Means we have to match the deals they’d get if they left as a free agent.

Rojo, smalling, Jones, de gea etc wont get the wage we give them anywhere else, but they probably would get around that from another club if they let their contract run out. Same reason fellaini got such a huge renewal. It’s a stupid negotiation strategy by the club and a totally false economy to be thinking they’re saving on wages by leaving it later to renew a contract.
Closed Thread