United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-11-2006, 07:41 PM
borsuk

Default thoughts on today

probably our best performance of the season, i'd say, though the lack of any alternatives on the bench caught up with us - as it was always going to. robben or fletcher? cole or o'pie? hmm...

fergie got his tactics spot on, i thought: quick passing in the centre, width at every opportunity and high tempo pressing to win back possession. chelsea could not cope, in spite of having gone for the non-flair options in m/f (ballack, essien, lampard and makalele). carrick's performance was magnificent - time for me to roll out the jol quote again ;o)

People would say he is not a complete holding player, but I do not agree. He had so many interceptions – just about every attack started with him.

i've said it before: defensive m/f is not about thundering into tackles, but about positioning and anticipation. how many times did he break up counters or cause them to slow down the break? wonderful stuff. he has proved an inspired buy and exactly what we needed to replace keane. shame it wasn't two years earlier.

i thought rio and ronaldo were also outstanding today as well, though i expected us to try to put cashley under pressure with some high balls to ronnie. the whole of the back four was solid today - good to see heinze back on form, too (the goal notwithstanding, he had a good game).

the second half performance was really down to an inability to maintain the pressing that we imposed in the first half. saha and rooney couldn't keep it up and chelsea were able to play without pressure much higher up the field. without options on the bench it was inevitable that we would be pushed back at some point late on. i think we're really missing park, tbh: bringing him on for giggs or scholes after about 60/65 minutes would have been just the trick. still, at least the back four is solid enough these days to stand a bit of pressure.

the post-match sight was intriguing, i thought. chelsea were delighted with a point; united were clearly disappointed. of course, we were one up and they came back, but i think there was more to it. chelsea knew they had got a point against a team that - for the first half at least - they couldn't match. eleven on eleven we are the better side, and they know it.

Unread 26-11-2006, 07:46 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
probably our best performance of the season, i'd say, though the lack of any alternatives on the bench caught up with us - as it was always going to. robben or fletcher? cole or o'pie? hmm...
This is how this season is going to be remembered

Some wonderful play and performances undermined by a lack of alternative.

The season that was sacrificed to the debt

Unread 26-11-2006, 07:49 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

fergie got his tactics spot on, i thought: quick passing in the centre, width at every opportunity and high tempo pressing to win back possession. chelsea could not cope, in spite of having gone for the non-flair options in m/f (ballack, essien, lampard and makalele). carrick's performance was magnificent - time for me to roll out the jol quote again ;o)

People would say he is not a complete holding player, but I do not agree. He had so many interceptions – just about every attack started with him.

i've said it before: defensive m/f is not about thundering into tackles, but about positioning and anticipation. how many times did he break up counters or cause them to slow down the break? wonderful stuff. he has proved an inspired buy and exactly what we needed to replace keane. shame it wasn't two years earlier.

i thought rio and ronaldo were also outstanding today as well, though i expected us to try to put cashley under pressure with some high balls to ronnie. the whole of the back four was solid today - good to see heinze back on form, too (the goal notwithstanding, he had a good game).

the second half performance was really down to an inability to maintain the pressing that we imposed in the first half. saha and rooney couldn't keep it up and chelsea were able to play without pressure much higher up the field. without options on the bench it was inevitable that we would be pushed back at some point late on. i think we're really missing park, tbh: bringing him on for giggs or scholes after about 60/65 minutes would have been just the trick. still, at least the back four is solid enough these days to stand a bit of pressure.

the post-match sight was intriguing, i thought. chelsea were delighted with a point; united were clearly disappointed. of course, we were one up and they came back, but i think there was more to it. chelsea knew they had got a point against a team that - for the first half at least - they couldn't match. eleven on eleven we are the better side, and they know it.
I agree regarding Carrick but I believe it's a string he's adding to his bow, rather than his natural game. I think him, Hargreaves and Scholes will be a fantastic midfield, with Giggs flirting of the bench to play in the middle or on the left.

We need another left and right midfielder plus a striker and we have the best squad in the premiership.

Unread 26-11-2006, 07:57 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
We need another left and right midfielder plus a striker and we have the best squad in the premiership.
yup. won't get them, though.

at best, rossi and martin back; possibly a striker in and park and ole fit.

at worst, nothing.

Unread 26-11-2006, 07:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Hard to add anything to that really. Spot on.

This bench thing is something we've all seen coming. Giggs looked tired in the second half and as a result performed really badly; ultimately gifting them possession with a pathetic crossfield pass - from which they went on to score.

Saha was knackered, too. His goal apart I thought he looked jaded, especially in the second half, and may well have been subbed if we had any kind of alternative.

Can you imagine how much easier Mourinho's half time/second half substitution decisions are when he knows that United are not going to at any point bring on an attacking player.

Agree on Carrick being brilliant, and his ability to make subtle and clever interceptions was evident today. Deservedly man of the match, although it was great to see someone resembling the old Heinze back too.

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:05 PM
The Watcher

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
The season that was sacrificed to the debt
Exactly. If we'd had the money to sign the three quality players we needed, the Title would be coming back to Old Trafford

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:08 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Giggs looked tired in the second half

Saha was knackered, too. His goal apart I thought he looked jaded, especially in the second half, and may well have been subbed if we had any kind of alternative.
yeah. it's asking a lot for them to work as hard as they did in the first half when they are essentially irreplaceable players for us who have to play every game. as i said, i think we really miss park. i think even getting martin back in january would be a help.

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Tiberian

Quote:

The usual sensible analysis from Borsuk.

Carrick has suprised me, his influence has been subtle but he does alot of very intelligent stuff.

I still want him to give us more going forward, when he has space to move into do so. Hope they are working on this with him, but he is proving me wrong. i thought that he would not be able to hack it at Utd.

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:12 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
yeah. it's asking a lot for them to work as hard as they did in the first half when they are essentially irreplaceable players for us who have to play every game. as i said, i think we really miss park. i think even getting martin back in january would be a help.
It would if we aren't signing anyone. I personally am not a huge Park fan, but he'd certainly help us out right now. Don't know about Martin, but we need bodies so it makes sense to get him back.

I noticed a quote from Fergie today: "We have some ideas about January next year which will not change no matter what the results."

Here's hoping. The right players in January and we could have a great season, providing our small squad hasn't let us down too much by then.

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:16 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Exactly. If we'd had the money to sign the three quality players we needed, the Title would be coming back to Old Trafford
That is too simplistic. We have failed to sign the right players for 3 seasons easily. As I've said before, this is the season that will judge the Glazers and their aims.

We signed Rooney because he wanted to come, also Rio and Ronaldo but before, since and during we have failed. As much as I hate the Glazers and the situation, I think it's wise to wait until they shoot themselves in the foot before blaming them. A case of giving them enough rope.

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Billy Baroo

i thought we were excellent first half

why did we change to 433 at half time?

they brought on width with robben and we went narrow in the midfield, nullifying rooneys influence

we played into their hands and dropped progressively deeper

a missed opportunity i think

the lack of options from the bench is frightening

nipped down at half time to watch replays of the key incidents...how was drogba not sent off? what did wwebb see that warranted a booking but not a red?

carvalho on rooney was deliberate assault and as for the mobile phone man being given carte blanche to kick ronnie out of the game...astounding

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:23 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
That is too simplistic. We have failed to sign the right players for 3 seasons easily. As I've said before, this is the season that will judge the Glazers and their aims.

We signed Rooney because he wanted to come, also Rio and Ronaldo but before, since and during we have failed. As much as I hate the Glazers and the situation, I think it's wise to wait until they shoot themselves in the foot before blaming them. A case of giving them enough rope.
The bench today and against Celtic is more than enough rope.

This season will be the season we miss out on honours because of them and their shameless paring of the budget.

You may need time to judge them but I already have and every passing day just confirms the verdict

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:25 PM
jem

but park? come on.

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Have faith

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Fergie's Hairdryer

Quote:

what a waste of effort

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:31 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
i thought we were excellent first half

why did we change to 433 at half time?

they brought on width with robben and we went narrow in the midfield, nullifying rooneys influence

we played into their hands and dropped progressively deeper

a missed opportunity i think

the lack of options from the bench is frightening

nipped down at half time to watch replays of the key incidents...how was drogba not sent off? what did wwebb see that warranted a booking but not a red?

carvalho on rooney was deliberate assault and as for the mobile phone man being given carte blanche to kick ronnie out of the game...astounding
yup. it is a bit churlish to complain - we started out right and we did dominate the first half. they never really threatened that much - not sure I agree with sky the goal was always coming, it was a set piece with the usual cheating. they weren't that dangerous. not as dangerous as we looked playing on the break. and yet I can't help feeling a bit disappointed. we should have pushed it a bit more or done more with the chances. the one saha left because terry slid over was a great chance to follow through hard. and they came into to it because we changed the way we were playing, not because they upped their game.

borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie's Hairdryer
what a waste of effort
i'm crushed

http://www.utdforum.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=90

wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
The bench today and against Celtic is more than enough rope.

This season will be the season we miss out on honours because of them and their shameless paring of the budget.

You may need time to judge them but I already have and every passing day just confirms the verdict
You have failed to answer my question on another thread so I'll ask again. Who, on loan is going to come back and change a game? As much as Martin is liked and as much as I rate Rossi, they are as much of a gamble as Fletcher and O'Shea.

We have gotten rid of the deadwood in sales and a half hearted Ruud. The latter has fallen out with no less than three managers in little over 2 seasons!.
Yes, we havn't bought but we didn't buy right in the first place.

jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie's Hairdryer
what a waste of effort
it's all wasted effort with you, isn't it?

Unread 26-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Fergie's Hairdryer

are you borsuk ?
Closed Thread