United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Unread 01-07-2022, 01:48 PM
NedKelly

Default Roast dinners - a meaty problem

Iím forever alternating between chicken and beef. Occasionally Iíll go for boiled bacon but it changes the whole meal I find and I end up doing loads of cabbage.

I want to switch it up. Aside from chicken and beef, whatís your favourite roast dinner meat?

Also just any tips on how to freshen up a roast dinner would be nice. Feel like Iíve been going through the motions with them recently and they used to be my favourite meal.

Unread 01-07-2022, 01:51 PM
armchair

Used to have lamb a lot: rack, shoulder or leg but I stopped due to how cute lambs are.

Have roast chicken about once a week but could easily skip that.

Unread 01-07-2022, 01:52 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Iím forever alternating between chicken and beef. Occasionally Iíll go for boiled bacon but it changes the whole meal I find and I end up doing loads of cabbage.

I want to switch it up. Aside from chicken and beef, whatís your favourite roast dinner meat?

Also just any tips on how to freshen up a roast dinner would be nice. Feel like Iíve been going through the motions with them recently and they used to be my favourite meal.
You can do a lovely lamb shank in a slow cooker.
Also try different birds, turkey, goose, duck?

Unread 01-07-2022, 01:54 PM
red red robbo

Despite their cuteness, lamb is the king of roast meats. You get to add some mint sauce as well which changes things up a little, although it's also quite nice on chicken. Always have Yorkshires, don't just save them for beef.

You could try Venison as well, have had that occasionally.

Lamb and venison are a little more expensive then your beef and chicken of course.

Unread 01-07-2022, 01:55 PM
big chief

Pork for the crackling

Unread 01-07-2022, 01:56 PM
Baron

Pork belly

The pig

& for new roast ideas, just follow the fat tongue ****er Jamie Oliver - usually simple recipes with big flavour.

Unread 01-07-2022, 01:58 PM
Bunker Buster

Lamb obviously, the little rack of cutlets with a Herby crumb ... a nice big chunk of gammon, lashings of mustard...

Try cauliflower cheese as an alternative veg, parsnips almost burnt in honey bread sauce, serve the thing in a giant Yorkshire...

Sweet potatoe roasties as well as white....

Have it for breakfast...

Roll the lot in a burrito ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Pork belly

In my top three meats

Such a cheap meat it's almost looked down the nose at, I just Rio open the packet, season and leather in oil and peri peri sources, grill till burnt .

Could eat it all day everyday ....

The pig

Unread 01-07-2022, 02:23 PM
NedKelly

4 for lamb, and 3 for pork so far. Weirdly the only time I tend to have lamb nowadays is when I make chilli I use a lamb mince.

Have to say, the thought of a juicy lamb shank, with some mint sauce on the side, it is making me feel things lads. May take a few attempts to get it right but I think lamb it is.

Bunks been on the honey glazed parsnips for a while, but Iím loving the thought of them and some other bits in a big Yorkshire.

All it took was a few posts and my imagination is running wild again

Unread 01-07-2022, 02:32 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
4 for lamb, and 3 for pork so far. Weirdly the only time I tend to have lamb nowadays is when I make chilli I use a lamb mince.

Have to say, the thought of a juicy lamb shank, with some mint sauce on the side, it is making me feel things lads. May take a few attempts to get it right but I think lamb it is.

Bunks been on the honey glazed parsnips for a while, but Iím loving the thought of them and some other bits in a big Yorkshire.

All it took was a few posts and my imagination is running wild again
Nice carrot & sweet potato mash as well.

Unread 01-07-2022, 02:36 PM
AK14

Pork
Beef
Chicken

In that order

Not a fan of lamb.

Unread 01-07-2022, 03:31 PM
silv

Lamb is delicious but when you walk passed fields seeing them runnjng around then hear the baa baaís only to come back a day later and theyíre all gone and itís quiet.. it changes you

Unread 01-07-2022, 03:43 PM
Seamus

I've gone right off red meat. Stick to chicken

Unread 01-07-2022, 03:44 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Lamb is delicious but when you walk passed fields seeing them runnjng around then hear the baa baaís only to come back a day later and theyíre all gone and itís quiet.. it changes you
All that running around, frolicking if you will, and happy baa baas would never have happened if people didn't want to eat them.

Just an alternate view. Is it better for a lamb to have existed and experienced a short, but carefree, life only to end up on someone's dinner plate rather than for it to never have existed at all?

Unread 01-07-2022, 08:26 PM
Finport Red

Off meat 31 years nearly. For the lamb reasons mentioned above, applied to all other animals.

The veg are where itís at. Roasted parsnips & potatoes, along with carrots, sprouts, peas etc.

Unread 01-07-2022, 09:04 PM
Knockers

The worldís most overrated meal but whatevs.

Massive chicken, stuff a lemon up its arse with pyar herbs. Chop a chorizo ring. Bang that in. No potatoes - butternut squash is in. Sprouts on hand? Scattoh.

A sugggestion of couscous or fresh pasta and itís on like Fat Patís thong.

Unread 01-07-2022, 09:09 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers

Massive chicken, stuff a lemon up its arse with pyar herbs. Chop a chorizo ring. Bang that in. No potatoes - butternut squash is in. Sprouts on hand? Scattoh.

Jesus.....

"Would you like some gravel sir?"

Unread 01-07-2022, 09:20 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers

Youíve got some stones coming in here and suggesting pasta

Unread 01-07-2022, 10:22 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Off meat 31 years nearly. For the lamb reasons mentioned above, applied to all other animals.

The veg are where itís at. Roasted parsnips & potatoes, along with carrots, sprouts, peas etc.

Unread 01-07-2022, 10:26 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak14

Unread 01-07-2022, 11:11 PM
big chief

Best thing about a roast chicken is you can boil down the carcass to make a stock, perfect for making soup with.

Lots of different cultural recipes. I tend to make noodle soup with a load of veg & spices. Lasts a few days as a batch meal.