United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Site Feedback > Site Info, Suggestions & Feedback

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:09 PM
armchair

Default Thread defending my actions

I routinely close big threads from time to time because they affect the way the forum runs. I've done it forever.

If you have a problem with that, here's a thread for you to hang yourself.

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:11 PM
Switching Off

Think Windy Waffles thinks that's suboptimal. I personally see no issue with it.

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:14 PM
naes_sean

No problem here. Just start a new thread

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:15 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I routinely close big threads from time to time because they affect the way the forum runs. I've done it forever.

If you have a problem with that, here's a thread for you to hang yourself.
Wish Id seen this before i opened a new thread. Please feel free to close it. At least I know it was not down to me.

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:21 PM
armchair

I'm fine with the threads content. It's a technical issue. It's happened before with other threads once they become big and people park in them. We've had four or five covid threads and loads of brexit threads. Loads of rawk threads. It's not that I'm against the threads. I've zero issues with continuing the conversation and it wasn't an editorial decision.

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:42 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
I'm fine with the threads content. It's a technical issue. It's happened before with other threads once they become big and people park in them. We've had four or five covid threads and loads of brexit threads. Loads of rawk threads. It's not that I'm against the threads. I've zero issues with continuing the conversation and it wasn't an editorial decision.
Why are you defending your actions? You can do what you want......as you frequently do.

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:50 PM
armchair

Yeah that was one of the first locked threads.

There are two metrics. How long the threads are and how many people are in the thread at a time. That's why I discourage all-in threads like "summer transfers" as they'll be long and have loads of people in them.

I don't know what you are arguing. Some sort of political agenda from me?

Sad way to go out.

May as well get anything else you have to say off your check while you can.

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:53 PM
jem

shame. I loved travvers's bit in the brexit thread about the ease of using kilogrammes v stone. had the potential to cause mass confusion.

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:54 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
shame. I loved travvers's bit in the brexit thread about the ease of using kilogrammes v stone. had the potential to cause mass confusion.
It's probably the fourth or fifth brexit thread I've locked.

Why was I locking the covid threads? Politics?

measly can absolutely fuck himself.

Unread 09-06-2022, 11:56 PM
jem

Quote:
yeah, it's a pretty weighty topic.

Unread 10-06-2022, 12:18 AM
measlyshark

Quote:

Why was I locking the covid threads? Politics?

measly can absolutely fuck himself.
Just a little joke FFS.

Unread 10-06-2022, 12:23 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
Just a little joke FFS.
liar.

Unread 10-06-2022, 01:06 AM
Arnold Muhren

You dont need to defend shit Armers. This is your place and were just grateful to be a part of it. Peace.

Unread 13-06-2022, 12:04 AM
armchair

Seems to have worked. It was emergency action so you'll always get a bit of friendly fire as well as some prick thinks he knows better and will make a song and dance out of it.

Unread 13-06-2022, 02:15 AM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
You dont need to defend shit Armers. This is your place and were just grateful to be a part of it. Peace.
Word.

Unread 13-06-2022, 12:57 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
This. A thread with reasons you've banned people would be good, but more because we're all nosey buggers than any compassion for the banned.

Unread 13-06-2022, 01:01 PM
Finport Red

No problem with this, same as no problem with not allowing the paupers (including me) to post last week. Such are the ways of a benevolent dictatorship.

Unread 13-06-2022, 01:28 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
This. A thread with reasons you've banned people would be good, but more because we're all nosey buggers than any compassion for the banned.
I think this would be a really good idea. If a thread is closed or someone banned putting an explanation might help people better police themselves.

And we are all nosey

If you get thread banned though, I have found the best way to find out why is make a thread complaining about it then armers bans you from the site completely for 24 hours and tells you why

Unread 13-06-2022, 05:27 PM
armchair

3 day ban for no fun: off topic in the union thread. jem and robbo thread banned

Unread 13-06-2022, 05:37 PM
jem

Quote:
3 day ban for no fun: off topic in the union thread. jem and robbo thread banned
this is not unreasonable. and also not too painful.

I merely note that the only reason I answered nofers's question in that thread was because I knew there was no fucking way the old goat would actually start a separate thread on it. :0)