Originally Posted by Fat Al
This the book?

Digging for Victory: Wartime Gardening with Mr Middleton

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digging-Vic.../dp/1845133714
No, this one

https://dig-for-victory.org.uk/month...rowing-guides/

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
I seem to remember Broad Beans are an early crop that enriches the soil. Can make a nice pesto

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...oad-bean-pesto
They fix nitrogen from the air into nodules in their roots, all legumes do this and it does enrich the soil. In a rotation you grow spuds there the next year which like nitrogen rich soil. You can grow them early but I find its too wet to do that up here and they rot, I grow them as a summer crop.

Unread 19-04-2022, 07:45 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
No, this one

https://dig-for-victory.org.uk/month...rowing-guides/

They fix nitrogen from the air into nodules in their roots, all legumes do this and it does enrich the soil. In a rotation you grow spuds there the next year which like nitrogen rich soil. You can grow them early but I find its too wet to do that up here and they rot, I grow them as a summer crop.

Nice one.

This is a hardback version of the one you linked, but apparently with some extra bits in.

Unread 20-04-2022, 06:15 PM
Sharders

If you grow Brassicas, top tip is to get a few Nasturtium plants. The cabbage white butterflies/caterpillars will preferentially go for them and leave your veg alone.

Any peas, beetroot, salad, chillies, tomatoes, pumpkins, squashes, potatoes, onions, garlic dead easy to grow. Brussel sprouts had mixed success.

Sweetcorn is easy but you have to manually fertilise them by shaking or brushing. Corn p*rn my missus calls it. They need tonnes of sun.

We've successfully grown melons and grapes in the greenhouse last 2 years.

Asparagus is latest one but need patience, you can't pick them for 3 years but amazing and once they start popping up you get loads of them.

Other than the gym and mountaineering, it's the most relaxing thing ever growing own stuff

Unread 20-04-2022, 06:24 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Even the look of them makes me ill.

So far have planted potatoes, carrots, parsnips, peppers, chillis, courgettes, aubergines, cucumber, onions, beetroot, lettuce, basil, coriander and tomatoes. And peas.
we have a few of these. chilis the most rewarding and consistent quality (ie: maximum reward for minimum effort). some would say a fruit, though.

Unread 20-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we have a few of these. chilis the most rewarding and consistent quality (ie: maximum reward for minimum effort). some would say a fruit, though.
Doesn't count if it's your gardener who's growing them.

Unread 20-04-2022, 06:27 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Doesn't count if it's your gardener who's growing them.
harsh. the gardener only destroys stuff.

Unread 20-04-2022, 07:02 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharders
If you grow Brassicas, top tip is to get a few Nasturtium plants. The cabbage white butterflies/caterpillars will preferentially go for them and leave your veg alone.

Any peas, beetroot, salad, chillies, tomatoes, pumpkins, squashes, potatoes, onions, garlic dead easy to grow. Brussel sprouts had mixed success.

Sweetcorn is easy but you have to manually fertilise them by shaking or brushing. Corn p*rn my missus calls it. They need tonnes of sun.

We've successfully grown melons and grapes in the greenhouse last 2 years.

Asparagus is latest one but need patience, you can't pick them for 3 years but amazing and once they start popping up you get loads of them.

Other than the gym and mountaineering, it's the most relaxing thing ever growing own stuff

Nigel Slater has logged on....

Unread 27-06-2022, 05:15 PM
Finport Red

How’s things coming along for the growers?

Been harvesting strawberries for the last 3 weeks or so, first courgettes last week and had a salad using homegrown romaine and rocket at lunch today.

First peas don’t look far away and the potatoes are flowering, despite the seasons here deciding to not bother moving forward to summer.

Some of the onions bolted, and not sure the peppers or aubergines will produce anything of note.

Unread 27-06-2022, 06:40 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
How’s things coming along for the growers?

Been harvesting strawberries for the last 3 weeks or so, first courgettes last week and had a salad using homegrown romaine and rocket at lunch today.

First peas don’t look far away and the potatoes are flowering, despite the seasons here deciding to not bother moving forward to summer.

Some of the onions bolted, and not sure the peppers or aubergines will produce anything of note.
I'm not doing much this year, but the salad stuff is doing well and the runner beans are cropping already.

Bit disappointed with the green beans - they went all yellow when I planted them out and they're only just picking up now.

Unread 27-06-2022, 07:25 PM
silv

I’ve got some peas, spring onions and carrots growing.

The carrots look a bit odd tbh.

Unread 27-06-2022, 07:58 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
I'm not doing much this year, but the salad stuff is doing well and the runner beans are cropping already.

Bit disappointed with the green beans - they went all yellow when I planted them out and they're only just picking up now.
Haven’t done any beans. Not a big fan of them. Might try next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
I’ve got some peas, spring onions and carrots growing.

The carrots look a bit odd tbh.
In what way? Mine are just a bit slow in growing. Same with the onions I grew from seed. They’re not big at all. The ones I grew from west have bolted, but the shallots look magnificent.

Unread 27-06-2022, 08:06 PM
Fat Al

My grandson decided that I didn't need to grow carrots this year.

Unread 27-06-2022, 10:33 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Haven’t done any beans. Not a big fan of them. Might try next year.

In what way? Mine are just a bit slow in growing. Same with the onions I grew from seed. They’re not big at all. The ones I grew from west have bolted, but the shallots look magnificent.
Onions are always slow to grow from seed, they'll swell really quickly once they start though, they'll not be ready till end August or early September. Plus ones from seed are less likely to bolt.

Unread 27-06-2022, 11:53 PM
armchair

Respect to the growers. Is it possible to never buy onions or potatoes again? Or is it just a week of jollies once a year where you pretend to be sustainable?

Unread 28-06-2022, 07:52 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Respect to the growers. Is it possible to never buy onions or potatoes again? Or is it just a week of jollies once a year where you pretend to be sustainable?
Depends how much space you’ve got. I think I’ll have enough potatoes to see me through most of the winter, maybe to spring.

Not sure how my onions will go. Bit you can do all year round on those too, if you have the space and especially if you have a greenhouse or polytunnel.

Root veg keep longer, so best to have a good harvest of them coming through in the autumn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
Onions are always slow to grow from seed, they'll swell really quickly once they start though, they'll not be ready till end August or early September. Plus ones from seed are less likely to bolt.
Cheers. I read that, but only once they’d bolted. The red sets seem to be more prone to it.

Unread 28-06-2022, 09:25 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I usually grow enough spuds to last till about mid march any longer and they start sprouting really and going soft. First crop of new spuds last week so between March and June I don't have home grown. Onions I have pretty much year round as o have winter onions from about mid May and the main crop up till then.

Cabbages can be grown fresh year round. Beans, sprouts, corn and broccoli I freeze, tomatoes I freeze as well but they're only good for sauce as they don't defrost well.

Unread 30-06-2022, 08:49 PM
Sharders

Got melons on the go this year. They've gone from flowers to now small fruits over last 3 months. Grown from seed from b and q, 20% success rate. Wife has already got the tights in place to hold them (growing them vertically inside the greenhouse). Wife hates me even more when I say tights and melon talk is arousing.