United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:41 AM
MarkG

Default Duncan Edwards - The One True United Legend

A break from the norm and something a bit more serious I'd like your feedback on. Duncan has always been the most important United player to me and I find it amazing that some fans have no idea who he is.

A true United fan is defined by whether they know who Duncan Edwards is.

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM
thatsfuctit

ridiculous title for a thread tbf

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Cream

Never heard of him.

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:44 AM
HotChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Never heard of him.
Think he's something to do with Martin Edwards?

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:48 AM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

The trouble is if januzai for example had died in an accident over the summer, people would be saying he was going to be x y or z. When young players die it is tragic, but we don't know how they would have progressed.

Lots of players never full potential. I really struggle with people saying he would have been the best etc. maybe he would have, but you get my point.

It is harder to set a more tragic scene, than a team of young players being in a plane crash. Sad times.

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:49 AM
guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Never heard of him.
You'd recognise him if you saw him. Bald, good in the pool.

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM
guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaFredsBigShoe
The trouble is if januzai for example had died in an accident over the summer, people would be saying he was going to be x y or z. When young players die it is tragic, but we don't know how they would have progressed.

Lots of players never full potential. I really struggle with people saying he would have been the best etc. maybe he would have, but you get my point.

It is harder to set a more tragic scene, than a team of young players being in a plane crash. Sad times.
Except he played 150 odd games for United and lots for arguably the best national team in the world at the time. Whereas Jana's played a couple of good games from a handful of appearances.

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Charlestown Rouge

By coincidence, my History teacher was also a boring £#%&!er in a crew neck jumper with a somewhat tenuous grasp of the facts that he was trying to disseminate.

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:54 AM
HotChip

Quote:

Its a great point, we actually 'like'? our legends to die young. Keeps them alive forever. Lennon/Morrison/Joplin/Hendrix/Foe

Forever in our minds in that snap shot of time. No soiling as time passes as you realise they were just humans and can be a bit shit.

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Except he played 150 odd games for United and lots for arguably the best national team in the world at the time. Whereas Jana's played a couple of good games from a handful of appearances.

I don't feel you are open to debate, it was an example. It's like talking about immigration and have to say i am not racist first.

Edwards was a talent, I am not sure the levels to which people talk about him are reasonable that is all .

Imagine Torres after Liverpools first season then.

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Harri Jaffa

"I grew up with the greats...

...well I didn't grow up with them i'm not old enough"

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChip
Its a great point, we actually 'like'? our legends to die young. Keeps them alive forever. Lennon/Morrison/Joplin/Hendrix/Foe

Forever in our minds in that snap shot of time. No soiling as time passes as you realise they were just humans and can be a bit shit.

Great point, that Foe gag has me in stitches, you need to pm some of the lads that one, £#%&! KFC and that. Genius - keep them coming.

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:04 AM
guerreiro

Quote:
I don't feel you are open to debate, it was an example. .
I'm just debating your example was shit, nothing else.

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

what £#%&!ing cretinous claptrap - do you know anything about United ?

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM
MarkG

Had quite a few people say it's only because they died young in a plane crash that they are remembered as legends.

What insensitive ignorance. Anyone who does their research will know that team were set to dominate European football for the next 5 years after the tragedy. As for Edwards, countless people who saw him play said he was the best they'd ever seen. And Sir Bobby said he was the only player that ever made him feel inferior on a football pitch.

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
I don't feel you are open to debate, it was an example. It's like talking about immigration and have to say i am not racist first.

Edwards was a talent, I am not sure the levels to which people talk about him are reasonable that is all .

Imagine Torres after Liverpools first season then.
I think that if you look at the stature of the people who queue up to pay tribute to him, you have to take them seriously.

When Bobby Charlton says that he was the only player that ever made him feel inferior, it's not like Jamie Redknapp calling yet another average nobody a "top, top player".

We live in a world of hyperbole nowadays, but even though I never saw him live I respect the people who did enough to take their word.

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG
A break from the norm and something a bit more serious I'd like your feedback on. Duncan has always been the most important United player to me and I find it amazing that some fans have no idea who he is.

A true United fan is defined by whether they know who Duncan Edwards is.

http://t.co/4bGKS0nngn
Good effort this week - nice to see something different.

Maybe could have done with upping the production values and dropping in a bit of footage though.

Get some more studio gear on your Christmas list ?

Enjoyed it though.

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

"Duncan has always been the most important United player to me"

How many times have you seen him play?

Unread 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM
MarkG

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
"Duncan has always been the most important United player to me"

How many times have you seen him play?
Irrelevant comment. My point is he's the most important player in our history to me. You don't have to agree with that but mocking my view because I didn't see him play is flawed.

A blind man never sees how good Ronaldo is but he listens.

Unread 05-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG
A blind man never sees how good Ronaldo is but he listens.
Closed Thread