United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-03-2011, 11:58 AM
wee man

Thumbs up Re: Hooray! Sunday Supplement is back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I agree with this up to a point..
I used to immerse myself in Football/sports coverage, but I've finally had enough of it.
I haven't bought a newspaper for years...I used to listen to TalkSport & 5Live all the time, but barring the occasional lapse I haven't listened to them for months.
SkySports News is very rarely on these days either...

Sunday Supplement remains a guilty pleasure (providing United have had a good result obviously) - but it doesn't even pretend to hide it's bias anymore (give the public what they want & put the FA & Refs under as much pressure as you can)
It was better when it was 'Hold The Back Page' on Friday nights.

I don't know what my point is tbf..
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Unread 20-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Default Re: Hooray! Sunday Supplement is back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Why do people torture themselves with this nonsense? Just curious....
Because they are ridiculously ABU, watching them foam at the mouth over anything negative Utd related and seeing them get so giddy when we slip up makes it soooo much sweeter to see them sucking lemons when we get a result

They are like moths round a lightbulb, they get their noses burnt everytime, but just cannot learn their lesson

Unread 20-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Pop

Quote:
Why do people torture themselves with this nonsense? Just curious....
Its not torture, it £#%&!ing hilarious. They were STILL on about Rooney's elbow this morning

Unread 20-03-2011, 12:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Its not torture, it £#%&!ing hilarious. They were STILL on about Rooney's elbow this morning
And they will be for YEARS to come, be in no doubt about that.

How long was *that* coverage of our players chasing the ref v Boro back in 2000, shown on TV??

Sure I saw it yet again, just a few months ago

Unread 20-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
And they will be for YEARS to come, be in no doubt about that.

How long was *that* coverage of our players chasing the ref v Boro back in 2000, shown??

Sure I saw it again just a few months ago
You mean "The Andy D'Urso Incident (tm)"?

Still being shown over a decade after it happened. Mind you, I suppose that's natural, given that it's still the only time in football history players have ever hassled a referee.

Unread 20-03-2011, 12:51 PM
otbarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

Still being shown over a decade after it happened. Mind you, I suppose that's natural, given that it's still the only time in football history players have ever hassled a referee.
Especially as in the return fixture, when Quinton scored that goal that looked yards offside, but wasn't, that mop headed @#%&! Emerson or Emerton or whatever his £#%&!in moniker was, actually grabbed the ref and pulled him back, which I thought was a straight red.

Unread 20-03-2011, 01:02 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:

It's like the way people talk about the Sheffield Wednesday game when moaning about how much stoppage time we get ...it was nearly 20 years ago ffs..What's your cut off point??

As if Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea players haven't benefited from the stoppage board, or haven't been in a Refs face after a dodgy penalty call etc..

It's absolutely £#%&!ing ridiculous.

Unread 20-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Liu Jian

What have they said that is so ABU?

Obviously it's England related, but the bit I saw had them saying Rio was a better role-model and captain than Terry and shouldn't have been stripped.

One of them also said Rooney should be captain.

Smalling been bigged up aswell.

Unread 20-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Pop

Quote:

Its even got a seperate entry on his Wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_D%27Urso

Unread 20-03-2011, 01:07 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
Especially as in the return fixture, when Quinton scored that goal that looked yards offside, but wasn't, that mop headed @#%&! Emerson or Emerton or whatever his £#%&!in moniker was, actually grabbed the ref and pulled him back, which I thought was a straight red.
Yep, Ince & a few more were 'litchrally' in the Linesman's face as well..

Another example the other week after Carragher got away with his assault on Nani, Edwin came out of his goal to remonstrate with the Ref - the commentators went mad "What's he doing out of his goal?..it's not his concern..he's just adding to the chaos etc.." - of course, I think Reina came out of his goal in a similar fashion at least twice (as he tends to do every £#%&!ing game) & the commentators didn't seem bothered

Unread 20-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
It's like the way people talk about the Sheffield Wednesday game when moaning about how much stoppage time we get ...it was nearly 20 years ago ffs..What's your cut off point??
Especially given that the time added on that time was perfectly sensible because the referee got injured and it took forever to replace him.

Unread 20-03-2011, 02:01 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Especially given that the time added on that time was perfectly sensible because the referee got injured and it took forever to replace him.
As then SW manager Trevor Francis freely admitted after the game - something that has been written out of history.

Unread 20-03-2011, 02:04 PM
armchair

barca are the new masters at getting in the refs face. but they're allowed because they are angels sent from heaven.

Unread 20-03-2011, 10:09 PM
taff

on a similar theme, have just been reading yesterday's times. amongst the joys contained therein:

- following the champions league draw, ancelotti says 'it's a good time to play united'
- oliver kay: every leading bookmaker in the country has made chelsea favourites, united a shadow of their former selves, did i mention chelsea are favourites?
- 'expert' analysis from tony cascarino concludes that, yes, chelsea are favourites
- tedious slaphead bullshit-monger patrick 'picard' barclay on why ferguson's touchline ban is no sort of punishment for his numerous and despicable crimes
- and best of all: if all the points from the entire history of the football league were added together, liverpool would come top and are therefore champions of time itself

blah blah blah ad £#%&!ing nauseum

Unread 20-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
on a similar theme, have just been reading yesterday's times. amongst the joys contained therein:

- following the champions league draw, ancelotti says 'it's a good time to play united'
- oliver kay: every leading bookmaker in the country has made chelsea favourites, united a shadow of their former selves, did i mention chelsea are favourites?
- 'expert' analysis from tony cascarino concludes that, yes, chelsea are favourites
- tedious slaphead bullshit-monger patrick 'picard' barclay on why ferguson's touchline ban is no sort of punishment for his numerous and despicable crimes
- and best of all: if all the points from the entire history of the football league were added together, liverpool would come top and are therefore champions of time itself

blah blah blah ad £#%&!ing nauseum

Unread 20-03-2011, 11:03 PM
SilverSurfer

The Guardian's Joy of Six feature the other day had a scouse game in 1981 when they were European Champions. They'd lost a game at Coventry and dropped to about 12th, but with games in hand. The-then Graun writer Paddy Barclay wrote that Paisley was presiding over a decline as his signings like Rush were too callow. Come the end of the season Liverpool won the league and Rush scored 30 goals.

Paddy Barclay; consistently wrong and spouting bullshit for 30 years.

Unread 20-03-2011, 11:08 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
I saw this done once a few years back. That's actually a warped statistic, it was calculated based on the points actually awarded, ie two points while it was two for a win, three once it changed to three. If you assumed three points as a win from the beginning Everton came out tops.

Actually no, that's only in the top flight... reading that, they're counting Liverpool's second division statistics (and Everton's, though they've had far less seasons in the second) in it. Which is an outrageous cheat.

Unread 20-03-2011, 11:16 PM
BulgarianSpectator

Quote:
Anytime someone mentions "extra time so United can score", ask what particular rule exists that only allows United to score in added time, and not the opposition? Has it been awarded because the other team have been time wasting during the game, in the hope of holding out for a draw?

Unread 20-03-2011, 11:20 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgarianSpectator
Anytime someone mentions "extra time so United can score", ask what particular rule exists that only allows United to score in added time, and not the opposition? Has it been awarded because the other team have been time wasting during the game, in the hope of holding out for a draw?
United never concede goals in time added on. Time added on is for United's benefit only. It's rule number 95a(1) in the FA handbook

Unread 20-03-2011, 11:35 PM
BulgarianSpectator

Quote:
United never concede goals in time added on. Time added on is for United's benefit only. It's rule number 95a(1) in the FA handbook
Cheers, Ste. P.S. I think you look like a young Tommy Cooper.
Closed Thread