United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:26 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I mean, I'm as pissed off as anybody about today tbf. We WERE shit, no hiding it.

But its almost as if certain people are just waiting for us to lose, and the infrequency with which it has happened recently if anything makes that even more obvious.
You're bang on pal, on both counts. Teams lose games and it was utter utter shite tonight, but when players play like that from back to front, then there's not much anyone else can do. We've had a tough busy period of games, and unfortunately far too many players let themselves down today and it ended in a shite result.

Its not a positive in any sense, but after tonight there can't be any doubt at the club as to who's just nowhere good enough to be getting anywhere near the team.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:26 PM
Dr Stranger

If we all agree he doesn’t deserve to be sacked on the spot, then he’ll be judged on the season as a whole just like everyone else.

We need progress. Whether that’s a trophy, league position, significant increase in points or all of the above.

We could end up with a trophy, 2nd and around 75. I think everyone would consider this a success, no?

If we bomb out the Europa, limp over the line with another 60-65 points then questions will be rightly asked.

It comes down to those margins, but that’s how it goes... but bumping this thread with bold declarations every time there’s a win or a loss proves nothing. A defeat today doesn’t mean he’s finished any more than winning at city means he’s cracked it.

Let’s see where we are at the end of the season.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
This is ridiculously negative, and its undeniable IMO that too many people have their outlooks on us distorted because city win nearly every game.

If we are shit, what does that say about EVERY SINGLE OTHER TEAM in the PL?
The PL is the worst standard I have ever seen it. Which I why I take claims of this progress that is made due to being in 2nd quite lightly. I still see lots of the same issues we have had for years.

There's plenty of truth in what Mr Ed said.

The football is often piss poor. We move the ball far too slowly. We are far too predictable. We are still struggling to break down teams - this has been an issue dating back to LVG and still hasn't been fixed. Players often don't have options when on the ball. How long into Solskjaer's reign should we be expecting to see good football played on a regular basis? In a lot of games, we are bordering on very poor to brutal for a good portion of the match.

Some of his decisions I find difficult to fathom. From team selections, to subs to how risk averse he can be.

He has a big 12 months coming up. Only having the Europa League to play for in March, isn't good enough for a club like Utd and we need to kick on considerably next season if he is to stay in the job beyond his current contract.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:29 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
If we all agree he doesn’t deserve to be sacked on the spot, then he’ll be judged on the season as a whole just like everyone else.

We need progress. Whether that’s a trophy, league position, significant increase in points or all of the above.

We could end up with a trophy, 2nd and around 75. I think everyone would consider this a success, no?

If we bomb out the Europa, limp over the line with another 60-65 points then questions will be rightly asked.

It comes down to those margins, but that’s how it goes... but bumping this thread with bold declarations every time there’s a win or a loss proves nothing. A defeat today doesn’t mean he’s finished any more than winning at city means he’s cracked it.

Let’s see where we are at the end of the season.
Tbf progress since SaF retired would be to qualify for the Cl through league positions in back to back seasons

Would be great to get a cup but I’ll take back to back Cl qualification as long as we back him in the summer window.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:31 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
The PL is the worst standard I have ever seen it. Which I why I take claims of this progress that is made due to being in 2nd quite lightly. I still see lots of the same issues we have had for years.

There's plenty of truth in what Mr Ed said.

The football is often piss poor. We move the ball far too slowly. We are far too predictable. We are still struggling to break down teams - this has been an issue dating back to LVG and still hasn't been fixed. Players often don't have options when on the ball. How long into Solskjaer's reign should we be expecting to see good football played on a regular basis? In a lot of games, we are bordering on very poor to brutal for a good portion of the match.

Some of his decisions I find difficult to fathom. From team selections, to subs to how risk averse he can be.

He has a big 12 months coming up. Only having the Europa League to play for in March, isn't good enough for a club like Utd and we need to kick on considerably next season if he is to stay in the job beyond his current contract.
There's a fair chance that both the Champions league and Europa League finals will be all English affairs.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:33 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
There's a fair chance that both the Champions league and Europa League finals will be all English affairs.
What's your point? The standard across Europe with the exception of Bayern is woeful.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:33 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
The general standard of club football is far from its best right now. There is little doubt the bent "oil clubs" have had a negative effect overall.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Tbf progress since SaF retired would be to qualify for the Cl through league positions in back to back seasons

Would be great to get a cup but I’ll take back to back Cl qualification as long as we back him in the summer window.
Yes, I think consistency of a certain level is progress too. LVG and Jose followed promise with a season that ended their tenure. Ole could follow a season we all took as fairly successful and follow it with another. Nobody has really done that recently,

It’s not the ultimate destination, but given the upheaval of recents and these £#%&!ing owners, we’re not going to suddenly wrestle supremacy away from an oil-money fuelled club who have won 5 (or whatever the £#%&! it is ) titles in 9 years.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Ronny

People complaining about our slow mindless side to side passing and lack of movement up front.
Need to remember why Carrick, our first team coach for the last three years, was nicknamed the crab back in the day.
He is the issue with this teams crap football IMO.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:39 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny
People complaining about our slow mindless side to side passing and lack of movement up front.
Need to remember why Carrick, our first team coach for the last three years, was nicknamed the crab back in the day.
That’s %@#$&!s

If our assistant manager is having that much say on the way we play it’s not a good look for our manager...

But yeah %@#$&!s.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

We've only qualified for the champions league via league position I think 3 times in the last 7 years? once under van gaal, once under jose and now once under ole?

we have to start finishing top 4 every season without fail because we've been yo yoing up and down the top 6 since 2013

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:42 PM
NedKelly

Some days I half hope we will sack him, so when the cycle of failure inevitably repeats itself under another manager while jokes like Woodward pull the strings, those of us speaking sense can turn around and say “told you so”. Some proper knee jerk £#%&!ers on here.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:44 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny
TeamViewer. New sponsor announced and we £#%&! up our decent away record.

Coincidence? I think not.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:46 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
We've only qualified for the champions league via league position I think 3 times in the last 7 years? once under van gaal, once under jose and now once under ole?

we have to start finishing top 4 every season without fail because we've been yo yoing up and down the top 6 since 2013
Yep, consistency like DR said

It was always going to be slow build to challenging for the big two again and the strategy of the last 7 years hasn’t worked. Stick with Ole and back him with the right signings instead of ‘names’ or freebie has-been and I think we’ll eventually get there.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:49 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

who gives a £#%&! about the cl if we are not competing in the premier league, we are not liverpool ffs

Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Some days I half hope we will sack him, so when the cycle of failure inevitably repeats itself under another manager while jokes like Woodward pull the strings, those of us speaking sense can turn around and say “told you so”. Some proper knee jerk w****rs on here.
They will never admit it. It’s all new age social media bullshit. Opinions are shaped by the knee jerk reactions and hyperbole every time we lose/play bad.

It’s a shit result , but 2nd in the league and quarters of Europa is hardly reason to sack a manager. Esp when you see what else he has done . Got rid of a lot of the shit @#%&!s !

Nobody who wants ole in is saying everything is perfect. But he has built something to build upon. Leicester are the third best team in the league and had an extra week to prepare.

We play 7 games in 4 weeks without shit squad. Outside the first Strongest XI we arent very good . Ole has moved the club forward compared to the short term shit we were looking at with LVG and Jose. The first time in 10 years we are looking forward and optimistic rather than hoping. We (some) look forward to games and can see what’s happening.

Ole gets things wrong and he will, but generally speaking over the season we have progressed from last. Sign a CF , CM and CB and we have position to challenge next year.

AK14

Quote:
Some days I half hope we will sack him, so when the cycle of failure inevitably repeats itself under another manager while jokes like Woodward pull the strings, those of us speaking sense can turn around and say “told you so”. Some proper knee jerk £#%&!ers on here.
Yeah it’s the last thing we need now isn’t it...

Imagine giving someone like Allegri the keys now and just let him rip up the last couple of years only to start all over again with Woodward giving him his 2nd and 3rd choice signings while the likes of Jones, Jesse, Martial, Dalot* etc are given ‘time to impress the new manager’

£#%&! that.

*we haven’t got that many shit@#%&!s left anymore tbf... Ole

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:51 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Some days I half hope we will sack him, so when the cycle of failure inevitably repeats itself under another manager while jokes like Woodward pull the strings, those of us speaking sense can turn around and say “told you so”. Some proper knee jerk w****rs on here.
every manager we hire who has to work under the Galzer’s ownership will always be working with one arm behind their back, because the owners don’t care about us being an amazing trophy winning football team, they just want the top 4

all i’m saying is, if that’s the case we need to hire a manager who can work successfully under those constraints

we all know we are never going to overhaul the squad the way it needs to be so surely we need a coach who can coach these players into a functioning football team with the odd signing here and there?

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:51 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
who gives a £#%&! about the cl if we are not competing in the premier league, we are not liverpool ffs
I think with the way the global state of football finances is going, it's going to be very important to get the extra 100 million or so it'll bring.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:53 PM
Ronny

Quote:

*we haven’t got that many shit@#%&!s left anymore tbf... Ole

Today was evidence to the contrary I’m afraid.
Closed Thread