United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-06-2023, 06:49 AM
NegativeNorris

The FA Cup win against the scousers in 99'. Still gives me a bit of a semi every time I see Ole smashing that winner in.

Unread 16-06-2023, 07:21 AM
Patty_b

Sheffield United in 93. Don't think it was the first game my old man took me too but it's the first game I properly remember being at and taking it all in. I even remember being at my nans absolutely buzzing waiting for my dad's car to pull up outside her house. The walk down to the ground, the atmosphere from getting out of the car to getting back to the car after the game, seeing the players and even that smokey smell on the concourse before the game. If they bottled and sold that smell I'd have it on subscription. It was all heaven.

Keano's second goal is burnt into my memory, don't remember his first though for some reason.

Unread 16-06-2023, 07:29 AM
Denis Irwell

ECF with the old fella. Unforgettable.

Sat on the Wembley steps before the game, still treasure his comments as a group of well dressed Portuguese guys ambled by. “D’ye smell that? They wear perfume, these foreign blokes y’know “. Instantly realised why a bottle of Old Spice had been sat in the bathroom cabinet for over 10+ years.

Then there was the match, the occasion. Ghosts laid.

Unread 16-06-2023, 07:32 AM
est.1878

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Sheffield United in 93. Don't think it was the first game my old man took me too but it's the first game I properly remember being at and taking it all in. I even remember being at my nans absolutely buzzing waiting for my dad's car to pull up outside her house. The walk down to the ground, the atmosphere from getting out of the car to getting back to the car after the game, seeing the players and even that smokey smell on the concourse before the game. If they bottled and sold that smell I'd have it on subscription. It was all heaven.

Keano's second goal is burnt into my memory, don't remember his first though for some reason.
Remember they made a big deal about receiving the Premier league champions flag for the north stand before kick off, which was tiny so OTT.

Unread 16-06-2023, 08:04 AM
shenwen

Also, the Blackburn game in 93. I was in Glasgow and sick as a dog with food poisoning. Dragged myself to the pub with my mate and the two us buzzing for all 90 mins. Especially when Pallister's goal went in. My mate running up to kiss the big screen

Unread 16-06-2023, 08:06 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

Sounds so like my first few years. + smell of linament and hot dogs.

Sp edit

Unread 16-06-2023, 08:12 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Sounds so like my first few years. + smell of ligament.
did used to be some proper tackles going in tbf

Need to add incessant loud "half time cash dash draw tickets" shouts to the concourse nostalgia mix

Unread 16-06-2023, 08:15 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Sounds so like my first few years. + smell of ligament and hot dogs.
Yep. Smell is a huge part of nostalgia. It would hit me as soon I exited the swing bridge and walked up to the ground with all the food trucks and merchandise stores.. As Patty says, if you could bottle it. Although the smell of boiling hot dogs and greasy burgers might be a very niche taste

Unread 16-06-2023, 08:18 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878

Need to add incessant loud "half time cash dash draw tickets" shouts to the concourse nostalgia mix
My dad won one of them, he has a photo of him accepting the cheque from Eamon Holmes on the pitch

He bought a Maroon Sierra with the money. If Qatar win the bid then I think he should take some of the blame.

Unread 16-06-2023, 08:21 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878

Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Yep. Smell is a huge part of nostalgia. It would hit me as soon I exited the swing bridge and walked up to the ground with all the food trucks and merchandise stores.. As Patty says, if you could bottle it. Although the smell of boiling hot dogs and greasy burgers might be a very niche taste
If you were hungry enough.

Was always fascinated by the mile long queue of buses along Ordsall Lane waiting after the game.

Unread 16-06-2023, 08:22 AM
Ethers

Game I was at would deffo be the Arsenal game that Quayders perfectly described. Incredible day, from beginning to end.

Game I wasn’t at would be the cup winners cup final. Magical. I remember taping it to watch again afterwards and must have worn the tape out I replayed it that much.

Unread 16-06-2023, 08:24 AM
Medlock

Thumbs up

Palace reply in 1990. First FA cup final. 10 years old. Great atmosphere and start of the Les Sealey love in

Unread 16-06-2023, 08:32 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Game I was at would deffo be the Arsenal game that Quayders perfectly described. Incredible day, from beginning to end.

Game I wasn’t at would be the cup winners cup final. Magical. I remember taping it to watch again afterwards and must have worn the tape out I replayed it that much.
So much the better for Wazza diving for the pen after their shithousing all previous season

Started to believe the title was close after that. Went over with our kid but only he managed to get a ticket. Brilliant couple of days though

Unread 16-06-2023, 09:06 AM
Bonkon

Rotherham 91.
First time I'd ever been out of the country.
Did a 3 day trip from old Trafford, me dad and his mates, me uncle and his mates, me, our kid and my cousin making up the younger element (Ages 11, 9 and 8)
The singing on the coach, the ferry over, seeing my dad bladdered for the first time, the hotel/hostel, what's that smell dad? Look at them women in the window dad! the rain and Sparky's second goal, always look on the bright side of life are all vividly etched into my brain.
United.

Unread 16-06-2023, 09:18 AM
75Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkon
Rotherham 91.
Gotta love predictive text

Unread 16-06-2023, 09:26 AM
jem

85 cup final. just a perfect day. can't have a nostalgia game that didn't have robson, mcgrath, hughes and whiteside in it.

Unread 16-06-2023, 09:52 AM
Bonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Red
Gotta love predictive text
Ffs

I'm leaving it for the lolz

Unread 16-06-2023, 10:46 AM
Seamus

the 85 semi final at Goodison park was just a mental day but my personal fave of all time was the 99 fa cup semi final replay at Villa Park. The game had everything and I was stood with 2 of my favourite brothers

Unread 16-06-2023, 11:18 AM
nick henry

Other than the really big occasions games (my favourite being 85 semi replay) mine would be the 2-1 win at Villa in the black viewcam kit.

Great kit, cool as £#%&! (Sharpey/Giggsy) team of hard cases if needed

Unread 16-06-2023, 11:22 AM
pc6090

V dippers at Anfield. 3-3. Can’t remember the year but Whiteside came on and pretty much assaulted everyone. Absolute carnage all over the place that day
Closed Thread