HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Thumbs up Interesting Rene article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Trafford.html

Shame he £#%&!ed off tbh.

Unread 24-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Der Kaiser

Default Rene Meulensteen Interview

Quote:
He took the training at Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferguson for five years, is one of the most enlightened thinkers in modern football who helped enhance the skills of Danny Welbeck yet did not even receive a call from the Football Association when it was looking to staff its National Football Centre or fill the England Under-21 job. Meulensteen is also just back from 16 chaotic days as manager of Anzhi Makhachkala and had been urging United to buy Willian.
The man sitting in a Wilmslow coffee bar yesterday is clearly hurt that his long association with United ended when David Moyes succeeded Ferguson. “I felt very strongly that the picture painted to us [by the club] was not the one that came out in meetings with David Moyes,’’ reflected Meulensteen. “I said to him: 'David, with all due respect, you’ve done a fantastic job in the Premier League with Everton but do you realise you’re going from a yacht to a cruise ship?’ Ferguson, the captain, had a good crew with coaches like me.
“I felt David wanted familiar faces which he is entitled to but it would have been absolutely no problem if he said: 'I definitely need Jimmy Lumsden as a sounding board but, hold on a minute, this cruise ship has been sailing successfully with this crew for the last five years so I might as well sail along with them for a season and see how it goes.’
“It saddened me leaving,’’ continued Meulensteen, 49. “I had the best job in the world there. I loved every aspect of working with those top players. I know the team inside out, the club inside out.
“I’ve given 12 years in every single department of the club, skills development coach in the academy, reserve team, technical coach for individual first-team players and then as a first-team coach. Especially the last five years have been fantastic for me. I’ve grown every day, every week, every month, every success, every defeat.

“The manager delegated to me. He trusted me. I was the one most hands-on. I visited the manager the other day, to see how he was getting on with his hip, and he reiterated how well it had worked. I hope now to get a really exciting challenge to work for somebody who has the same belief and trust in me that Sir Alex had for so many years.
“My name was mentioned with the Under-21s. I never spoke to the FA. How can they pick the right candidate if they’re not even listening to others? My mates on holiday said 'you’d be great for the Under-21s’. I said: 'Believe me, they won’t go for a foreigner.’ But I’ve been in this country for 12 years. I’ve more affinity with younger players from England than from Holland. I know Welbeck, Cleverley, Larnell Cole, Jesse Lingard. Great players.’’
He is saddened by England’s travails at many levels. “And I’ll tell you this: nothing will change.’’ More advanced and adventurous coaching is required, he believes.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Trafford.html

Unread 24-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Der Kaiser

I Didn't check to see if it had been posted already, apologies

Unread 24-08-2013, 08:48 AM
carlosartorial

I'm a bit confused. He's bitter about leaving but I'm pretty sure he was given an opportunity to stay...then he got a silly money offer from Anzi.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...d-8659384.html

Unread 24-08-2013, 08:50 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I'm a bit confused. He's bitter about leaving but I'm pretty sure I was given an opportunity to stay...then he got a silly money offer from Anzi.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...d-8659384.html
yes, it definitely smacks of the grass is greener.

Unread 24-08-2013, 08:52 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
yes, it definitely smacks of the grass is greener.
Can't find it but I'm sure Moyes has been quoted confirming as much.

Unread 24-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Der Kaiser

He got offered a job as U21 coach, of course he was going to £#%&! that off.

Unread 24-08-2013, 09:01 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser
Where have you heard/read that?

Unread 24-08-2013, 09:02 AM
rafabio

Moyes did the right thing in £#%&!ing him off. Rene couldn't stop mouthing off in that season when city won the title.

Unread 24-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Think the FA £#%&!ed him off actually.

Unread 24-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Where have you heard/read that?
I think it came from partytown on RI, read it in a few papers as well.

Edit- here's one of the papers mentioning in early July.

Quote:
Meulensteen quit Old Trafford last month after being offered a post coaching United's Under 21 development squad by new manager David Moyes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ited-exit.html

Unread 24-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Think the FA £#%&!ed him off actually.
I mean at United.

Unread 24-08-2013, 09:23 AM
MUFC One Love

He was offered a role and didn't want it, Moyes takes training. Fergie didn't so he couldn't keep the same job.

Unread 24-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Bobda

Thinks very highly of himself doesn't he.

Unread 24-08-2013, 10:07 AM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobda
Thinks very highly of himself doesn't he.

New to the Dutch are we?

Unread 24-08-2013, 10:36 AM
nasss

Wow seems like rene had all the answers for all the things that went wrong.

If only Nani hadn't been sent off eh... its like the assassination of JFK oh what could have been...

Unread 24-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Rhodzy

Shorts having a go at the club yesterday too, s2c.

Unread 24-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
I mean at United.
So do I

Unread 24-08-2013, 10:47 AM
The Return of JC

Ooh, look at me referencing defensive lines like a proper coach....

And don't play high balls up to big defenders? Oh what insight.

£#%&! off, Rene!

Lumsden reds

Unread 24-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Tiberian

He is quite critical of Fergie over the reaction to the Nani sending off.

Quote:
“But we thought, 'let Welbeck take the sting out of the game, and then bring Wayne in, then have the Red Arrows flying forward’. I was just discussing [in the second leg] with the manager that 'this is a good time now to bring Wayne on’ and then there was that stupid incident of Nani. The card was absolutely ridiculous. The manager went down to have a go at the fourth official. He knew 'this is my last season’. I was sitting there, thinking 'hold on a minute, no matter what happens, that card is there. How do we deal with it? We need to kill that width’.

“What I was trying to get across was to put one guy in to create a defensive line of five for 10 minutes to re-establish ourselves. We didn’t react properly. I couldn’t get through to him [Ferguson] to get it done. I saw Luka Modric coming on [to change the game for Real]. Mourinho reacted.
Closed Thread