United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-06-2023, 08:32 PM
est.1878

Football X1 utd game you feel the most nostalgia for

Can pick only one. ( Don't have to have attended) .

3-3 palace for me. Everything about it : Becoming properly obsessed with football at 7 years old, the kits, terraces, sunshine, the game itself. Can't remember what work I did this morning but this is super vivid 33 years ago

Unread 15-06-2023, 08:42 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Can pick only one. ( Don't have to have attended) .

3-3 palace for me. Everything about it : Becoming properly obsessed with football at 7 years old, the kits, terraces, sunshine, the game itself. Can't remember what work I did this morning but this is super vivid 33 years ago
Arsenal 2-0 smashing the invincibles. The build up, the overlap with the protests, Obriens that morning, scuffling with police pre-match, nightime descending midmatch, on a knife edge until injury time, Ruud redemption, sheer buzz and relief after, seeing hundreds of reds waiting for Arsenal on the forecourt to ensure their day got worse.

Unread 15-06-2023, 08:46 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Arsenal 2-0 smashing the invincibles. The build up, the overlap with the protests, Obriens that morning, scuffling with police pre-match, nightime descending midmatch, on a knife edge until injury time, Ruud redemption, sheer buzz and relief after, seeing hundreds of reds waiting for Arsenal on the forecourt to ensure their day got worse.

What a picture you have painted.

Unread 15-06-2023, 08:46 PM
no fun

Unfair to limit to one

But you have, so…….

If there’s one after match feeling I wish I could replicate it’s the 2-1 v Sheffield Wednesday brucie game

Unread 15-06-2023, 08:51 PM
suedeshoes

New years day 1989. United 3, Liverpool 1. One nil down in the 70th minute. Scored 3 in the next 10 minutes. Could've scored 3 more. OT was bouncing.

Was at the Hacienda and the Kitchens in Hulme the night/morning before. Was on a high for about 4 days before and after.

Straight on a coach the following morning to Middlesbrough away. Lost 1-0.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:13 PM
ryanMUFC

Treble season v Barcelona. 3-3. Was about 7. Asked my dad every 5 minutes why we were wearing our away kit at home.

Rivaldo was fantastic. So were we.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:22 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Yeah great one that. Got £#%&!ing soaked that day but it was brilliant.

magic_cantona

Weirdly, the 79 cup final defeat.

I used to have 2 VHS videos of it (you could only record for 3 or 4 hours so the whole day was recorded) - the build up of wrestling (Rollerball Rocco and Big Daddy), the coaches making the way to Wembley, my mum and dad both there (pre divorce), uncle playing for United in it. I even had the actual trackie top and kit in my house for years.

I was more taken in by United levelling at 2-2 than Arsenal winning it. Not sure why. Watched the videos 100's of times before sschool. A lot of my family are Everton but that was that for me.

est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Treble season v Barcelona. 3-3. Was about 7. Asked my dad every 5 minutes why we were wearing our away kit at home.

Rivaldo was fantastic. So were we.
7 years old seems to be the zenith

Good shout in kit confusion.

Pretty easy to work out how old you were tho imo :whatsapupsidedownemoji:

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:31 PM
tatty

For sheer explosion of emotion it would be Whiteside's goal in the 1985 final but I can't remember much else in the game bar the sending off.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:37 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
For sheer explosion of emotion it would be Whiteside's goal in the 1985 final but I can't remember much else in the game bar the sending off.
My little sister was 2 months old. My dad lobbed her in the air whilst feeding her when that went in Wonderful moment.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:41 PM
measlyshark

83 charity shield. Old man died in Feb 83 and Uncle took me and r'kid.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:45 PM
75Red

Barcelona at OT, 1984. Absolute scenes, everyone on the pitch at full time. Robson absolute legend

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:55 PM
My Name is Heath

Nostalgia?

77 v Liverpool in FA Cup.

The build up on the telly, the evil Liverpool machine winning everything. The plucky brave United lads of Hill, Coppell, Buchan…and my 2 faves. Pearson and Macari.

My Dad being with me all day. Bags of sweets and crisps, ice lollies in glasses of pop, the despair of Jimmy Case scoring then the victory….crying with happiness…

Takeaway from that place near the Gardeners Arms in New Moston, walking back with my Dad along Greengate…

Pure nostalgia

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:56 PM
AK14

Juve away 99

It had everything and was and probably still is one of the most exciting games I’ve watched.

Unread 15-06-2023, 10:00 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
The Nike 'use your shoe' initiative bins outside the ground provided great ammo 😁

Unread 15-06-2023, 10:14 PM
pedr0

beating juventus 3-2 at home in 97. my dad had just bought a new telly which seemed massive at the time but was probably 28 inches or something. i was so in awe of the champions league, perhaps because it was the only occasions when I was allowed to stay up till 10 on a weeknight

Brian Moore and Big Ron on comms is pure nostalgia. Giggs was unplayable, he scored so many great goals with that high near post finish.

Unread 16-06-2023, 01:00 AM
Stickman

The 3-2 win at Anfield start of 99-00 season, somewhat oddly.

Watched it in Cyprus, 16 - drinking with my Dad

Didn't even know wed signed Silvestre and Taibi until I saw the line up.

Just always had a huge soft spot for that game.

Unread 16-06-2023, 04:03 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
The 3-2 win at Anfield start of 99-00 season, somewhat oddly.

Watched it in Cyprus, 16 - drinking with my Dad

Didn't even know wed signed Silvestre and Taibi until I saw the line up.

Just always had a huge soft spot for that game.
I was in Ayia Napa at the same time.

I’m pretty sure it was Ranieri’s first Chelsea game as well.

(Bought a glass chess set there which I cherished until I dropped it)

Unread 16-06-2023, 04:25 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I was in Ayia Napa at the same time.

I’m pretty sure it was Ranieri’s first Chelsea game as well.

(Bought a glass chess set there which I cherished until I dropped it)
Ranieiris first Chelsea game was 3-3 at Old Trafford. We blew a 3-1 lead. It was such a complacent performance.
Closed Thread