Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
shouldn't take long.

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:48 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
I know some didn’t rate Carrick until he got a song but that’s a bit if a stretch. Superb from the off. Always played us out of trouble and exactly what we could do with now. Having said that, not seen much of Mount but will,try to appreciate.
Argument to be made that Carrick is the most under-rated English midfielder of all time. Superb player. Don't think there was a ton of excitement when he joined though, stepping into Keane's shirt.

Mount's a very different type of player, but he's tactically astute, retains the ball v well & gives a different option in a team where we've all bemoaned the lack of legs (contrast w/ someone like Maddison who'd be giving the ball away constantly & drive everyone mad away from home). On the downside, that is Bruno's position, which given he's the only one who's never really shown signs of slowing seems an odd place to direct so much (presumably) of the budget.

Caicedo + Mac Allister both seem more appropriate for addressing what is lacking in the centre of the field (Mount playing a bit further up) .. but there's been basically no links with either ..

Unread 25-05-2023, 11:07 AM
westcoastvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Rice is going to arsenal, sorted a long time ago apparently.....
Well if that's true, it makes getting Mason Mount even more unattractive.

Surly the club can find someone better and cheaper in Europe?

Unread 25-05-2023, 12:02 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
Argument to be made that Carrick is the most under-rated English midfielder of all time. Superb player. Don't think there was a ton of excitement when he joined though, stepping into Keane's shirt.

Mount's a very different type of player, but he's tactically astute, retains the ball v well & gives a different option in a team where we've all bemoaned the lack of legs (contrast w/ someone like Maddison who'd be giving the ball away constantly & drive everyone mad away from home). On the downside, that is Bruno's position, which given he's the only one who's never really shown signs of slowing seems an odd place to direct so much (presumably) of the budget.

Caicedo + Mac Allister both seem more appropriate for addressing what is lacking in the centre of the field (Mount playing a bit further up) .. but there's been basically no links with either ..
just get palhinha in and forget these dopes.

Unread 25-05-2023, 12:12 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Yeah can't get my head around this one.... maybe I should go check out those youtube highlights.

It's like Patty says - I can't recall him ever doing anything in a game, but his highlights (and his stats tbf) are decent. At least decent enough for a good squad addition.

But yeah, would take an additional top CM signing to get me buzzing about Mount.

Unread 25-05-2023, 12:29 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
just get palhinha in and forget these dopes.
testify

Unread 25-05-2023, 12:56 PM
goldfinger II

Of all the transfer rumours in all the world, surely this one can't be true.

The two positions (number 10 and left-side forward) he plays are fully occupied. Bruno can apparantly play every game, which I think is ridiculous, but he is always going to play the vast majority of them even if Ten Haag changes his mind on this policy.

Rashford and Garnacho have the left side sorted. Mount would only be in the way there. Sancho is better than him as well.

We need to fill other positions this window. We don't have 40 or 50 mil to be spending on positions that don't need filling. It would be surprising that we'd be spending money on anyone whilst the ownership matter still isn't settled - consider our January transfer dealings.

Why are they even selling him? Isn't he a true blue? Would've thought Pochettino would try and make a Dele Alli out of him. Similar type players.

I'm skeptical/hopeful.

Unread 25-05-2023, 12:58 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II

The two positions (number 10 and left-side forward) he plays are fully occupied. Bruno can apparantly play every game, which I think is ridiculous, but he is always going to play the vast majority of them even if Ten Haag changes his mind on this policy.

Rashford and Garnacho have the left side sorted. Mount would only be in the way there. Sancho is better than him as well.

We need to fill other positions this window. We don't have 40 or 50 mil to be spending on positions that don't need filling. It would be surprising that we'd be spending money on anyone whilst the ownership matter still isn't settled - consider our January transfer dealings.

Why are they even selling him? Isn't he a true blue? Would've thought Pochettino would try and make a Dele Alli out of him. Similar type players.

I'm skeptical/hopeful.
I think we’ll see him more in place of Eriksen. He can’t play 2 games a week and has really tired at times, even with missing the chunk of the season. I can see Mount playing alongside Bruno and providing the legs and energy that Fred would, but with better quality on the ball.

He certainly wouldn’t be my choice but in trying to make sense of it, that’s all I can think it’ll be.

Unread 25-05-2023, 01:11 PM
History

Quote:

He's a centre mid by trade. Basically he would replace Eriksen in the side. For how very underwhelming of a signing he'll seem. He has about 10x the engine of Eriksen, who has about 45 minutes in the tank before he vanishes.

Unread 25-05-2023, 01:14 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Sancho is better than him as well.
Steady on.

Mount is an upgrade on Eriksen, Fred, van de Beek. I love Eriksen but he gets knackered warming up. Mount's a very good player.

Unread 25-05-2023, 01:15 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen

Big call that mate and I thats coming from from a big admirer. Don’t recall him much at west ham but started to take notice once we’d been linked with him at spurs. His one touch stuff when pressed around his penalty area was different class, so was ecstatic when we signed him. Obvs, didn’t have Scholes attacking instincts but always knew where he was putting the ball before he received it. Instantly relieved the defence of pressure. Will pay attention to Mount tonight but probs a loads of bullshit anyway.

Unread 25-05-2023, 01:43 PM
tatty

Stinks of a team Ratcliffe/Glazer signing.

Unread 25-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

A Waitrose Jesse Lingard without the dancing.

Hard pass from me.

Unread 25-05-2023, 01:46 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Stinks of a team Ratcliffe/Glazer signing.
Sheik Jassim when he heard about it

humane society bend oregon

Unread 25-05-2023, 01:48 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Sheik Jassim when he heard about it

humane society bend oregon

My old drill instructor would be pleased with those creases.

Unread 25-05-2023, 01:57 PM
jem

I bet fred looks good in his highlights reel, but we know different.

Unread 25-05-2023, 02:08 PM
est.1878

There's a thread I Remember where the idea of signing mane from Southampton was level 5 ridiculed. Granted we had just been burnt with sniderlein, but still...

Unread 25-05-2023, 02:11 PM
Mr Kaboom

Quote:

I'm skeptical/hopeful.
Chelsea desperately need to sell to comply with FFP. Offer them £40 mill, take it or leave it.

We'll probably end up with Loftus Cheek

Unread 25-05-2023, 02:18 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
There's a thread I Remember where the idea of signing mane from Southampton was level 5 ridiculed. Granted we had just been burnt with sniderlein, but still...
I was among the ridiculers. That’s why I’m hedging my bets with this one. As Dr says, he’s a good rotation option for Eriksen. Think that’s where he’ll play. And he’s certainly better than sancho ffs.

Are Chelsea fans even bothered that he’s leaving?

Unread 25-05-2023, 03:57 PM
Whip Hubley

Feel like i'm getting convinced by esters and the 'he can do a job crew' and I don't like it...