United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music

Unread 16-01-2020, 10:53 AM
My Name is Heath

Default Loneliness

What was that cool tune?

sorry - should have put it in music thread!!

Mods - please move.

Last edited by My Name is Heath; 16-01-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Unread 16-01-2020, 10:55 AM
jaffo

Spend most of my time wishing people would leave me the f*** alone tbh

Unread 16-01-2020, 10:59 AM
Baron

It's a banger:

Unread 16-01-2020, 11:06 AM
My Name is Heath

Thumbs up

Top man.

Can close thread.

Last edited by My Name is Heath; 16-01-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Unread 16-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Albert Tatlock

Had a similar situation with "weekend lonliness" as one of the contributors in the article.

I moved here in 1990, before the internet and mobile phones were a thing and took an appartment in the centre of town. I moved on my own and left my then girlfriend in Burnage as I wasn't sure that the job would work out. During the week it was fine, I was busy and had good colleagues, but they all lived far out of town with their families, so weekends I was pretty much on my own, in a strange town where I didn't really speak the languages. It was odd for a few months and just like that guy I sometimes spoke to no one all weekend. it all changed when I bumped into a scouser in a cafe and we got chatting. He introduced me to an ex pat group that used to drink in Brussels and for the next 10 months until my gf came to join me, I was completely smashed out of my tree from 18:00 on a friday until about 22:00 on a sunday evening... looking back I could have done with a quiet weekend or two during that period.

Unread 16-01-2020, 11:18 AM
Drexl

EDIT deleted due to op backing out

Unread 16-01-2020, 11:25 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock View Post
Had a similar situation with "weekend lonliness" as one of the contributors in the article.

I moved here in 1990, before the internet and mobile phones were a thing and took an appartment in the centre of town. I moved on my own and left my then girlfriend in Burnage as I wasn't sure that the job would work out. During the week it was fine, I was busy and had good colleagues, but they all lived far out of town with their families, so weekends I was pretty much on my own, in a strange town where I didn't really speak the languages. It was odd for a few months and just like that guy I sometimes spoke to no one all weekend. it all changed when I bumped into a scouser in a cafe and we got chatting. He introduced me to an ex pat group that used to drink in Brussels and for the next 10 months until my gf came to join me, I was completely smashed out of my tree from 18:00 on a friday until about 22:00 on a sunday evening... looking back I could have done with a quiet weekend or two during that period.
Sorry mate - I shouldn't have started this thread.

Sounds bloody good that though

Unread 16-01-2020, 11:27 AM
waynes ear's

better

Unread 16-01-2020, 11:37 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath View Post
Top man.

Can close thread.
Sorry Jez - I'll answer honestly.

I think people in general, everyone, needs to be comfortable in their own company. If you can't stand to be sat alone at home with just your own thoughts, you're not going to be able to cope with a relationship (or it will at least be built on the shakey ground of the projection of your best self rather than the honest version with all your inherent flaws.)

Between my last relationship, which ended in 2015 after 7 years, and the current, just over 2 years in, I had 3 years or so of being on my own. It's natural to feel the cold sting of loneliness when you're out of a relationship, people crave companionship. Unless you have a family life that is mental busy, in which case all of my mates with 2 & 3 year olds tell me all they want is a night in on their own. See also: Dunlop, Fuzzy & Buster, Bunker from this here forum.

The older we get, the less time you have to yourself if you become a family man. Quite how anyone is expected to balance the work / life / mates / romance / hobbies / independence shit is beyond me. I already know if & likely when my missus gets pregnant my life will change beyond recognition and that is a frankly terrifying proposition.

Have you had any counselling? Making sense of yourself is more important than pretty much anything, I'd recommend some honest conversations with a professional. & then get some hobbies (not paying b***hes on the internet is a good start. Knock that on the head.) Do something active. Find a routine. Know that you're an absolute gent & the right woman will find you if you can manage to get your own head straight first.

Also read more, listen to music, talk to folks on the phone or write a letter / email. You need outlets.

Unread 16-01-2020, 11:39 AM
Albert Tatlock