Closed Thread

Unread 01-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Ethers

Bellers defending City yet again I see. Interesting

Unread 01-12-2015, 05:40 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We had some bad luck with that crop tbh, hopefully Lingers makes it all worthwhile..

It doesn't feel like there is the same emphasis on the youth these days, and hasn't for a while tbh.
Too true. Then again as believe says it's not like everyone else is doing it. Still no real excuse for not us though

Unread 01-12-2015, 05:43 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Bellers defending City yet again I see. Interesting
Try to keep in the family :sheikhead:

Unread 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Buck

Ironically the best youth academy belongs to Chelsea. They hoard talented youngsters signed from abroad as is well documented but the local lads have started making waves at that level. But it means nothing being a top talent at academy level until you get the opportunity to progress in the first team. McEachran is an example of the epic £#%&! up of their development program after they've outgrown reserve team level.

After Ashley Cole who was Arsenal's next successful academy product?

Unread 01-12-2015, 05:46 PM
dunk

Gibbs, Coquelin, Wilshire...

Off the top of my head.

Unread 01-12-2015, 05:47 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Utd produce loads of good quality professional footballers, coming across the odd one who will develop and become a world class gem is a matter of luck as much as anything else.

Unread 01-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Gibbs, Coquelin, Wilshire...

Off the top of my head.
Hardly call them successful. Loads to prove.

Evans, Cleverley and Welbeck have been more successful.

Unread 01-12-2015, 06:08 PM
My Name is Keith

This is the mirror list:

Tyler Blackett, Paddy McNair, Jonny Evans, Adnan Januzaj, Darren Fletcher, Tom Cleverley, Reece James, Saidy Janko, Michael Keane, Jesse Lingard, Marnick Vermijl, Danny Welbeck, James Wilson, Andreas Pereira and Tom Thorpe.

This is the question asked in a poll further down the page

Why have Man United had so many youngsters playing first team football?

Their academy is awesome
Their first team is awful

Unread 01-12-2015, 06:30 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
This is the mirror list:

Tyler Blackett, Paddy McNair, Jonny Evans, Adnan Januzaj, Darren Fletcher, Tom Cleverley, Reece James, Saidy Janko, Michael Keane, Jesse Lingard, Marnick Vermijl, Danny Welbeck, James Wilson, Andreas Pereira and Tom Thorpe.

This is the question asked in a poll further down the page

Why have Man United had so many youngsters playing first team football?

Their academy is awesome
Their first team is awful

Unread 01-12-2015, 06:45 PM
teflon_terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It happens mate to all great empires. They stand still and don't notice the rest creeping up behind them. Before you know it you're being walloped 6-1 at home and finishing 7th.
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Unread 01-12-2015, 06:51 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It happens mate to all great empires. They stand still and don't notice the rest creeping up behind them. Before you know it you're being walloped 6-1 at home and finishing 7th.
How many of city's youth academy played in the 6 1 ? That's as daft a thing as you've ever said sparky they have spent a billion in 8 years it's hardly unnoticeable is it. And the header of the thread was aimed at youth Utd have played more youth players this season than id imagine city have since the sheik took over

Unread 01-12-2015, 06:55 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_terry
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Woooooooaaahhhhhh camouflage

Unread 01-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
How many of city's youth academy played in the 6 1 ? That's as daft a thing as you've ever said sparky they have spent a billion in 8 years it's hardly unnoticeable is it. And the header of the thread was aimed at youth Utd have played more youth players this season than id imagine city have since the sheik took over
There needs to be a better, more cohesive system for funneling players to the first team. At the moment we have players coming in and out, then sent on loan, then they play one game because we've got injuries and then never seen again.

That's not a proper planned introduction for young players, that's just using them to plug holes in your first team when someone's injured, like Fergie did toward the end. It's why we ended up with young players in their 20s who haven't nailed down a proper position yet because Fargson had them all playing in 4 different positions to cover. It's why we're only starting to see the best of Smalling now because he's not being shunted about at full back.

Unread 01-12-2015, 07:04 PM
believe

Or maybe it's because most of them would struggle / have struggled at Sunderland. The list has just been posted and it's pretty much a who's who of mediocrity.

We brought six players through 23 years ago who went on to do spectacular things and we've brought one world class player through since in Pogba, who we bought from another youth team then didn't know how to manage but still talk like we're a production line of world class talent. All to try and maintain an identity that was created 70 years ago that couldn't be far more removed from the modern game if it tried.

Unread 01-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Or maybe it's because most of them would struggle / have struggled at Sunderland. The list has just been posted and it's pretty much a who's who of mediocrity.

We brought six players through 23 years ago who went on to do spectacular things and we've brought one world class player through since in Pogba, who we bought from another youth team then didn't know how to manage but still talk like we're a production line of world class talent. All to try and maintain an identity that was created 70 years ago that couldn't be far more removed from the modern game if it tried.
this is also true

Unread 01-12-2015, 07:47 PM
puressence

Van gaal has obv plugged gaps he's had to buy think there's a couple in there that can definitely progress and fosu mensah will be pushing soon. Just feel this love affair with city and the start of the art training complex we keep hearing about is just that its all well having a million kids there but who's coming through I mean even getting regular squad games none bar that lad with a name I can't pronounce and he's been brought in and subbed already ....

Unread 01-12-2015, 07:53 PM
believe

Did you miss the point about the kids city are working are most likely to be 13 maximum? And it's not a love in its fact. I've been in the Middle East, America and Australia in the last four months and they're everywhere, Etihad are everywhere too. It's what happens when teams have money and are successful and why people are trying to make the fact not true is £#%&!ing weird.

Ferguson started his work on the youth set up in 1986 and we seen a result of it in 1995.

Unread 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Did you miss the point about the kids city are working are most likely to be 13 maximum? And it's not a love in its fact. I've been in the Middle East, America and Australia in the last four months and they're everywhere, Etihad are everywhere too. It's what happens when teams have money and are successful and why people are trying to make the fact not true is £#%&!ing weird.

Ferguson started his work on the youth set up in 1986 and we seen a result of it in 1995.
Been away mate ? Should of mentioned it...

Unread 01-12-2015, 08:03 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Been away mate ? Should of mentioned it...
You going to be a #@&%! all of December or just until the 21st?

*should have*
Closed Thread