United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-01-2010, 07:49 PM
redhegemony

Default Gibson v Fletcher

Is there any reason why Gibson can't be as good as Fletcher? their development seems remarkably similar in terms of age and it was less than 2 years ago that Fletcher started to come on. So Gibson has at least two seasons to get to that level.

Neither seem particularly quick (but quick enough) but both are committed and physically strong. Gibson has a better shot whilst Fletcher maybe more likely to score with his head.

So would the Fletcher of 2005/6 been any better in midfield than Gibson was against Leeds? Not likely.

Arguably Gibson seems in front of Fletcher so why the shit he's getting? haven't we learned the lesson of the 'jocko come lately'?

Bump this thread in 2 years when he's at Preston..

Unread 05-01-2010, 07:53 PM
borsuk

Default Re: Gibson v Fletcher

fletcher is quick, especially over the first few yards. very good reaction time.

fletcher was far better in the reserves than gibson has ever been. fletcher really stood out at times.

fletcher always had good physical attributes but was a bit weak - easily solved with gym work. one of gibson's biggest problems is the fact he's rather ponderous and it's hard to see how that can be changed.

most of fletcher's poor games came when he was played out of position on the right wing. gibson hasn't looked noticeably better in the middle than on the right.

fletcher has always impressed for scotland. gibson doesn't stand out for ireland.

Unread 05-01-2010, 07:56 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
fletcher is quick, especially over the first few yards. very good reaction time.

fletcher was far better in the reserves than gibson has ever been. fletcher really stood out at times.

fletcher always had good physical attributes but was a bit weak - easily solved with gym work. one of gibson's biggest problems is the fact he's rather ponderous and it's hard to see how that can be changed.

most of fletcher's poor games came when he was played out of position on the right wing. gibson hasn't looked noticeably better in the middle than on the right.

fletcher has always impressed for scotland. gibson doesn't stand out for ireland.
And, Dude, er, there you have it.

Unread 05-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

you can definitely tell that Gibson has a fair bit of Norn in him, the dopey £#%&!er

only kidding

Unread 05-01-2010, 08:32 PM
redhegemony

Quote:

Ok in terms of attributes all we have is that Gibson is a bit ponderous (at times) he can clearly work on passing and moving and his range of passing ought to be superior given his ball striking. He will learn the harrying that Fletcher has in spades.

Ralph Milne would impress for Scotland

A jury wouldn't convict on that evidence my learned friend.

Unread 05-01-2010, 08:42 PM
wonky no

should i get involved?

no probably not.

the scape goat herders get nowty when roused.

gibson was far better than anderson against leeds. the post game player stats and ratings proved that.

damn i did get involved

Unread 05-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
should i get involved?

no probably not.

gibson was far better than anderson against leeds. the post game player stats and ratings proved that.

damn i did get involved
As much as Ive nearly lost patienc with Anderson, I thought he had the better game of the 2 centre mids.

Unread 05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
As much as Ive nearly lost patienc with Anderson, I thought he had the better game of the 2 centre mids.
in what way? and i'm not being argumentative, honestly, i'm really interested to know why people thought he played better.

Unread 05-01-2010, 08:59 PM
silv

Quote:
I thought he was better. Better passing and was running his fat arse across the midfield. Gibson should've gone off

Unread 05-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Stickman

Quote:
should i get involved?

no probably not.

damn i did get involved
Quote:
in what way? and i'm not being argumentative, honestly, i'm really interested to know why people thought he played better.
Thought he was one of 3 players that rose to it when the game got a little 'feisty'. Wes, Roon and himself. Flying into tackles and harassing all over the pitch.

Mind you - he did £#%&! all of note. They were both below par.

Unread 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down Re: Gibson v Fletcher

Anderson is now nothing more than a hybrid of another fat midfielder from days gone by......Webberson

Unread 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Oi stop the hijacking keep the Brazilian boy out of it.

Unread 05-01-2010, 09:31 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Thought he was one of 3 players that rose to it when the game got a little 'feisty'. Wes, Roon and himself. Flying into tackles and harassing all over the pitch.

Mind you - he did £#%&! all of note. They were both below par.
my theory is this.

gibson 'looks' slow, 'looks' lost but he isn't. he really isn't. he isn't dynamic. he has a great touch though and his passing is probing when its right to be so. gibson was the only player on the pitch who tried to put his foot on the ball.
he set rooney up 3 times, once with the best pass of the game when rooney fluffed a difficult chance and at least twice by playing a through ball through the middle. he also passed twice through to berbs. plus he thinks like a midfielder, hanging back when we push forward making himself available for an easy pass from the wings.

anderson 'looks' more dynamic, 'looks' more decisive by the nature of his running but in truth he isn't. he stands to far off his man then darts towards him forcing the pass, then darts again to the next man when he is bypassed
by a simple ball. he tackles side on, never intercepts the ball. his tackles look meaty but intruth he is to far behind play to do it consistently.

Unread 05-01-2010, 11:15 PM
jem

gibson and anderson would both have been helped by not having obertan and welbeck either side of them - gibson played quite well. fletch dreams of the touch gibson has (not to mention the shot).

fletch is a lightweight. the idea that he's suddenly jamie murrayfied himself is faintly ridiculous. if he scores the winner against birmingham, I want to see him flex his £#%&!ing muscles. as £#%&!ing if.

kudos to fletch for wearing a short-sleeved shirt when rooney was wearing gloves the other week, though.

Unread 05-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:

That is by far the clincher for me.

Before spending 18 months out he ran games in his sleep

Unread 05-01-2010, 11:29 PM
jem

he should wake up.

david jones looked like the new bryan robson in the reserves.

forget jamie murray, fletch is more like hagrid now.

Unread 06-01-2010, 01:47 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
he should wake up.

He really didn't.

I wish Gibson would run around a bit. Seems to be all that impresses some football followers.

Unread 06-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
gibson and anderson would both have been helped by not having obertan and welbeck either side of them - gibson played quite well. fletch dreams of the touch gibson has (not to mention the shot).

fletch is a lightweight. the idea that he's suddenly jamie murrayfied himself is faintly ridiculous. if he scores the winner against birmingham, I want to see him flex his £#%&!ing muscles. as £#%&!ing if.

kudos to fletch for wearing a short-sleeved shirt when rooney was wearing gloves the other week, though.
i've just gone vodka blind but even this post offends me (apart from the opening gambit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
he should wake up.

how the £#%&! did such a wum get made a mod?

i'm sooo jealous

Unread 06-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
He really didn't.

I wish Gibson would run around a bit. Seems to be all that impresses some football followers.
It's nothing to do with running around like a headless chicken. It's about mobility, and that's something Gibson doesn't have. Unfortunately for him it comes in pretty useful for a central midfielder who wants to play in the premier league.

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Lok

I don't think I've ever met anyone who isn't Irish that likes Gibson. It's as if they're desperate for united to have another Keane.

It isn't going to happen. The lad isn't even nearly good enough. Fergie is just giving the lump some playing time in the hope of raising his value when he signs for a championship club in the summer.

I honestly don't think he's good enough for the Premiership let alone united ffs

To compare him to Fletcher is ridiculous. It's like you're admitting he's shit but holding blind hope that he'll get better because another player did it once
Closed Thread