United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 17-02-2023, 01:41 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
gotta love the good old bbc sports page. Two of europe's juggernaut clubs duking it out infront of 90,000 in a thrilling game... not even merited a headline.

instead it's all about the lionesses playing in some poxy cup or other that nobody gives a flying £#%&! about
BBC news tonight went big on the latter as well.

Unread 17-02-2023, 01:55 AM
Switching Off

These lads

Unread 17-02-2023, 03:30 AM
shenwen

That team compared to the last few seasons. Would have our pants pulled down. Never felt we wouldn't get a result against that lot. Can only imagine how good we'd be with a proper striker instead of Weghorse. The difference Casemiro makes. A giant of a midfielder.

Maybe Barca should have played De Jong

Unread 17-02-2023, 08:39 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
That team compared to the last few seasons. Would have our pants pulled down. Never felt we wouldn't get a result against that lot. Can only imagine how good we'd be with a proper striker instead of Weghorse. The difference Casemiro makes. A giant of a midfielder.

Every time I seem to watch De Jong, he does absolutely nothing

Unread 17-02-2023, 09:34 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

Completely anonymous. Couldn’t get over how shit they were at the back either given their defensive record.

Honestly think they’d finish below spurs if they played in the prem.

Unread 17-02-2023, 09:50 AM
jem

wow. dunk slating de gea (neither goal his fault), bunks trying to make out malacia is a player (not so far), shit ref and giddiness about getting a draw.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:01 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
wow. dunk slating de gea (neither goal his fault), bunks trying to make out malacia is a player (not so far), shit ref and giddiness about getting a draw.
People are giddy about the progress and trajectory.

We’ve had a decade of being beaten by teams like midgetland ffs. Of course outplaying Barca and deserving a win at the nou camp is going to get the blood pumping.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:02 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
He wasn’t directly at fault for either goal, he is directly at fault for every ball into the box causing mayhem and his inability to kick it. Hth.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:17 AM
Ethers

Scholes noted that De Gea seemed scared of colliding with the post for the first goal. If he’d thrown himself at it, probably stops that. Fanny.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:20 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He wasn’t directly at fault for either goal, he is directly at fault for every ball into the box causing mayhem and his inability to kick it. Hth.
So you’re blaming him for being at fault for anything

Weird feeling today because it was a great night all in all but can’t help but feel disappointed that we didn’t win. This next week is such a big week for us and probably the most important in the last ten years. Best Leicester and we’re in serious contention for the league, go through to the next round in the Europa having beaten Barca and a trophy in the bag. Or the complete opposite

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:23 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Tbf he came out and tried punching two corners most I’ve ever seen de gea do regarding his command of area

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Weird feeling today because it was a great night all in all but can’t help but feel disappointed that we didn’t win. This next week is such a big week for us and probably the most important in the last ten years. Best Leicester and we’re in serious contention for the league, go through to the next round in the Europa having beaten Barca and a trophy in the bag. Or the complete opposite
Before the game I’d have taken a draw. Took a look and Barca are top of la liga and only conceded something like 9 goals in 21 games. They also have Lewandowski etc .

I think first half our defence with the ball wasn’t great, missed Martinez , our attack was decent but nothing sustained. Had a couple chances we should have put away.

Second half we improved vastly, two errors led to conceding goals but we made many more chances and probably should have put another two away.
Our team is good going on great. Patterns of play are there. We should be beating this Barca team , even when they don’t have pedri and gavi in the return leg. If we don’t now, it’s due to our own downfall as we are the better team.

Hopefully having Martinez and Sabitzer back it should be straight forward.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:24 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

de gea is absolutely £#%&!ing shite at everything except shot stopping.

everything

giddiness about getting a draw

go to bed Jem.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:24 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Scholes noted that De Gea seemed scared of colliding with the post for the first goal. If he’d thrown himself at it, probably stops that. Fanny.
He also does absolutely nothing on the second. Doesn’t matter if they get a touch or don’t, unless it just hits him he’s utterly inconsequential. He’s not anticipating anything. Harsh, maybe, but true.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:25 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
He also does absolutely nothing on the second. Doesn’t matter if they get a touch or don’t, unless it just hits him he’s utterly inconsequential. He’s not anticipating anything. Harsh, maybe, but true.
can't blame him for the 2nd really, but his distribution is a consistent reason we're put under pressure at the back. it's disgustingly bad for someone who's probably been using a football since they were 5 years old. it's like he's kicking a octagonal object.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:26 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

No, I’m saying his very presence cause unrest in our back 4 and is a tool for every opposition team because they know he’s terrified of everything and the defence has to spend half the time worrying about him and the areas he should be dominating as well as the opposition. We also can’t get out because he can barley hit the halfway line with a kick, or a United player for that matter.

Him getting stuck in no man’s land and nearly getting lobbed by a header too

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:29 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth

We’ve had a decade of being beaten by teams like midgetland ffs. Of course outplaying Barca and deserving a win at the nou camp is going to get the blood pumping.
Worth noting a Barcelona top of la liga too. With Lewandowski, de jong, and the new Xavi and iniesta (apparently)

Quote:
No, I’m saying his very presence cause unrest in our back 4 and is a tool for every opposition team because they know he’s terrified of everything and the defence has to spend half the time worrying about him and the areas he should be dominating as well as the opposition. We also can’t get out because he can barley hit the halfway line with a kick, or a United player for that matter.

Him getting stuck in no man’s land and nearly getting lobbed by a header too
I do think we need a new GK but there’s rumours of him signing a new deal. Cant imagine him signing a 150-200k a week contract to sit on the bench so you’re going to have to get used to it. He’s a very good shot stopper and whilst I’d want his distribution to be much better, maybe if we sign a RB that’s good on the ball and another CM we won’t have to rely on his distribution so much?

If it was up to me I would bin him , however if the keep him and make improvements ahead of him, we might just be ok.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:30 AM
dunk

Anyone mentioned Gavi is out of the second leg?

Busquest, Dembele, Pedri and Gavi all likely to be missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Worth noting a Barcelona top of la liga too. With Lewandowski, de jong, and the new Xavi and iniesta (apparently)

I do think we need a new GK but there’s rumours of him signing a new deal. Cant imagine him signing a 150-200k a week contract to sit on the bench so you’re going to have to get used to it. He’s a very good shot stopper and whilst I’d want his distribution to be much better, maybe if we sign a RB that’s good on the ball and another CM we won’t have to rely on his distribution so much?

If it was up to me I would bin him , however if the keep him and make improvements ahead of him, we might just be ok.
Just need to hope we get new owners before he signs anything imo.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:33 AM
believe

“Nearly got lobbed” he didn’t had he stuck on his line like he’s constantly criticized for Raphinha could have controlled it and scored easily. He didn’t because de Gea did what he did.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:36 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
what I mean is this kind of shit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Hopefully having Martinez and Sabitzer back it should be straight forward.
more likely we played well and should have won, but they will cheese their way to a sucker punch.

and leicester will beat us. we are not in the title race.

Unread 17-02-2023, 10:36 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Anyone mentioned Gavi is out of the second leg?

Busquest, Dembele, Pedri and Gavi all likely to be missing.

Just need to hope we get new owners before he signs anything imo.
He’s the best shot stopper in the world. We could very easily get someone who has decent distribution but is a poor shot stopper. We end up being back at square one wrt the impact the GK has on our game.

If they can find a GK similar to his quality and is comfortable on the ball we should go for it. I wonder who realistically is out there. I know that raya at Brighton is mentioned but playing for Man Utd is a different kettle of fish. ESP as a GK.

So many players leave these two bit teams and can’t replicate their form. It will be a gamble.

All the top GKs are all at big teams. Maybe unai Simon, Maigan from Milan is decent on football manager or sommer but again it’s a big gamble.

Diego Costa I was all for until I saw him make a mistake in every WC game he played in. The scrutiny would kill him here at United and he probably needs a bit more experience before joining

With the GK we can’t take a big gamble because then we are stuck with them. With another position on the pitch you can drop them give them time off .

I wouldn’t be against signing a young GK and keeping de gea for a season or two. Sort of similar to how we signed de gea at 19 but had a decent back up who played half a dozen or so games