United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:13 PM
Patty_b

Default It's a mans game...

Other match thread was going a bit off topic.

Are women being forced into positions to meet a quota to the detriment of the TV product?

Personally I think it's forced, but I don't really care, I think most pundits take utter shite, man, woman or whatever. Someone had to make the decision to introduce female co-commentators and pundits eventually and it's been done. It'll be normal in a couple of years.

The lady that did the BT commentary on Saturday was good, I'd prefer to listen to her over a lot of male co-commentators that BT have had over the years.

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:26 PM
armchair

I've zero issue with women on panels. I've more of an issue with stupid people on panels.

I don't think we need to force a 50:50 ratio of men and women. I think a panel on women's football would be better served to have more women than men and vice versa for a panel on a men's game.

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:31 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I've zero issue with women on panels. I've more of an issue with stupid people on panels.

I don't think we need to force a 50:50 ratio of men and women. I think a panel on women's football would be better served to have more women than men and vice versa for a panel on a men's game.
Yep common sense...all to do with the quality of the analysis.

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:32 PM
AK14

Not that arsed tbh.

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:39 PM
History

I think if you actually add something, then who gives a shit.

Not particularly fond of Souness , but quite obvious the stick he's getting is daft. It's quite literally a mans game he's watching. Getting to the point now with language that at no point, especially if you're speaking publicly that you ever leave anything to interpretation. As the select view with the loudest voices want and will take it the wrong way

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Finport Red

If they take the place of the plethora of ex Liverpool players that have plagued our screens forever, I’m all for it.

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:49 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
I think if you actually add something, then who gives a shit.

Not particularly fond of Souness , but quite obvious the stick he's getting is daft. It's quite literally a mans game he's watching. Getting to the point now with language that at no point, especially if you're speaking publicly that you ever leave anything to interpretation. As the select view with the loudest voices want and will take it the wrong way
He knew exactly what he was doing. He didn’t just say it once. It was ‘men at it’. At what? Something only men do? Why not just say what they were doing? And then “it’s a man’s game again”. And then when Dave Whatshisface corrected him, he didn’t flinch.

It was a dick move by an old dinosaur, who is often bleating away like he’s still playing in the 1970s.

Not to mention that he’s changed his tune from the pathetic pearl-clutching when he was commenting on the protests during the Liverpool postponed game last year.

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:50 PM
Vedder

Why they’re there pisses me off the most tbh.

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:53 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Other match thread was going a bit off topic.

Are women being forced into positions to meet a quota to the detriment of the TV product?

Personally I think it's forced, but I don't really care, I think most pundits take utter shite, man, woman or whatever. Someone had to make the decision to introduce female co-commentators and pundits eventually and it's been done. It'll be normal in a couple of years.

The lady that did the BT commentary on Saturday was good, I'd prefer to listen to her over a lot of male co-commentators that BT have had over the years.
The thing that’s most relevant in the whole sourness thing is that, it’s not a man’s game any more. Hasn’t been for quite a few years now, and it’s to the detriment of the game.

Unread 15-08-2022, 05:55 PM
Bunker Buster

It IS man's game always has been, always will be....

How sympathetic we should be towards the women's side of the game of course could be looked at it, facts don't care about feelings.....

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:00 PM
Drexl

The problem we have is there isn't any obvious non-gender words in circulation to replace statements like "it's a man's game."

Words need to be created that convey the same message, but don't exclude women or non binarys... summat like: it's a warrior's game, but then you would probably offended peace-loving individuals.

TBH, I'd just sack off pronouns altogether

Souness is a dick though

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:02 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
The problem we have is there isn't any obvious non-gender words in circulation to replace statements like "it's a man's game."

Words need to be created that convey the same message, but don't exclude women or non binarys... summat like: it's a warrior's game, but then you would probably offended peace-loving individuals.

Souness is a dick though
Player Of The Match is a start.

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:04 PM
Drexl

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I'm having that

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:05 PM
History

Quote:

It was a dick move by an old dinosaur, who is often bleating away like he’s still playing in the 1970s.

Not sure on that. Regular attendee of Pride these days

The guys a #@&%! but he hasn't said anything wrong

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:06 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl

Souness is a dick though
It can be a tough physical contact sport?

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:10 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Not sure on that. Regular attendee of Pride these days

The guys a #@&%! but he hasn't said anything wrong
I’d agree if I didn’t think he did it deliberately. It wasn’t just a single moment, he said it twice. He seemed to be deliberately making a distinction.

Even if he wasn’t, it’s still a really stupid thing to say given he’s sat next to female football player. The phrase itself implies it’s a manly endeavour. It’s not used to describe men playing. It’s used to describe the manly nature of a game. It was at best, ill-conceived and at worst, insulting. And given it said it twice and rather gleefully, he knows exactly what he’s doing,

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:16 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
But nobody has or had any issue with the women’s football team, or competitions.

Man of the match is a valid term for the best player in the mens game.

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:24 PM
flixton

Some commentator got a social media %@#$&!ing for describing a minor fracas as "hand bags". It's now a banned expression but could actually be used in the men and ladies games.

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:27 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
But nobody has or had any issue with the women’s football team, or competitions.

Man of the match is a valid term for the best player in the mens game.
Yeah that’s one strange. Perhaps more to do with Trans? It assumes all the male players identify as male etc

Unread 15-08-2022, 06:40 PM
dunk

It’s all £#%&!ing stupid.

The game he was watching was mens football. It’s a ‘man’s game means it’s not for boys, you’ve got to be tough and ready. £#%&! all to do with slighting women or the woman’s game. They’re shoehorning something it a conversation that doesn’t belong or need to be there in this instance.

Souness is a pick though.

They can £#%&! off with this ‘ended the 59 year wait for an International trophy’ £#%&!ing shite too. It’s not helpful or remotely accurate.

I patiently await a woman winning the ‘player of the match’ in the men’s English Premier League in order to justify that changing too.
Closed Thread