United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-11-2006, 03:55 PM
violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
but I'm afraid the game will shape his performance, rather than his performance shaping the game.
personally i dont like players like that tbh.

Unread 26-11-2006, 03:57 PM
jem

Default ideally, tatty

but carrick is not that player and never will be. he will let the others play, but he will not be the driving force. and it is unrealistic to expect him to play like that today.

Unread 26-11-2006, 03:59 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater™
personally i dont like players like that tbh.
I tend to agree, but right now it's really a question of like him or lump him.

but don't expect him to "show he's up for it". he will play the same steady game as always. if the others are up for it, he will let them play. if they're not, he cannot do anything on his own.

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Fergie's Hairdryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
carrick to win the game for united, you are destined for disappointment. he's not that kind of player.

he lets the others play (and no, not any @#%&! could do that) and he's been the hub of our wheel. really very effective at what he does. you could be forgiven for thinking that is £#%&! all, I suppose (and part of the reason he never looked all that good at west ham and spurs is that the players around him weren't as good as scholes et al).

I still don't think our midfield has the right balance and we will get caught defensively when chelsea break quickly - carrick certainly won't be sitting there doing the makalele job.

carrick looks good when the rest of the team looks good (and vice versa, maybe). that is usually if we are not put under too much pressure in midfield by being closed down quickly. not to say carrick and scholes can't pass around anyone, but they really shine when given a bit of space.

carrick is not a bryan robson type who will haul his team back into things by his own effort and brilliance. but if we lose and carrick looks poor, it will not be his fault or the fact that he did not step up to the plate, but rather the kind of game it was not being the kind in which he can operate effectively - he needs the rest of them to create space and make themselves availiable. if he has to win the ball and fight to retain it, he'll struggle (not that he can't tackle, but it's certainly not his game). if he gets the ball and a second of time, he will know where to find people without even looking - he's very aware. but I'm afraid the game will shape his performance, rather than his performance shaping the game.
for someone who, for some reason on here and RI has a respected opinion, you don't half talk shit

from what you're saying, the team carries Carrick, and he only plays well when the team does, if that is justification for being a regular in Utd's starting 11 then any @#%&! can pull on the shirt

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:30 PM
jem

Default I didn't say

the team carries carrick. what I said is that he needs the others to play well to make his own game effective. he has been excellent recently, but then they have been his type of games. bolton were not at their pressing best and everyone else had given us space in midfield.

maye you need to read what I put again properly. I have been very impressed with the way carrick has quietly got on with his game - and not any @#%&! can do it. but he is not the type to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and turn it round if no one else is doing it. you will wait forever for his stevie gerrard moment.

if you think what I said was shit, maybe you could try countering the argument.

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Macca1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie's Hairdryer
you don't half talk shit

Sorry mate but you've no right saying other people talk shite when you say somethying along the lines of 'anybody could play in the middle the same as carrick does'

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Whalefish

It's worth noting that when Chelsea played Spurs last season Carrick was singled out as the dangerman. Jose stopped him playing his game by geting 2 midfielders to press him as soon as he got the ball. If he doesn't have options or movement around him when he receives the ball - and he didn't then - he'll struggle to have the kind of impact he can.

We need the entire team to step up a gear today, fingers crossed. Ahem.

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Macca1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
It's worth noting that when Chelsea played Spurs last season Carrick was singled out as the dangerman. Jose stopped him playing his game by geting 2 midfielders to press him as soon as he got the ball. If he doesn't have options or movement around him when he receives the ball - and he didn't then - he'll struggle to have the kind of impact he can.

That's a bit better but I neeed to hear the enthusiasm more shout it from the rooftops

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Fergie's Hairdryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the team carries carrick. what I said is that he needs the others to play well to make his own game effective. he has been excellent recently, but then they have been his type of games. bolton were not at their pressing best and everyone else had given us space in midfield.

maye you need to read what I put again properly. I have been very impressed with the way carrick has quietly got on with his game - and not any @#%&! can do it. but he is not the type to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and turn it round if no one else is doing it. you will wait forever for his stevie gerrard moment.

if you think what I said was shit, maybe you could try countering the argument.
i couldn't be arsed reading through your post tbh, but the gist of it was that Carrick is not a big game player, he follows the team rather than playing with them or leading from the front, he's good in his own quiet little way

he hasn't been instrumental in any appearance so far this season imo, and he rarely successfully completes passes, even short, simple ones never mind extravagant play-switching defence-cutting passes

i hope he makes me eat my words, i don't detest the lad, but he's got a long way to go in my eyes before i'm eating humble pie

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:37 PM
armchair

Quote:

The great thing is Scholes being short for him if he is being closed down. If those two can shift the ball quicky that leave numbers of chelsea commited in the wrong areas.

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:37 PM
jem

Quote:

apparently, that is utter shit.

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:38 PM
chorleyred

Quote:

wasn't that the game that he had that mazy run and then put it in the side netting after beating about 5 players?

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
apparently, that is utter shit.
I know. But I couldn't care less.

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
wasn't that the game that he had that mazy run and then put it in the side netting after beating about 5 players?
That was against Arsenal. He had a very good game that day. Would like to see more of that. Got a good shot from distance too.

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:41 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie's Hairdryer
i couldn't be arsed reading through your post tbh, but the gist of it was that Carrick is not a big game player, he follows the team rather than playing with them or leading from the front, he's good in his own quiet little way

he hasn't been instrumental in any appearance so far this season imo, and he rarely successfully completes passes, even short, simple ones never mind extravagant play-switching defence-cutting passes

i hope he makes me eat my words, i don't detest the lad, but he's got a long way to go in my eyes before i'm eating humble pie
maybe, if you'd ever like to reach the exalted heights of forum legend like me, whose words are respected by all you might actually bother to read what other people have posted. otherwise, you just sound like an ignorant @#%&!.

the fact that your assessment of carrick's value to the team also points to you being an ignorant @#%&! is surely no coincidence.

carrick has been instrumental in our recent form. to say he rarely completes passes is just to fly in the face of the evidence. he is the glue in the midfield. I just don't think today's game will suit him.

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:47 PM
chorleyred

people need to stop looking at the things carrick doesn't do and the things he does do. he's not roy keane, ryan giggs and paul scholes rolled into one.

his game is about doing the simple things well, which isn't as easy as it sounds. he knots the midfield quartet together by playing simple passes to allow others to do the fancy stuff. and most important his game has freed up scholes I believe

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:48 PM
jem

Default he's hasn't been average

he's been surprisingly good.

The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
The great thing is Scholes being short for him if he is being closed down. If those two can shift the ball quicky that leave numbers of chelsea commited in the wrong areas.
Spot on. If our one touch passing is up to it's recent standards, it should make chelseas pressing game redundant. If we can exploit the space chelsea leave in the wide areas, we can by-pass their midfield completely.

Rooney, Ronaldo and Giggs are the players to watch. They've the quality to grab the game by it's %@#$&!s and get us a result.

Fergie's Hairdryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
maybe, if you'd ever like to reach the exalted heights of forum legend like me, whose words are respected by all you might actually bother to read what other people have posted. otherwise, you just sound like an ignorant @#%&!.

the fact that your assessment of carrick's value to the team also points to you being an ignorant @#%&! is surely no coincidence.

carrick has been instrumental in our recent form. to say he rarely completes passes is just to fly in the face of the evidence. he is the glue in the midfield. I just don't think today's game will suit him.
forum legend ? haha, £#%&!ing hell it's the last on my list in life, you sad @#%&!

Unread 26-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Whalefish

No one rates him?

I can give you 6 who do - Fergie, Scholes, Wenger, Jol, Mourinho and El Tel.

Anyhoo, off to watch the match now.
Closed Thread