United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:06 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default Quadrophenia reckons United have upped their bid for him, tempted by a move.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...&TEAMHD=soccer

Sampdoria striker Fabio Quagliarella has revealed he could be tempted by a move to Manchester United this summer.

United reportedly made a £10million offer last month to sign the Italy international and, according to Quagliarella, the Red Devils have now increased that amount in the hope of winning the race against top Serie A clubs who are also keen to acquire his services.

When asked about United's offer, Quagliarella told Gazzetta dello Sport: "It seems a serious offer, they have raised it and it is an important figure.

"Manchester United are a big deal and if it ended up going that way, I would gladly join the Premier League.

"It is a fascinating and beautiful competition."

Quagliarella joined Samp last summer from Ascoli, although his sporting rights are co-owned by both the Genoa outfit and Udinese.

The 23-year-old made 35 league appearances for Sampdoria last season, scoring 13 goals, and his performances earned him a call-up to the national team, where earlier this month he scored his first two Azzurri goals during Italy's 2-0 Euro 2008 qualifying win against Lithuania.

Samp have confirmed only an "extraordinary offer" would see Quagliarella, who is under contract until 2010, leave the club this summer.

Quagliarella insists his first choice would be to remain in Serie A and keep his place in the national team.

"I am really happy at Sampdoria," added the striker.

"I would prefer to remain in Italy, having continuity and having the trust of (national team coach Roberto) Donadoni."

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:14 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
http://www.sportinglife.com/football...&TEAMHD=soccer

Sampdoria striker Fabio Quagliarella has revealed he could be tempted by a move to Manchester United this summer.

United reportedly made a £10million offer last month to sign the Italy international and, according to Quagliarella, the Red Devils have now increased that amount in the hope of winning the race against top Serie A clubs who are also keen to acquire his services.

When asked about United's offer, Quagliarella told Gazzetta dello Sport: "It seems a serious offer, they have raised it and it is an important figure.

"Manchester United are a big deal and if it ended up going that way, I would gladly join the Premier League.

"It is a fascinating and beautiful competition."

Quagliarella joined Samp last summer from Ascoli, although his sporting rights are co-owned by both the Genoa outfit and Udinese.

The 23-year-old made 35 league appearances for Sampdoria last season, scoring 13 goals, and his performances earned him a call-up to the national team, where earlier this month he scored his first two Azzurri goals during Italy's 2-0 Euro 2008 qualifying win against Lithuania.

Samp have confirmed only an "extraordinary offer" would see Quagliarella, who is under contract until 2010, leave the club this summer.

Quagliarella insists his first choice would be to remain in Serie A and keep his place in the national team.

"I am really happy at Sampdoria," added the striker.

"I would prefer to remain in Italy, having continuity and having the trust of (national team coach Roberto) Donadoni."
The lad is really really good but he is not a prolific goalscorer, he scores great goals but not in bucket loads. I don't know how he would fit in with United but at 10 million when people are talking about 25 for torres, 30 for Tevez and 35 for eto'o he would represent very good value for money.
the problem is Manchester United already have a young Italian who has wowed everyone in The Italian league this season so why buy another?

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:19 AM
utd for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
The lad is really really good but he is not a prolific goalscorer, he scores great goals but not in bucket loads. I don't know how he would fit in with United but at 10 million when people are talking about 25 for torres, 30 for Tevez and 35 for eto'o he would represent very good value for money.
the problem is Manchester United already have a young Italian who has wowed everyone in The Italian league this season so why buy another?
The lad is understudy is saha,where rossi is like rooney

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:21 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd for ever
The lad is understudy is saha,where rossi is like rooney
Saha is lightening fast and with a good eye for goal who scores a lot and doesn't often have a dig from distance. This lad is not as fast as Saha, scores good goals from distance and drops deep. He is no substitute for Saha at all if anything he is more rooneyesque also.

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:23 AM
utd82

It sounds quite like he's really hoping a big italian club come in for him. If clubs like Milan and Juve, who are desperate for strikers, aren't interested then it makes me wonder about this lad's quality.

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Whalefish

Juve are apparently closing in on Vincenzo Iquanita but I had also heard they were interested in Huntelaar who had expressed an interest in Italian football.

Inter won't buy him and AC have said they have 1 or 2 targets but will be happy to go into the new season with no new arrivals. I think they'll push the boat out for one of the Barca forwards though, Goofy or Eto'o.

I'd have no complaints if this lad arrived but I suspect that would mean Saha is staying. He'll have to buck his ideas up though, perhaps Fergie has had a word?

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:31 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Juve are apparently closing in on Vincenzo Iquanita but I had also heard they were interested in Huntelaar who had expressed an interest in Italian football.

Inter won't buy him and AC have said they have 1 or 2 targets but will be happy to go into the new season with no new arrivals. I think they'll push the boat out for one of the Barca forwards though, Goofy or Eto'o.

I'd have no complaints if this lad arrived but I suspect that would mean Saha is staying. He'll have to buck his ideas up though, perhaps Fergie has had a word?
Saha's gonna have to stay you can't sell one legged footballers. Ask David Busst.

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Whalefish

We have not treated him very well re his injuries though. Played him when he's not been fit, not diagnosed his injuries or correctly so it is partly Utd's fault. Didn't like his response to Henrik arriving though and his attitude when he left but if he sorts himself out during the Summer and gets his head back down he's worth keeping. There aren't many strikers better suited to Utd's system IMO.

Such a pity I'm more reliable one on one with the keeper though.

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:38 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
We have not treated him very well re his injuries though. Played him when he's not been fit, not diagnosed his injuries or correctly so it is partly Utd's fault. Didn't like his response to Henrik arriving though and his attitude when he left but if he sorts himself out during the Summer and gets his head back down he's worth keeping. There aren't many strikers better suited to Utd's system IMO.

Such a pity I'm more reliable one on one with the keeper though.
I'm a big fan of Saha asa player, he does test the patience though. As to his injuries, France have been more a problem than us, must be 4 times at least he's got injured o France trips.

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:49 AM
celtbion

Yerra, ship out Smith, might as well keep Saha unless someone's foolish enough to risk him.

A decent, physical striker up front and this squad is complete, so long as we keep Rossi. Different sort of player. An Ole crossed with a Scholes, not a bad combination. I think if he's around the squad this season, he'll force himself into the position of being one of the first names on the team sheet.

One thing's for certain, if Quagliarella comes in, that means there's going to have to be a few departures.

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:52 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
Yerra, ship out Smith, might as well keep Saha unless someone's foolish enough to risk him.

A decent, physical striker up front and this squad is complete, so long as we keep Rossi. Different sort of player. An Ole crossed with a Scholes, not a bad combination. I think if he's around the squad this season, he'll force himself into the position of being one of the first names on the team sheet.

One thing's for certain, if Quagliarella comes in, that means there's going to have to be a few departures.
I'm with you my celtic cuz.

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:55 AM
24hr Leavesey

With Athletico finishing outside of the european places, I reckon Torres could be picked up for around £15m - surely a better option than another deep lying striker.

Unread 19-06-2007, 10:57 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
With Athletico finishing outside of the european places, I reckon Torres could be picked up for around £15m - surely a better option than another deep lying striker.
Torres seems to be suggesting he's staying at Atletico. I've not seen Quadrophenia, is he definitely an off-striker? Could he not move further forward? How tall, quick and strong is he?

Unread 19-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Whalefish

We need Peter Crouch, Adriano or James Beattie. Proper target men.

Unread 19-06-2007, 11:01 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
We need Peter Crouch, Adriano or James Beattie. Proper target men.
I'm booing you.

Unread 19-06-2007, 11:04 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Torres seems to be suggesting he's staying at Atletico. I've not seen Quadrophenia, is he definitely an off-striker? Could he not move further forward? How tall, quick and strong is he?
I haven't heard Torres comments re staying - what a plank if true.

I've seen next to nothing of the lad, so I couldn't hazard a guess whether he would make a striker or not, but seeing as we were interested in the likes of Tevez and Saviola previously, it could be said he isn't even after a traditional frontman at all.

Unread 19-06-2007, 11:05 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Ya but the guide here is the role Berbatov plays for Spurs and what Larsson did for us during his stint. We're surely looking to get someone similar in this summer.

Berbatov has a good goal scoring record but a nice haul of assists too. His movement and vision create opportunities for the players around him. Larsson didn't get so many goals but you could see the spark about him, he brought more out of Rooney and Ronaldo when he played.

That's all we're looking for. Now, Rossi, I reckon, has that ability in his boots too and the movement. He might be the guy. He lacks the physique though and maybe Quagliarella might be a bit better in that regard. A different sort of option.

My own take on things is that we'll be playing 4-2-3-1 and that Scholes won't be as much of a feature, if not this year, then certainly the year after. We will miss Scholes' creativity from that attacking midfielder role. Now, Rooney's not bad at that but possibly doesn't have quite that genius from deep. Rossi possibly does. I know there's a long standing theory that Rossi could be the Scholes replacement. Well, I'd go along with that but not as a central midfielder. Same role, the No. 10, but starting point a bit further up the park.

Unread 19-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Baron

Quote:
He's the same height as Saha, 5' 11". Torres is 6' 1" although Saha has a big £#%&! off leap on him & is a powerful £#%&!er as well. Suspect it'd take Quagmire a season to get up to speed a la Evra, Vidic etc recently but his mobility isn't dissimilar to Saha's - no idea about his mentality for all that mind.

Unread 19-06-2007, 11:09 AM
dodger

I've never seen this lad but I assumed we were in the market for a Saha replacement and from what I hear he isn't that.
Whether Saha stays or goes seems immaterial as he is unlikely to play whatever happens. A pacy finisher would complete the team for me. That's not to say this lad wouldn't improve the squad and be cover for Rooney, I just think we would be top heavy with the wrong type of striker.

Unread 19-06-2007, 11:11 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
Ya but the guide here is the role Berbatov plays for Spurs and what Larsson did for us during his stint. We're surely looking to get someone similar in this summer.

Berbatov has a good goal scoring record but a nice haul of assists too. His movement and vision create opportunities for the players around him. Larsson didn't get so many goals but you could see the spark about him, he brought more out of Rooney and Ronaldo when he played.

That's all we're looking for. Now, Rossi, I reckon, has that ability in his boots too and the movement. He might be the guy. He lacks the physique though and maybe Quagliarella might be a bit better in that regard. A different sort of option.

My own take on things is that we'll be playing 4-2-3-1 and that Scholes won't be as much of a feature, if not this year, then certainly the year after. We will miss Scholes' creativity from that attacking midfielder role. Now, Rooney's not bad at that but possibly doesn't have quite that genius from deep. Rossi possibly does. I know there's a long standing theory that Rossi could be the Scholes replacement. Well, I'd go along with that but not as a central midfielder. Same role, the No. 10, but starting point a bit further up the park.
Good post, but some of our most static football was played whilst Larsson was here
Closed Thread