View Poll Results: New Old Trafford.
Development of current stadium 81 66.94%
Shiny new one please, on footprint or directly next to. 29 23.97%
Shiny one please not bothered if they move it across town 2 1.65%
Fold the club. 9 7.44%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-02-2024, 11:12 PM
Offerington

God i love Old Trafford, warts and all. Some of the best memories of my lifetime in that gaff.

Unread 07-02-2024, 12:34 AM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Which bits other than the roof can be changed? Were you against the other redevelopments (north stand, quadrants etc...) as they all fundamentally changed the stadium to something unrecognisable to how it was pre-95.
My seat still looks the same as it did in 1984.

Unread 07-02-2024, 12:59 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
you keep telling yourself that.

Unread 07-02-2024, 10:21 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
Red? I don't think they're planing on changing that.

Unread 07-02-2024, 10:49 AM
Hans Rimmer

It's time for the club to finally take the issue of the rail line out of the equation, which has strangled development back to the PLC days.

The club owns tonnes of buildable land, so just move it. Keep the playing area as a fan park of something. Plaster the hardstanding with markings of where particular players scored iconic goals, or something.

Unread 07-02-2024, 10:53 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Seems like it's the actual playing area that people are not keen on being £#%&!ed about with. Not many seem to care too much for the stands/building. I suppose concreting over the pitch would be a little sad.

Personally, two new quadrants, stick another tier on the SBC stand, and have a fifth quadrant smack bang in the middle of that. How many other clubs have got five quadrants? 800 million quid, 95,000 capacity and corporate facilities the envy of the league. Job done.
Where would you put the TV gantry in a re-developed stadium?

Unread 07-02-2024, 10:57 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Where would you put the TV gantry in a re-developed stadium?

Unread 07-02-2024, 11:29 AM
no fun

If, as some have suggested, the south stand is developed to go over the railway line and beyond, there would be a number of problems;

1. This would mean the dismantling of the Stretford end bridge which I use when attending a game…without this I would need to walk back towards the forecourt which is a huge inconvenience, and furthermore I would need to walk past the away fans exit, which could put me at great risk of assault

2. The properties on Railway Rd and beyond that would have to be demolished (assuming MUFC obtain a compulsory purchase order) - current residents are likely to challenge this

3. The flats either side of the Stretford end bridge are occupied by tenants of Trafford Housing trust. Were these to be demolished then the Local Authority would have a statutory duty to rehouse all the tenants, and because of Thatchers disastrous Right to Buy scheme there are no suitable properties to move them to….so think on, if the redevelopment of Old Trafford is cancelled or delayed, it’s all Thatchers fault

Unread 07-02-2024, 02:14 PM
Hans Rimmer

I do wonder if re-devlopment was explored, something like this could be done witn the south, incorporating a station and lines running through.

Can we not just demolish the north stand and move the pitch about 10m?

Unread 07-02-2024, 02:24 PM
tatty

I’d be very surprised if any meaningful amount of money is spent on the ground whether it is new build or major redevelopment.

Ratcliffe will claim that he’s listened to fans and decided to just add a couple of sheets of corrugated iron to the roof and a new wireless router from Curry’s.

It’s just Ratcliffe/Glazers putting it out there to have fans believing there’s a whole new world arriving.

Unread 07-02-2024, 02:39 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I’d be very surprised if any meaningful amount of money is spent on the ground whether it is new build or major redevelopment.

Ratcliffe will claim that he’s listened to fans and decided to just add a couple of sheets of corrugated iron to the roof and a new wireless router from Curry’s.

It’s just Ratcliffe/Glazers putting it out there to have fans believing there’s a whole new world arriving.
From a business point of view, the stadium is a massively under utilised asset. Money spent on making it configurable for other events would pay for itself and be a good investment.

The research project they commissioned probably told them that a standard extension wouldn't be worth it. It would be a large capital outlay that would take a long time to pay back. The only way to make it pay is probably to knock most down and make it multi configurable space with far better corporate facilities.

Unread 07-02-2024, 02:41 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
From a business point of view, the stadium is a massively under utilised asset. Money spent on making it configurable for other events would pay for itself and be a good investment.

The research project they commissioned probably told them that a standard extension wouldn't be worth it. It would be a large capital outlay that would take a long time to pay back. The only way to make it pay is probably to knock most down and make it multi configurable space with far better corporate facilities.
Indeed, which is probably what they will go for.

Unread 07-02-2024, 03:05 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
The only way to make it pay is probably to knock most down and make it multi configurable space with far better corporate facilities.
that's fine, as long as it looks like old trafford.

Unread 07-02-2024, 03:07 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
that's fine, as long as it looks like old trafford.
It's not fine, not fine at all...

Unread 07-02-2024, 03:18 PM
est.1878

its 2024, do we even need a stadium?

500m apple pro vision fans sat at home pants off relax ordering utd collab maccies to their sofa with sound effects mixture of 90s OT recordings and songs from the bathtub vol 2

we did much better in empty lockydown stadiums from what I can recall (FWICR)

Unread 07-02-2024, 03:23 PM
Ethers

Take me home, United Road
To the multi configurable space I call home
To Old Trafford, to see United or some other event with first class corporate facilities
Take me home, United Road

Unread 07-02-2024, 03:27 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
It's not fine, not fine at all...
well... if it were complete and looked like a single, unified design, obvs.

either that or it should look like a colourful sea urchin shell space ship, holding 200k.

Unread 07-02-2024, 03:30 PM
Neo

Find it hard to understand how anyone can call themselves a genuine Red if they want a new stadium to replace Old Trafford.

There are very few things left in the modern day version of world football that still carry the hallmarks of what made the game so beautiful.

The great, historic stadiums are one of them, and Old Trafford is right up there as one of the most historic in all Europe.

Twitter Reds who've never been to a game foaming at the mouth for a shiny, new identikit bowl, ffs.

Wouldn't get reactions like this with 'The Emirates' or 'The Etihad':

Unread 07-02-2024, 03:31 PM
Parlabane

Is OT even that bad ? personally I don't think so - it needs expanding and updating a bit but seriously spending £1 Billion - £2 billion is absoloute madness and could be spent better elsewhere.

To me I go to the match to support the team, meet my mates before and after the game have a laugh and have a couple of beers - I don't want to spend all afternoon there eating and drinking and doing the whole United fan experience.

Unread 07-02-2024, 03:51 PM
est.1878

GMP have probably got a sleeper cell infiltrating the board to ensure we don't ever get a 200K stadium

could easy do 250k for weekend games imo. tickets for £5 for all local schools, double supporter club allocations, 10k away fans. ghastly actually, lets stick with 75