United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink
Reply
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 01:48 PM
NedKelly
 
Default Roast dinners - a meaty problem

Iím forever alternating between chicken and beef. Occasionally Iíll go for boiled bacon but it changes the whole meal I find and I end up doing loads of cabbage.

I want to switch it up. Aside from chicken and beef, whatís your favourite roast dinner meat?

Also just any tips on how to freshen up a roast dinner would be nice. Feel like Iíve been going through the motions with them recently and they used to be my favourite meal.
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 01:51 PM
armchair
 
Default

Used to have lamb a lot: rack, shoulder or leg but I stopped due to how cute lambs are.

Have roast chicken about once a week but could easily skip that.
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 01:52 PM
Fat Al
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Iím forever alternating between chicken and beef. Occasionally Iíll go for boiled bacon but it changes the whole meal I find and I end up doing loads of cabbage.

I want to switch it up. Aside from chicken and beef, whatís your favourite roast dinner meat?

Also just any tips on how to freshen up a roast dinner would be nice. Feel like Iíve been going through the motions with them recently and they used to be my favourite meal.
You can do a lovely lamb shank in a slow cooker.
Also try different birds, turkey, goose, duck?
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 01:54 PM
red red robbo
 
Default

Despite their cuteness, lamb is the king of roast meats. You get to add some mint sauce as well which changes things up a little, although it's also quite nice on chicken. Always have Yorkshires, don't just save them for beef.

You could try Venison as well, have had that occasionally.

Lamb and venison are a little more expensive then your beef and chicken of course.
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 01:55 PM
big chief
 
Default

Pork for the crackling
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 01:56 PM
Baron
 
Default

Pork belly



The pig

& for new roast ideas, just follow the fat tongue ****er Jamie Oliver - usually simple recipes with big flavour.
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 01:58 PM
Bunker Buster
 
Default

Lamb obviously, the little rack of cutlets with a Herby crumb ... a nice big chunk of gammon, lashings of mustard...

Try cauliflower cheese as an alternative veg, parsnips almost burnt in honey bread sauce, serve the thing in a giant Yorkshire...

Sweet potatoe roasties as well as white....

Have it for breakfast...

Roll the lot in a burrito ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Pork belly



In my top three meats

Such a cheap meat it's almost looked down the nose at, I just Rio open the packet, season and leather in oil and peri peri sources, grill till burnt .

Could eat it all day everyday ....



The pig
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 02:23 PM
NedKelly
 
Default

4 for lamb, and 3 for pork so far. Weirdly the only time I tend to have lamb nowadays is when I make chilli I use a lamb mince.

Have to say, the thought of a juicy lamb shank, with some mint sauce on the side, it is making me feel things lads. May take a few attempts to get it right but I think lamb it is.

Bunks been on the honey glazed parsnips for a while, but Iím loving the thought of them and some other bits in a big Yorkshire.

All it took was a few posts and my imagination is running wild again
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 02:32 PM
Fat Al
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
4 for lamb, and 3 for pork so far. Weirdly the only time I tend to have lamb nowadays is when I make chilli I use a lamb mince.

Have to say, the thought of a juicy lamb shank, with some mint sauce on the side, it is making me feel things lads. May take a few attempts to get it right but I think lamb it is.

Bunks been on the honey glazed parsnips for a while, but Iím loving the thought of them and some other bits in a big Yorkshire.

All it took was a few posts and my imagination is running wild again
Nice carrot & sweet potato mash as well.
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 02:36 PM
AK14
 
Default

Pork
Beef
Chicken

In that order

Not a fan of lamb.
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 03:31 PM
silv
 
Default

Lamb is delicious but when you walk passed fields seeing them runnjng around then hear the baa baaís only to come back a day later and theyíre all gone and itís quiet.. it changes you
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 03:43 PM
Seamus
 
Default

I've gone right off red meat. Stick to chicken
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 03:44 PM
red red robbo
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Lamb is delicious but when you walk passed fields seeing them runnjng around then hear the baa baaís only to come back a day later and theyíre all gone and itís quiet.. it changes you
All that running around, frolicking if you will, and happy baa baas would never have happened if people didn't want to eat them.

Just an alternate view. Is it better for a lamb to have existed and experienced a short, but carefree, life only to end up on someone's dinner plate rather than for it to never have existed at all?
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 08:26 PM
Finport Red
 
Default

Off meat 31 years nearly. For the lamb reasons mentioned above, applied to all other animals.

The veg are where itís at. Roasted parsnips & potatoes, along with carrots, sprouts, peas etc.

 
Unread 01-07-2022, 09:04 PM
Knockers
 
Default

The worldís most overrated meal but whatevs.

Massive chicken, stuff a lemon up its arse with pyar herbs. Chop a chorizo ring. Bang that in. No potatoes - butternut squash is in. Sprouts on hand? Scattoh.

A sugggestion of couscous or fresh pasta and itís on like Fat Patís thong.
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 09:09 PM
Bunker Buster
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
The worldís most overrated meal but whatevs.

Massive chicken, stuff a lemon up its arse with pyar herbs. Chop a chorizo ring. Bang that in. No potatoes - butternut squash is in. Sprouts on hand? Scattoh.

A sugggestion of couscous or fresh pasta and itís on like Fat Patís thong.
Jesus.....

"Would you like some gravel sir?"
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 09:20 PM
NedKelly
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
The worldís most overrated meal but whatevs.

Massive chicken, stuff a lemon up its arse with pyar herbs. Chop a chorizo ring. Bang that in. No potatoes - butternut squash is in. Sprouts on hand? Scattoh.

A sugggestion of couscous or fresh pasta and itís on like Fat Patís thong.
Youíve got some stones coming in here and suggesting pasta
 
Unread 01-07-2022, 10:22 PM
AK14
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Off meat 31 years nearly. For the lamb reasons mentioned above, applied to all other animals.

The veg are where itís at. Roasted parsnips & potatoes, along with carrots, sprouts, peas etc.

 
Unread 01-07-2022, 10:26 PM
Finport Red
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak14






 
Unread 01-07-2022, 11:11 PM
big chief
 
Default

Best thing about a roast chicken is you can boil down the carcass to make a stock, perfect for making soup with.

Lots of different cultural recipes. I tend to make noodle soup with a load of veg & spices. Lasts a few days as a batch meal.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Roast dinners - a meaty problem
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday Roast Dinners 2016 ashtonred Food and Drink 193 13-03-2016 03:56 PM
Sportsmans Dinners ScholesScoresGoals2 Off Topic 25 29-10-2012 03:21 PM
'sportsmans dinners' marlo Off Topic 24 18-05-2009 11:36 AM
The Who...Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy HarkNowHear Off Topic 12 22-02-2008 09:57 PM
can you get take-away roast dinners? m14red Food and Drink 36 26-06-2007 11:36 PM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:20 AM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2022 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.